11 Replies Latest reply: May 11, 2012 10:40 AM by Maghellan RSS

text appearance change

Maghellan Community Member

Wonder why the text in InDesign seems to get darker get a  slightly-bold"  looking after I place an Illustrator file? (gets back to normal looking if I remove the ai.file)

• 1. Re: text appearance change
          Michael Gianino Community Member

Are you talking about the appearance in InDesign, or in a printed or PDF'd copy? People used to report text looking bold on output if a transparency effect was placed over type and then flattened, but that was most likely when files were converted to PostScript (which has no native transparency) and flattened with Distiller. Exporting to PDF retains live transparency. This is just a guess, but do you think it applies to your situation?

• 2. Re: text appearance change
            Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

The emboldening effect is well known when transparency is added to the page, and it often shows on screen in the PDF as well, and even in print from low-resolution devices.

• 3. Re: text appearance change

Thanks for reply.

The print looks fine but not the PDF, annoying when online view is the only output. The Illustrator file has no transparency effect. I tried text layer on top and placed elements on a lower layer. It does not help. Knowing why this appends is interesting but how to solve

this issue is more my concern at present time.

Thanks!

• 4. Re: text appearance change
                Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

Trnasparency can be "real" in the sense of an area of the illustration that has no background, or an applied blending mode, or an effect such as a drop shadow.

About all you can do is make things consistent by making sure there is something transparent on every page. You can do this by adding something to your master pages.

• 5. Re: text appearance change

Thanks Peter,

It is probably obvious but I try to put together "The emboldening effect is well known when transparency is added to the page" and "making sure there is something transparent on every page"

Sorry to ask but I am missing something here...

Thanks

• 6. Re: text appearance change
                    Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

Since you can't prevent the effect if you need to use transparency in your layout, your options are to either live with bolder text on some pages, but not others, or to force it to look bold on all of the pages by makeing sure thay are all affected by transparency.

• 7. Re: text appearance change

OK! Thanks for your explanation.

I have noticed that exporting the PDF using "PDF/X-1a 2003" render all the pages with "embolded text" look, even those looking "normal" in InDesign.

Would you consider this as a solution?

• 8. Re: text appearance change
                        Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

PDF/X-1a does two things that might not be desirable for you. First, it converts everything to CMYK, and if your destination is screen, that's not a good thing -- you'll wind up losing some of the brighter, more saturated colors from your RGB images that fall outside the CMYK gamut for the conversion space (wahtever that might be). Second, it flattens the transparency, if any is there. IN and of itself that's not a problem, but it can introduce artifacts called "stitching" the usually show as thin white lines surrounding areas of transparency on screen and in low-res prints. Like the emboldening, this is generally not a problem for hi-res press output.

Stitching can be eliminated on screen by turning off smoothing in the Acrobat or Reader prefs, but you can't control that on a user's machine.

• 9. Re: text appearance change

One last question if I can.

I noticed that some Illustrator files do not affect the text at all while others cause "embolded text". I don't see why.

is there something to do/check to make sure that embolging will not occur?

many thanks

• 10. Re: text appearance change
                            Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

I see my wording above wasn't necessarily crystal clear. Aside from applied "real" transparency (using the transparency slider), or areas of the illustration that have no fill so other stuff will show through when placed in ID, applied blending modes and effects are also "transparency" in terms of how ID behaves. Makes no difference if the effects are applied in Illustrator or ID -- a glow or a drop shadow is transparency in either case.

• 11. Re: text appearance change

thank you so much Peter for your help and sharing your knowledge, I could finally have the document look perfect in PDF!