• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hiding Dev Site

Participant ,
May 09, 2012 May 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While developing a new site ( ie: ClientSite.MyDomain.com ), is there a way to hide the ENTIRE site behind a password - like a Secure Zone, but for the entire site?  I want to ensure that no one can see the site content until we go live with the exception of the client and myself.  Thanks for any advice.

I tried to search for this topic, but am having difficulty searching for previous posts - all Adobe product results are pulling - I only want to see the BC results...

Brian

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 10, 2012 May 10, 2012

Best thing to do is to create a landing page as Liam stated. So even if they did get extremely lucky and guess the URL you would have to be even more lucky to guess the actual page file names. If the site is still in the trial mode and not upgraded it is not indexed by Google so they won't find it accidently.

What you are worried about has almost no chance of happening unless either you or the client shares the address.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
May 10, 2012 May 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Under that domain there is no way anyone can really go to it unless they know the domain.

There is currently no way for you to lock out the site as you suggest currently. You can create a landing page and set that to be the home page but to make all content secure and then unsecure it to go live is not practical or full proof.

Unless the client links it in all the years using the system no one has come across a website we have made.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Liam. I'm only concerned because certain clients have content which

could be controversial ( ie: political, religious, opinionated ). I'm not

talking about inappropriate content, simply hotly debated - cultural

talking points. My current client is concerned about D.O.S. attacks and

hacking attempts, which they have already occasionally endured on their old

site (different server/platform). This has me wondering about security,

what do I do if there is a hacking attempt/D.O.S. attack against a site

hosted on BC (nothing?). This is also why I was wondering about password

protecting the dev site.

What is the best thing to tell the client? Dev sites are indexed so they

probably won't be found?

Thanks,

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best thing to do is to create a landing page as Liam stated. So even if they did get extremely lucky and guess the URL you would have to be even more lucky to guess the actual page file names. If the site is still in the trial mode and not upgraded it is not indexed by Google so they won't find it accidently.

What you are worried about has almost no chance of happening unless either you or the client shares the address.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent, thank you - I'll use the landing page approach.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys!

FYI there's also a document on this very topic as well.

- http://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-2143

Cheers!

-Sidney

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Perfect, even better than I was expecting - thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines