8 Replies Latest reply: May 11, 2012 6:14 PM by Noel Carboni RSS

CS5.1 replaced my CS5 with problems

vinsolo Community Member

I have written this a few minutes ago but th forum shows only a blank sheet

Following the advice of a knowledgeable individual, i attempte to consolidate my many actions into a single master folder and to use aliases in the appropriate folders oc CS5 and CS 6, to avoid clutter.

After i finished, WHATEVER it was that  I MAY HAVE DONE, i attempted to restart CS5. I was shown a message that some important files were missing and that I must reinstall CS5. I then uninstalled CS5.

I could find only a .dmg file for CS5.1. It was already present on my hard drive. I ran that installer and now I have Photoshop CS5 and a Photoshop CS5.1 folders, along with the appropriate bridge, manager, prefs, folders, etc.

Now both of these apps appear to run fine but there is a problem with prefs. Also, i don't know which of these to delete, and which associated folders. I suppose all that are labeled with CS5 or with CS5.1.

any advice other, than "be very ashamed"?

thanks,

vince

• 1. Re: CS5.1 replaced my CS5 with problems
          acresofgreen Community Member

vinsolo wrote:

Following the advice of a knowledgeable individual, i attempte to consolidate my many actions into a single master folder and to use aliases in the appropriate folders oc CS5 and CS 6, to avoid clutter.

People with the knowledge to help you will problably need more information about the "many actions" you are talking about and what changes you made.  Did you try to combine system files of both versions in one folder?

• 2. Re: CS5.1 replaced my CS5 with problems
            acresofgreen Community Member

I think I found your original post that contains more information.http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1002373?tstart=0

Today the forum software seems to be acting up.  I also got blank windows when trying to view some posts, but your original post seems to be there ok.

• 3. Re: CS5.1 replaced my CS5 with problems
              vinsolo Community Member

acresofgreen,

thanks for your response. i did not include in my post that i use iMac, i7,8G and lion

no. i did NOTHING involving either library or the system folder. Nothing at all.

The mystery is why i had that particular install on my disk. i paid not attention when i saw that it read "......CS5....." It apparently was some special 32bit set up. How or why i had downloaded will require sherlock holmes and a case of RED BULL.

I ran it with the results i described.

Late last night I remembered that i had actually purchased the CD of ver CS5, in anticipatiion of needing to reinstall it . i just forgot, for God"s sake!!!!

So, i have uninstalled "CS5.1" and wil shortly insert and run the original install disk for CS5.

I guess i will never know which underlying errors i made in manipulating the action files, but i can tell that the source of the advice is absolutely unquestionable. i must have misunderstood him.

again, thanks for your response. I think i will change my user name to MORON.

vince

Message was edited by: vinsolo

• 4. Re: CS5.1 replaced my CS5 with problems
                Noel Carboni Community Member

vinsolo wrote:

I'm not sure I fully understand what you're saying here about aliases...

Is it possible you mean plug-ins?  I ask because Actions are just data files you can load into Photoshop.  One .atn file could be loaded into any number of Photoshop versions from one place on your disk.  Photoshop does not refer directly to .atn files that have been loaded.  In fact, it stores the actions in a separate preferences file.

Is it possible you mean plug-ins?

-Noel

• 5. Re: CS5.1 replaced my CS5 with problems
                  vinsolo Community Member

Noel, thianks for responding.

no, i was referring to "action" files.

i had CS4, CS5, and CS6 installed on my imac wirh lion.

these were installed in sequence as they became available. I don't recall copying actions from older versions to newer ones, and just assumed that adobe did this during installation.

i became aware that in each of the folders, for these three versions, that there was a preset folder, each of which contained and actions folder.

The actions were much the same for each version. I asked a fellow member of this forum about this. AS I UNDERSTOOD THE REPLY, he said to create a single folder "anywhere" on the disk, place all the actions into that folder, ( without duplicates), and that once this was done that i could make aliases for all these actions and drag a set of "aliases" into the actions folder present in each versions folder (could anyone follow this sentence?).

I did this. i then attempted to run CS5 and saw "important folders missing. you must reinstall CS5" (to paraphrase).

The rest is error on my part. I own the orig disk for CS5 but somehow forgot that. I found, on my hard disk, a dmg that said CS5.1, didn't notice the ".1" . i installed and now had CS5.1 on my disk, as well as the other 3 versions. i have fixed all that.

Still, i have complete original action files in each of my actions folders for all the versions that i have installed.

It was even more complicated than this long story above.

if you have some advice about where to put actions..... i have proven i will chance most anything.

thanks for your curiosity,

vince

• 6. Re: CS5.1 replaced my CS5 with problems

Actually, you have it mostly right, but I think what you really want to do is to save your created actions, and 3rd party actions you've obtained from elsewhere, as .atn files in a safe central location separate from any of the Photoshop installation areas.  You can use subfolders as needed to organize things, and this should be a place you back up, much the same as your important documents, so that you're protected from loss.

Without doing anything special regarding setting up Aliases, in Photoshop just use the little fly-out menu icon at the upper-right of the Photoshop Actions panel and choose Load Actions and choose an .atn file.

Each .atn file you load will show up at the bottom of the Actions panel, and you can drag it to a different place in the panel if you like.

To save a set of actions, click once on an actions set name to highlight it, then using that same little fly-out icon choose Save Actions.  Save the set as an .atn file in that safe place on your disk you've created for actions storage.

-Noel

• 7. Re: CS5.1 replaced my CS5 with problems
                      vinsolo Community Member

thanks, noel. I feel certain that that is what was said to me at the outset and that it became garbled in my weakening brain.

i do look forward to your posts.

regards,

vince

PS: i have no explanation for why i needed to reinstall CS5. I thought it was going to work up to that point.

PS#2: Carboni sounds italian. Me, too.

• 8. Re: CS5.1 replaced my CS5 with problems

Just take it slow, and if something doesn't seem right or you see it do something unexpected, just come back on the forum here; someone will help you get through it.

I'm sorry to say I don't have a good idea why what you did should have corrupted Photoshop.  But in general you probably shouldn't mess with the files in the various Photoshop installation folders.

-Noel