21 Replies Latest reply: Oct 5, 2012 8:36 AM by ewilkie47 RSS

Can't access pdf files stored on SD card

rglindmeier Community Member

I have a new Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, running Android 4.0.3.  Adobe reader 10.2 will not acknowledge or access pdf files stored on the micro SD card.  It will read pdf files stored in the device's internal memory just fine.  Other types of files (jpg, mp3) stored on the SD card are read just fine from other applications.  Pdf files stored on the micro SD card can be read just fine using the Polaris Office application.  It seems to be an issue related soley to the Acrobat reader app on my tablet.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the application with no change in behavior.  I know it's supposed to work because I use Reader 10.2 on my HTC android phone, running Android 2.3.4, and it reads files from the SD card just fine.

One odd thing I noted is that when I read an online turtorial on this app, it showed the menu had an "Open" item.  My menu for Reader 10.2 doesn't have an open function.  The choices are "About Adobe Reader", "Getting Started" and "Clear Recent Documents".  I called Samsung support, and they felt it was an Adobe issue, possibly how 10.2 works inside of Ice Cream Sandwich, so they bounced me to Adobe.  Any thoughts?

Russ

• 1. Re: Can't access pdf files stored on SD card
          Pat Wibbeler techies

If you are seeing these menu items, then you are in the "Recent Documents" tab. If you look at the top of this tab, there is an icon and the word "Documents". If you tap on that, you will be in the "Documents" view which should show you the contents of the SD card. Here, the menu will only show "About Adobe Reader". Can you please confirm that you've left the "Recent Documents" list and entered "Documents"?

We've had several users indicate to us that the "Documents" looks more like a label than a navigable item, so perhaps this is part of the confusion?

Thanks for your feedback!

Pat

• 2. Re: Can't access pdf files stored on SD card

Thanks for the quick reply, Pat.  You are correct, the menu I quoted was in the "Recently Viewed" tab.  However, when I tap on "Documents", things only get worse.  Now the menu now only has one item, "About Adobe Reader", and it shows the two pdf files stored in the internal memory of the Galaxy Tab, but no the pdf files I have stored on the SD card.  I've attached a screen shot showing what is available to me.  I don't see any opportunity to browse for files on the SD card, even though the gray bar at the top of the screen appears to show the path to the SD card.

Russ

• 3. Re: Can't access pdf files stored on SD card
              Pat Wibbeler techies

The screenshot was stripped. I don't think it comes through if you respond via email. You can attach it in the web form response, or you can mail it to adobereader-android@adobe.com along with a link to this thread. One other thought: Are you sure you can see the contents of the SD card in other apps? We've seen problems with cards that were corrupt, though it's certainly possible there is an issue in the app too. Thanks for your help in tracking it down.

• 4. Re: Can't access pdf files stored on SD card

Yes, I am able to access files on the SD card in other apps.  I've transferred via USB cable and Windows Explorer three types of files to the SD card, jpg photo files, mp3 music files, and pdf files.  The photo files are found automatically by the Gallery app on the tablet, as are the music files by the music player app.  Even the pdf files on the SD card are readable by an app called Polaris Office that was included with the Samsung preload.  None of these files exist on the internal memory, so they are absolutely being read from the SD card.  So, the problem appears to be isolated to the Reader 10.2 app.  I will attach the screenshot by replying in the forum.  The screenshot is a .png file, I hope that's OK.

Looking forward to your reply,

Russ

• 5. Re: Can't access pdf files stored on SD card

Pat,

Here is the screenshot.  The two files you see are stored in internal memory.  None of the files stored on the SD card are shown.  At the bottom, you can see my only menu choice is "About Adobe reader".

Russ

Screenshot_2012-05-09-19-56-13.png

• 6. Re: Can't access pdf files stored on SD card
                    Pat Wibbeler techies

Thanks for the screenshot. I'm asking a few other people if they have better ideas =)

• 7. Re: Can't access pdf files stored on SD card

I appreciate your chasing this down for me.  It sounds like you've never run across this before.  I wonder if it is some sort of bug between Reader 10.2 and ICS?  Or more specifically, Samsung's skin of ICS?

Russ

• 8. Re: Can't access pdf files stored on SD card
                        Gaurav Jain (GJ) Adobe Employee

Hi,

Thanks for the screenshot.  Could you also attach a screenshot of the 'Files' application that does list the PDF files stored on the SD card?

