Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Reader X: document could not be printed, no pages selected

Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2012 May 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

When I try to print http://www.energy-regulators.eu/portal/page/portal/EER_HOME/CEER_5thBenchmarking_Report.pdf in Adobe Reader 10.1.3 it reports the following errors:

"The document could not be printed" and then "There were no pages selected".

Only the first 12 pages are printed.

The PDF properties say:

Application: Adobe InDesing CS5 (7.0.4)

PDF Producer: Adobe PDF Library 9.9

PDF Version: 1.6 (Acrobat 7.x)

I tried to print to some network printers: a HP with 224 MiB of RAM using the HP Universal Printing PS Driver v. 5.4 and a Canon with 2048 MiB of RAM and using the URF II Printer Driver v. 20.60.

Enabling the "Print As Image" option does not help with the problem.

Foxit Reader 5.1 prints the PDF file successfully.

All this was tested on the following 32-bit systems: MS Windows XP Pro. SP3 and Windows 7 SP1.

Can somebody give a workaround for printing the PDF file in Adobe Reader?

-- rpr.

This page is not shown well in Firefox (v.12) if tags are specified.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 16, 2012 May 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried doing a Repair of your Reader installation to see if it corrects the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2012 May 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LoriAUC,

have you tried to download and print the PDF file accessible on the link I provided? Can you print it at your installation of Adobe Reader 10.1.3? You suggest repairing my installation(s) of Adobe Reader as if you were able to print the file at your installation.

Before reporting the problem I tried printing on several machines that have 32-bit MS Windows XP Pro. SP3 or Windows 7 Pro. SP1 and the problem existed on all machines. But to satisfy you, I've just uninstalled the Reader on a Windows 7 Pro. SP1 machine, restarted Windows and installed it again using the AdbeRdr1013_en_US.exe installation file (from the download page for enterprise users). All that was to no avail as printing of the file still gives errors: "The document could not be printed" and then "There were no pages selected".

-- rpr.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2012 May 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to print from your pdf document, but only after I clicked the box next to "shrink oversized pages", as your document was slightly different dimensions than my 8.5 X 11 printer. Could that be the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2012 May 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just tried to print the file with "shrink oversized pages" option enabled but to no avail.

-- rpr.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2013 Apr 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had this problem today. I run Acrobat X 10.1.6, and LiveCycle ES2 9.0.0.2. I opened a 7-page Acrobat form in LiveCycle and did all the cleanup necessary. I sent it to my reviewer, who could not print it. We both got the same error message. I opened the form in LiveCycle and printed individual pages as PDF files until I got to the one that gave me error "CT bad param. invalid matrix". No clue what that means, but I was able to spot the location on the page where the problem was. I then went to the XML Source tab. Somehow I got this bit in there (no idea how- if anyone has any suggestions, I am all ears):

<caption placement="right" reserve="29.808mm">

<value>

<exData contentType="text/html">

<body xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xmlns:xfa="http://www.xfa.org/schema/xfa-data/1.0/" xfa:APIVersion="2.7.0.0"><p style="text-decoration:none;letter-spacing:0in">Check<span style="xfa-spacerun:yes"> </span><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman';font-size:11pt">Yes<span style="xfa-spacerun:yes"> </span></span><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman';font-size:11pt;font-style:italic">(fill out b)</span></p></body>

</exData>

</value>

<para vAlign="middle"/>

</caption>

I corrected it and the form works like a charm now. So poke around in the XML is my advice, I guess!

The segment above looks like this now:

<caption placement="right" reserve="25.481mm">

<value>

<text>Yes (fill out b)</text>

</value>

<para vAlign="middle" spaceAbove="0pt" spaceBelow="0pt" textIndent="0pt" marginLeft="0pt" marginRight="0pt"/>

<font size="11pt" typeface="Times New Roman" baselineShift="0pt"/>

</caption>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2013 Apr 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just checked my original problem (see the first post in the thread) on a MS Windows 7 SP1 64-bit with Adobe Reader 10.1.5 and I was able to print the PDF file correctly without any errors.

