1 person found this helpful
This stuff doesn't change. wwupdate.adobe.com and the others have been there as long as I can think. If at all, this would be handled with server side forwarding and redirects. You could check your networking stuff with Wireshark and similar tools or you could run Sysinternals' Process Monitor. This might offer some clues. Also check your router's log files. Something may show up there. Perhaps something changed at your provider...
I have already been checking manually for updates since I noticed the problem. That is why I am anxious to get the automatic update process fixed. I am waiting on fixes for bugs and would like to stop checking manually.
Checking the router log was a good idea. It came up clean... except for discovering that I had forgotten about updating my router firmware a week ago. So, I may try bypassing the router to eliminate it as a cause later today.
I checked out SysInternals Process Monitor. I was pretty overwhelmed with the amount of detail it provided and all of the flexible controls it offers. I didn't really know what I was looking for. So, I poked around with it blindly for about fifteen minutes. I immediately found the App Manager's update process and tracked its activity. I found the location of a log it was keeping. And, one thing in the log stood out. But, other than that, I didn't see how the monitor might help. But, again, I didn't really know what I was looking for. Any advice?
The thing from the updater log that stood out was the way the relevant error message was worded: "network connection was unavailable". Knowing the programming behind processes like these (and having done a lot myself), I understand that it could simply be a message from a higher-level process, leaving out lower-level results which may indicate it is actually a connection to a particular server that was never established. However, as it reads, the updater cannot make any connections whatsoever. Either way, I still do not know how to check into it.
The packet analyzer (Wireshark) seems more like the right tool for the job. But, the learning curve for that sort of thing seems like too much of a time investment. And, having no experience with packet analyzers yet, if I don't drown first, I will probably get incredibly distracted finding out everything it can do.
Your suggestions are solid, though far from the silver bullet I was hoping for.
Thanks, Tooky. You nailed it.
For anyone reading this, the simplest work-around to this problem on Windows is as follows:
- Open the Device Manager. To do this, type "device manager" into the Start Menu search bar.
- Open "Network Adapters".
- Disable any device driver listed with the name "Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter...". To do this, right-click the name and select "Disable".
- Try the Adobe Application Manager update. It should work for now.
I don't know if Microsoft's original plan to shove use of this driver down the throats of companies wanting Windows 7 certification ever came to fruition. So, although my internet and network connections remained after I disabled the driver, I recommend re-enabling the driver once your update is complete.
TookyDC's link was broken, but easy enough to figure out how to fix. If you want to read Adobe's out-of-date solution that still works to fix this problem, the fixed link is http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/error-update-server-repsonding-cs4.html.
WARNING: After successfully completing the latest Adobe update, Microsoft Security Essentials is now failing to validate Windows 7 on my computer. Re-enabling the above mentioned driver did not help. This could be an isolated incident. But, you should be aware the much more seious problem I now have. What a joy!
The link is messed up only in my original post. Click on the link from your reply. Or if all else fails, copy and paste it into your browser.
I tried the WiFi disabling solution others had mentioned and it still didn't work. What worked for me is that I had to turn off both my Windows and Norton firewalls, then the updater worked perfectly for my CS6 items and I could download the new CC items. Just remember to turn firewalls back on! Might also be wise to run a complete system scan afterwards as well.
I have tried all of the above post with no luck. All I had to do was update the Adobe Application Manager. Then all the programs started updating with no problems.