10 Replies Latest reply: May 9, 2012 4:11 AM by Trevor.Dennis RSS

Will a System Restore Lose My CS6 Activation

Trevor.Dennis MVP

I've lost both of my Raid0 arrays on start-up today, and Win7 start-up repair has not fixed it, so I am looking at a System Restore.  I'll probably have to go back to before I installed CS6 full release, and I am wondering if I am going to remove CS6 with the Restore without decativating it.   My Program files are all on my SSD boot drive and OK, and I have full backup for the two raid0 arrays.

• 1. Re: Will a System Restore Lose My CS6 Activation
          Pete.Green Adobe Employee

You should be able to reactivate on the same computer.

If you have trouble, you can call customer service to help with the activations.

• 2. Re: Will a System Restore Lose My CS6 Activation
            Trevor.Dennis MVP

Thanks Pete.  I'd decided not to risk it and was going to deactivate CS6, but when I opened it, it was asking if I wanted to continue the Trial, or input the serial number.  Well the serial number was in the confirmation email in my Outlook PST file, which is on one of those raid0 arrays!   Fortunately, I had also written it down, and I could have got it from 'My Orders' page as well.

The thing is, Deactivate is greyed out in the CS6 Help menu.

OK.  I can see what has happened.  Windows 7 has already tried to repair the start-up and done a restore.  When I open CS6 I am back to the beta version, so my question is moot.  It's going to be one of thos days.

• 3. Re: Will a System Restore Lose My CS6 Activation
              Pete.Green Adobe Employee

Alright,

Thanks for the update.

See if you can just run an uninstall of the beta, then install the release CS6.

• 4. Re: Will a System Restore Lose My CS6 Activation
                Noel Carboni Community Member

Sorry to hear about your problems, Trevor.

If you do enter the serial number again, and it activates okay, then the question remains:

Did you just use up your first and second activations, or just the first?  I think I'd get around to installing Photoshop on your laptop pretty soon so that you'll know.

-Noel

• 5. Re: Will a System Restore Lose My CS6 Activation
                  Trevor.Dennis MVP

Going from bad to worse here.  Trying to uninstall CS6 beta from the Control panel > Programs results in a fail, so I will have to use the cleaner.  I have DL'd it, and I see it is for the Creative Suite.  Is it going to remove all my Adobe apps, or just CS6 beta, or what? 

Every time I have to restart I have a 20 minute wait while it tries to decide if the raid drives want to play nicely or not.  The drives do not appear in Disk management window either btw, so I think I need to dip into the BIOS next to see if the drives are there.  Surely two raid0 arrays would not fail at the same time from drive problems?  It has to be raid driver or Mainboard.  I have started a thread on the Premiere Pro Hardware forum, so I'll go check that for progress.

ShadowProtect is a nice app, but I don't have the spare capacity to to uncompress the data to - there is a lot of it.  I think I can run from a Shadowprotect virtual environment, but I'd have to work out how to make that happen. 

• 6. Re: Will a System Restore Lose My CS6 Activation
                    Trevor.Dennis MVP

Well I have got one of the arrays back, and it is the big one with My Documents and my Outlook pst file.  Good news in that I have immediate access to the work I did last night, and need for tomorrow.  Bad news in that with one array working, it now indicates a possible drive failure in the other array.   There is hundreds of hours of work in video projects on that drive.  Some of it is in a straight backup but a bit out of date, and some of it is backed up with ShadowProtect and fully up to date.  I don't need any of that data right away though.

I'm thinking another 2Tb USB3 external is called for to get a second straight backup of the My Documents, and I might move the Outlook PST file back to the SSD.

Noel, I am wondering the same thing about the activations.  I have CS5 installed on my laptop as well as this system, but I don't get on with the smaller screen, so never do any serious editing on it.  It is also the laptop I mentioned as running slowly.

• 7. Re: Will a System Restore Lose My CS6 Activation
                      Trevor.Dennis MVP

The cleaner gave me options of which apps to remove, and CS6 is now reinstalled and activated. I bet I have used both activations though!

• 8. Re: Will a System Restore Lose My CS6 Activation
                        Noel Carboni Community Member

Not necessarily, but I don't know how sophisticated Photoshop's hardware detection algorithms are.

The activation process I use in my own software is smart enough to know, in cooperation with the server, that a reactivation is occurring on the very same machine that was activated on before.

-Noel

• 9. Re: Will a System Restore Lose My CS6 Activation
                          Trevor.Dennis MVP

Noel Carboni wrote:

Not necessarily, but I don't know how sophisticated Photoshop's hardware detection algorithms are.

The activation process I use in my own software is smart enough to know, in cooperation with the server, that a reactivation is occurring on the very same machine that was activated on before.

-Noel

Ahhhh....  I think that is what Pete was getting at back up the thread.  That makes sense Noel, and is well deserving of 10 points and a thataboy

• 10. Re: Will a System Restore Lose My CS6 Activation
                            Trevor.Dennis MVP

Just to summarise this unhappy event, I have not confirmed, but it looks very like one of the pair of 300Gb Velociraptors that I used as my video Projects drive, has failed.  After several very slow restarts, Windows 7 gave up trying to initialise the array on start-up, and the other raid0 which has a pair of 1Tb WD Blacks, became available and the system boots in the usual time now.

I got hold of another 2TB WD USB3 external today, and backed up the contents of the second raid0 array directly between the drives. ShadowProtect is restoring the failed raid0 array to the new drive as well. That will give me two backups of my main data drive. I'll also copy the video projects to another drive to give me three copies of that data (including the Shadow Protect image)

I now have 9Tb spread over 11 drives (if I include the failed Projects array drive which will have to be replaced). That has to multiply the chance of failure, and I am thinking Shadow protect is best $90 I ever spent. You don't even know it's there, and you can set the incremental save points as little as 15 minutes apart I think.

So a good outcome to what started as a very bad day.  Thanks Noel and Pete for your input.