-- rpr.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2013 Jun 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran in to this same exact problem.  Found that all the printers the user was trying to print to were unavailable and offline.  Removed all printers and also removed all drivers from the Server Properties.  Then installed network printers that were available and online.  This resolved the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2014 Apr 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could this be a problem in the newest update of Acrobat Pro 10.1.9? I just started having this problem post the last update. I opened the same pdf files with Acrobat pro 9.5.5 and they print with no problems to any printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 22, 2014 Apr 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try setting your Preferences | Documents | View documents in PDF/A mode: to Never.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2014 May 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Setting Preferences | Documents | PDF/A View Mode to "Never" worked for me with a downloaded file with printing allowed but doc assembly, page extraction and signing not allowed (WIn 7 Pro, Adobe Reader XI version 11.0.06). The file had been made with Word 2007 for PDF version 1.5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 07, 2014 May 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. The pdf file which I received in an email kept giving me the option of only opening it with Adobe 7.  I saved the file to my desktop and opened it with adobe 10 with no problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2014 May 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I found a solution. Just go to Edit / Preferences, Category: General, at the bottom, uncheck Enable Protected Mode at startup. and Ready!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2015 Nov 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

carhlos    Community Member

Hi. I found a solution. Just go to Edit / Preferences, Category: General, at the bottom, uncheck Enable Protected Mode at startup. and Ready!!

This did it for me!.

What exactly have I disabled?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2016 Mar 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After  trying  many  things  this  did  it  for  me  also  ...what  effect  will  the  disabling  have  in  other  places?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 26, 2016 Oct 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. Acrobat was working fine before. I guess it was updated automatically and then I could not print. I downloaded the latest version today and installed it (v. 15.020.20039.7108) but I had the same problem. I went to Edit/Preferences and in the category Security (Enhanced) unchecked Enable Protected Mode at startup and it worked! (After closing and starting Acrobat again)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2014 Oct 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First let me state that this is my solution on a Macintosh running 10.7.5 and Acrobat Pro X (with all the latest updates).

This problem started for me just this last weekend. I have been to every so-called solution that I could find via a Google search and NONE of these "solutions" even by the self-tagged "experts" work. PERIOD!

I decided to follow one suggestion to install Acrobat Pro 9. However, instead of uninstalling Acrobat Pro X first, I left it installed.

During the initial startup of Acrobat 9 after installation I was offered the option of installing an Extra feature called Adobe PDF Printer which allows me to "Create Adobe PDF files from any application by printing to Adobe PDF Printer". I opted in to that extra.

Once Acrobat Pro 9 had started I tested it using one of the PDF files that had failed to print with the dreaded "No pages selected......" error messages. THE FILE PRINTED AS EXPECTED!

I then decided I would uninstall Acrobat Pro X, but on a whim decided to try to print the same PDF file that had just printed using Acrobat Pro 9 one more time. IT PRINTED!

All I can figure out is that somehow selecting the option to have Acrobat Pro 9 install the option for allowing other applications to create a PDF repaired something within the Mac operating system. Just a guess.

Hope this helps someone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2014 Dec 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem going on with a WIN 7, 64 bit, system. My problems began after my last update as well. I uninstalled the program and reinstalled it as "Complete" this time and not "Typical"! After the install I went straight to updates and updated it.

Went back to my drawing and tried to print and received same error.

I also tried selecting a page in print as well as print by image, no results here either.

shor439

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2015 Oct 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Believe it or not....simple reboot did it for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2019 Feb 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I can faithfully reproduce this error on a Mac running OSX 10.13.6 and Acrobat Pro DC Version 2018.009.20050 by checking Print As Image in the print dialog. I do this on occasion when printing to an inkjet printer for a better looking print. I have less trouble when the resolution is set to 300dpi, more trouble at 600 dpi with this exact set of dialogs ("The document could not be printed" and then "There were no pages selected."

I can resolve the problem every time by UNchecking Print As Image in the print dialog and printing instead as postscript.

I suspect that if it is occurring for folks who do not have Print As Image checked, it may have something to do with the kind of print driver you are using. If it is a raster-based print driver try selecting a lower resolution. Or just use a postscript-based print driver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines