Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reader X : change 'Save As' default folder

Feb 27, 2011 Feb 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Reader 9 after using CTRL+SHIFT+S to save a downloaded PDF all subsequent PDFs were saved went to the same folder of my choice till I changed where to save them.

In Reader X (version 10.0.1, downloaded Sunday 27 Feb) they are sent to UserName>AppData>Local>Microsoft>Windows>Temporary Internet Files>Low>Content.IE5>LE2HGZ7X - or another similar folder of Reader X's choice.

That's quite a distance in clicks from where I'd like to keep the file, which is in UserName>Documents>Cuttings.

Is there a way to make Reader X remember my preference for the latter folder, as it did in version 9, please?

Looking forward to any suggestions,

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 104 Replies 104
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2011 Jun 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are having the exact same issue.  Is there anyway to use the Adobe Reader 9 settings to save in the same folder of a user's choice?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2011 Oct 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are experiencing the same problems(issues).  This is longer process to do what took a short time with the previous version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 23, 2011 Jun 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem is a constant annoyance.  No, belay that -- it's a constant interruption of my workflow.

A related problem in Reader X is that each time I do a save as I need to make an additonal click to choose between saving in pdf or txt format.  In Reader 9, the File menu provided both choices for the initial click.

Adobe, please give us back the functionality of Reader 9 for the Save As operations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2011 Oct 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone from Adobe please respond to this issue?  The problem is a constant and aggravating annoyance. Earlier versions did not have this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 21, 2011 Oct 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Could you please explain what exactly is the process that you are following.

As far as I could understand, you are saying that after opening any file in IE and upon subsequently saving it (using Ctrl + Shift + S), the default path shown is something else and not what you had used earlier.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks

Ankit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is correct – prior, we could place it from E-fax to the dept folder we needed and could also copy it to otber folders from there, now we have to go to the E-fax folders and place it in one folder then go out and go to the e-fax folder we placed it in and copy to the other folders we need it in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am really sorry, but am still not able to get the gist of your problem. Could you please explain the same in a more detailed way.

Also, could you please try updating to the latest version of Adobe Reader i.e. version 10.1.1 if you have already not done so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2012 Jun 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bizarre response from Adobe.

I am also having this problem.  I want an easy to find option to select default save locations for my working files.

OR

A decent explanation from Adobe on why that might be technically non-feasible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2015 Nov 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you kidding me? Have you read ANY of the other comments in this thread?

The common denominator is that we want the option to CHOOSE the default file where all Adobe downloaded files get saved!! We DON'T want them automatically saved to a TEMP file. (which is the only default option you offer). We want to CHANGE the DEFAULT!! Clear enough? Jesus. We want to set it and forget it!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ankit,

Here is a step by step for what happens in my workflow.  (1)  I open a pdf file that I found on the web. It loads into Adobe Reader, and want to save the file.  (2) I always save such files in the same folder (the folder is not My Documents, but this fact is not of consequence, as you wll see). (3)  In Adobe Reader I click File | Save As. Reader gives me a menu choice of PDF or Text, and I click PDF. (4) The screen then displays the Temporary Downloads directory of  my web browser (my browser is Opera). I do not want to save any pdf files in this directory. (5) I click the favorite folders button on that directory display, pick my usual downloads folder, and then click  the Save button.

Then a few minutes later when I want to save another pdf file that I found on the web, I have to go through all of these steps again. Adobe Reader does not remember what directory I have used for downloads, nor does it have a Preferences choice to set one or more user-specified preferred download directories.

The fact that Reader consistently wants to save to a browser's TEMPORARY directory as the default choice is a huge problem. If a user is in a hurry inadvertently saves there, the file will be lost when the browser is closed. Earlier versions of Reader used a user's pre-set download folder preference as the default, and remembered the last folder used during a session if the user made a save to a different folder. THIS IS HOW IT SHOULD BE.

In addition, the need for an additional click in step 3, to choose whether to save a pdf as text or a pdf is ridiculous.  Earlier versions of Reader provided both of those choices as seperate lines on the File menu.  This saves the user a step, which as it is now must be repeated over and over in sessions when many pdfs are beng saved from the web.

Thanks for your interest in refining what the problem is. Are you affiliated with Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2011 Oct 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just want to add my voice to this. Larry has spelled it our very well.

I have tried 10.1.1 - problem is still there.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2011 Oct 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am seeing the same in 10.1 also.   

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2011 Oct 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted to add some additional information that maybe helpful for support.