Regards,

-Gaurav

• 9. Re: Can't access pdf files stored on SD card

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the 'Files' application.  I copied the files to the SD card using Windows Explorer from my PC.  This was done with the SD card installed in the tablet, the tablet tethered to the PC via a USB cable, and the tablet and SD card connected as an external drive.  Could you please clarify what it is you want a screenshot of?

Russ

• 10. Re: Can't access pdf files stored on SD card

Here's a couple of screenshots that might help you verify that the pdf files are indeed on the SD card.  The screenshots are of Windows Explorer on my PC, showing the files on the tablet.  The first shot shows the folder "Tablet" expanded.  This folder represents the nternal memory of the tablet.  There are two pdf files stored under Download>Adobe Reader.

Tablet Screenshot.jpg

The next shot shows the folder "Card" expanded.  This folder represents files stored on the SD card.  "Tablet" and "Card" folders is how Samsung sets up the storage on the device, I didn't create those folders.  I duplicated the sub-folder folder structure from the "Tablet" folder.  Here you can see five pdf files stored in the Download>Adobe Reader folder.  Also underneath the "Card" folder, there are folders for "Music" and "Pictures".  In those forlders I have mp3 and jpg files, respectively.  Those files are read just fine from the Gallery and Music Player application on the tablet.  In addition, the five pdf files under the "Card" folder can also be read from the Polaris Office app that was installed as part of the Samsung preload.

SD Card Screenshot.jpg

Russ

• 11. Re: Can't access pdf files stored on SD card
                              Pat Wibbeler techies

I think Gaurav is hoping to see a screenshot on the device of the SD card in another app. This will show for sure that the device has mounted the SD card and that it's visible to other apps. I've used this app for file browsing:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.estrongs.android.pop&feature=search_resu lt#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5lc3Ryb25ncy5hbmRyb2lkLnBvcCJd

Pat

• 12. Re: Can't access pdf files stored on SD card
                                Pat Wibbeler techies

To answer your question about ICS, I know we've tested this on ICS (I've used it on the Motorola Xoom with ICS). It is possible that it's something specific to the device/oem ICS skin, but most of the time we see problems like this it turns out to be an unmounted SD card.

• 13. Re: Can't access pdf files stored on SD card

Pat,

I downloaded and installed the ES File Explorer app and installed it.  Very strange behavior.  I'm not able to access files on the SD in ESFE.  This would indicate that the card is not mounting properly.  What remains unexplained is how the other native apps on the tablet are able to access the files on the SD card (photo and music files).  I unmounted the card and removed it from the tablet.  I inserted the micro SD into an SD adapter and inserted the adapter into the card reader on my laptop.  Windows explorer reads the card perfectly with all the files just where they're supposed to be.  Just like when I was reading the card via the USB cable when the card was mounted in the tab.

I also installed ESFE on my HTC Android phone.  ESFE reads the files on the SD card just fine, although the files on the SD card are shown all mixed in with the files in internal storage.  But I'm guessing that's the way it's supposed to be.  I was thinking that you would navigate to the top of the tree and then chose the SD card like you would another drive in Windows Explorer.  But I guess not.

At any rate, something's not kosher with the SD card in my tablet.  The only thing I know to do at this point is to buy another SD card and test it in the tablet and hope for the best unless you have any other ideas.  Thoughts?

Russ

• 14. Re: Can't access pdf files stored on SD card

Okay, here's an update...

I went and bought a new 32GB micro SD card, mounted it and copied a few test files to the card from my laptop via the USB tether.  It behaved exactly as the 16GB card I was using previously.  I called Samsung support.  I explained the entire situation and she was a bit perplexed.  She pointed me to a file management utility that was pre-loaded on the table called My Files.  Somehow I missed the fact that there was a file browser already installed on the tablet.  I opened the My Files application.  Unlike the ES File Explorer app you had me download, it read the SD card and its contents just fine.  Furthermore, when I tapped on my test pdf file from the My Files browser, it opened up in Adobe Reader 10.2.  Further still, when I open Reader 10.2 directly, the test file on the SD card now shows in the recently viewed section (not surprising), and when the file is tapped from there, it opens in Reader 10.2.  But if I go to "Documents", only files stored in internal memory are shown.  No joy on reading the SD card.

It was becoming obvious that some apps were reading the SD card and its contents perfectly, and some were not.  So I did some further testing with various applications.  In my brief analysis, I found only two apps that would not read the SD card:  Adobe Reader 10.2 and ES File Explorer.  I even downloaded an additional third party file browser utility app (Astro File Manager/Browser) and a third party pdf viewing app (APV PDF Viewer) for testing purposes, and they both read the SD card just fine.  Here is a list of apps that I've tested that have no problem reading files from the SD card:

APV PDF Viewer

Astro File Manager/Browser

Gallery

Music Player

My Files

Photo Editor

Play Music

Polaris Office

Video Player

And again, the apps I've tested that won't read directly from the SD card:

Adobe Reader 10.2

ES File Explorer

I couldn't care less about the lack of functionality of ESFE, but I certainly expect Reader 10.2 to play well with the SD card.  The bottom line here is that you have a problem with this application, at least as it relates to this device (Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (model GT-P3113))  or the specific skin of Android ICS installed on this device.  I've attached a screenshot from the tablet taken from the My Files file browser.  The screenshot shows a path of /Root/extSDCard/Test.  Test is a test folder I created on the external SD card.  Inside the test flder is one each of jpg, wmv, mp3 and pdf files.  Each of those files is recognized and opened in its appropriate application with the exception of the pdf file not being directly accessible from the Reader 10.2 browser.  In my mind this really nails the problem down to the Reader 10.2 application, or more specifically to the browser section of the application.  I stand ready to assist in any testing that you might think would help you troubleshoot this issue.

I await your reply,

Russ

Screenshot_2012-05-10-14-35-01.png

• 15. Re: Can't access pdf files stored on SD card
                                      Gaurav Jain (GJ) Adobe Employee

Hello Russ,

We really appreciate you taking time to share all these details, and yes I had earlier asked for the 'My Files' app (sorry about callign it just 'Files' which may have led to the confusion!).

This looks like a bug in Adobe Reader and we would be investigating the issue and trying to address it soon.

Thanks again!

Gaurav

• 16. Re: Can't access pdf files stored on SD card

Thanks, Gaurav.  I'd appreciate being kept in the loop as the issue is being resolved.  If you need me to test any updates on my device prior to public release, I'd be happy to assist.

Russ

• 17. Re: Can't access pdf files stored on SD card
                                          Pat Wibbeler techies

I'll second Gaurav's thanks for the help!

• 18. Re: Can't access pdf files stored on SD card
                                            ewilkie47

I had the same problem on NEXUS7.  Played around for a while and noticed a little triangle under the word DOCUMENTS.  If I tap just right I get a popup asking if I want ALL PDF or Folder View.   All PDF is a blank page, Folder View lists the PDF's on my SD card and I can also change the folder I want to look in.  Hope this works for you.

• 19. Re: Can't access pdf files stored on SD card

Thanks for the reply.  In my case, it was a bug in Adobe Reader.  The folks at Adobe diagnosed the bug and had a fix issued in an update in an unbelievably short period of time.  Truly professional, responsive customer service.  I was very impressed.

Russ

• 20. Re: Can't access pdf files stored on SD card
                                                mmChuck

Rrr. I have a new Nexus 7 (16GB) and have put all my PDFs into a folder "PDFs" under the file system root. If I use My Files to navigate to this folder and a file therein, double tapping it offers me the option of opening it with Adobe Reader, which it then duly does.

But if I open the Adobe Reader directly and try to see the PDFs folder, I can't seem to navigate to it.

• Adobe Reader v10.3.1 -- up to date as far as I can tell (2012-10-04)
                                                • Documents view, either All PDFs or Folder View -- both quite empty.
                                                • No external SD card -- this is the internal SD (which I believe is all that the Nexus 7 has!)

Would dearly love to use Adobe Reader and have it work correctly. I bought the Nexus primarily to read PDF files!

cbm

• 21. Re: Can't access pdf files stored on SD card
                                                  ewilkie47 Community Member

I am using a free app from the Google Play store call PDF Lock.  This app searches for and then lists all PDFs on my NEXUS7.  When I pick a PDF it then gives me a choice of readers I want to use, Adobe is one of them since it is installed.

It has the added advantage of being able to encrypt a pdf if you want to secure the information in it.  Just be sure to pick the password you want and remember it.  There is no way to update or retrieve it at present.  I guess you would have to uninstall and reinstall but I don't know if you could open files encrypted under the previous installation.

Hope this helps.