If someone from Adobe is readling this thread,  please note this issue  occurs on Windows XP Pro SP 3.  It also applies to saving a pdf from MS-Outlook 2007 as well as from a web browser.   Needless to say this is inconvient for the users and frustrating for those of us in a support role,  as their appears no fix is present, or if it is the solution is not easily findable.    If we the end user support could hearing something from a true Adobe support person would be greatly appreciated,  additionally this would also enhance customer satisification.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2011 Nov 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just spent a half an hour researching this very issue and found this thread.  Registered with Adobe just to voice my support on the topic. 

It seems so simple, but these Save As issues (1. No ability to preset destination folder; 2. No ability to preset file type; 3. Having to go through menu subsets just to select file type) is having a tremendous negative impact on workflow.

I am happy that Adobe is including extra tools and abilities to help one convert PDF's, but shouldn't saving a downloaded PDF as a PDF be the primary and/or easiest function of Adobe Reader?!? 

Thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2011 Nov 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stumbled upon this the same way AnnoyedIX did. I noticed that there were a number of old PDF files saved in this temporary folder that I wanted to delete. I have not found a way to locate the temporary folder other than when saving a PDF file. Only then can the files be deleted one at a time. Quite a pain since I do not want to keep these files on my hard drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2011 Dec 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to: Edit>Preferences>Documents(category)>Save Settings(on the right) and uncheck "Automatically save document changes to temporary file every: __ minutes (1-99).

I just tried it and it now saves new documents wherever I saved my last one.

By default, if you have a .pdf open, it saves a copy in the Temp Folder. Once it's saved the temp copy there, Acrobat stupidly thinks that's where the file should live and tries to save future copies (i.e. when you tell it to save a copy) there as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2011 Dec 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scratch that. The issue I'm having is when I open up a .pdf mail attachment in outlook and want to save it to my desktop. Even after I did the above fix, it still tries to save new copies into my outlook temporary folder.

It seems that Adobe's lack of designating a default "save-to" location puts it at the mercy of the location of Outlook's "secure temporary folder"

"C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLKfoldername"

Adobe, please add a "default save-to" folder option! For example, I'd love to be able to click: File>Save As>PDF and have the default save location be my desktop every time regardless of the current location of the .pdf I have open. It would be ever cooler if I could pick between the current location or my default location with a simple pulldown or button.

Message was edited by: LockShot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2014 Oct 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

click "edit" where in browser, Reader? Window?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2011 Dec 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We seem to have the same problem here. We have tryed to fix it, but nothing helped. Please provide a solution Adobe!

It doesn't matter from what location the document is opened, it doesn't hold a primary save location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2011 Dec 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There isn't much to say on this subject, but this...

I'd like to pay a visit to the developers' house who developed the Reader X program and rearrange their kitchen. Move the coffee machine under the sink, the coffee cups in the oven, the silverware to the bottom draw, etc. The changes would be permanent and the residents cannot relocate these items for security reasons. Every year or so revisit the place and play musical chairs with these items without the possibility that the residents being able to modify the settings. And for good measure, do the same with the closets as well...

At least the developers would know how the end users feel...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2012 Apr 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are downloading a pdf from the Internet, go to the preferences for the server application. For Firefox, click on Firefox in the menu bar, scroll down to Preferences, and a window will pop up. You will see the word Downloads. Click SAVE files to and browse until you find the folder you want all the pdfs to go to. That folder will automatically open up when you go to save a pdf that you have opened. BTW: I have been choosing the OPEN option on the pdfs rather than the Download option.

I am guessing the routine is similar for Safari.

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 02, 2012 Apr 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I understand what you are doing, but that would only work if you are view the pdf inside the browser.  When I click a pdf in a web site I have it load in Adobe Reader directly.  That is why the problem occurs.  Viewing pdfs in a browser drives me even more nuts than the problem discussed here (which didn't occur in earlier versions of Reader).

Thanks for you help, though.  Truly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 16, 2012 Apr 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bump...... I'm getting complaints here at work about this same issue, they're opening pdf's from outlook and having same issue as lockshot's.... Please fix! its driving everybody nuts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2012 Apr 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I just found a workaround for one of the problems here. When trying to save a PDF attachment in Outlook you always get prompted to save to the Outlook temporary folder time after time. If you display the message in the reading pane of Outlook by clicking on it once you can then go to the File/SaveAs/Save Attachments option in Outlook and that will bring you back the the previous place you saved your last item to. Not a perfect fix but saved me a bunch of time, hope it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines