19 Replies Latest reply: May 16, 2012 2:46 PM by AllDayDev RSS

Bridge will not open

edpouso Community Member

I cannot get bridge to open on my main user account.

It will run on a secondary user account.

I have tried right click  run as admin

I still have Ps and Bridge From Cs 2 on my Comp did not want to remove them untill i was up to speed on CS6

Os win 7

• 1. Re: Bridge will not open
          m!ndl0rd Adobe Employee

Have you tried to launch Bridge from the Photoshop?

• 2. Re: Bridge will not open
            edpouso Community Member

yes. does not work

• 3. Re: Bridge will not open
              Scott Worthington Adobe Employee

Does it give an error message?

In a scenario where it works under one account but not the other on the same computer it may be tied to things like preference corruption, folder permissions or other account configurations such as re-mapped folder locations for example. It would be worth knowing exactly how your account was setup and if all else fails, following steps to perform an account migration in a worst-case scenario.

Yet before going through all that, it might be worth checking out the steps here:

http://helpx.adobe.com/bridge/kb/troubleshoot-errors-freezes-bridge-windows.html

• 4. Re: Bridge will not open
                edpouso Community Member

I have 2 user accounts.

the first 1 the primary account is was created when i first started the comp, it has admin rights. the 2nd account i setup for a family member. to use.

they used it 1 time for a few min back in feb.  they changed nothing and i know this because  i ended up doing the work and they just typed in the info needed at the time.

Bridge CS2 works fine.

other cs6 programs seem to work although i have not had time to work in depth with them.

• 5. Re: Bridge will not open
                  edpouso Community Member

Tried the fixes from  you help page  http://helpx.adobe.com/bridge/kb/troubleshoot-errors-freezes-bridge-wi ndows.html

did not work

should i try re installing Ps?

• 6. Re: Bridge will not open

I would not say no, as I have seen things like that help.

However you know the installation itself is fine as it works under the other account. The issue is with the account, its settings, itself, most likely.

If the automatic approach to clearing preferences hasn't worked, the manual approach may be worth looking at.

Delete the entire contents of the Cache folder located at

C:\Users\[USER]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Bridge CS6

Delete the "!!Last.workspace" file located at

C:\Users\[USER]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Bridge CS6\Workspaces

Delete the following registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Bridge CS6\Preference

We recommend backing up the registry before making any kinds of changes to it.

These steps are user account specific, related to bridge and may help but when deleting files, always exercise caution.

• 7. Re: Bridge will not open
                      edpouso Community Member

i will try that next. while i was looking  at the support page live chat poped up not so great service.

You are now chatting with 'Parthibaraj'

Parthibaraj: Hello. Welcome to Adobe Technical Support.

Parthibaraj: I have received your query. Please allow me a moment to verify your account and to review the details of your request.

Parthibaraj: As I understand that you are not able to open CS 6 Bridge, am I correct?

ed pouso: yes

Parthibaraj: Thank you for confirming the issue.

Parthibaraj: I will be happy to assist you with this information.

Parthibaraj: May I know the complete name and version of the software that you are using?

ed pouso: i am not sure what to do now.  Scott Worthington gave me aa link for a help page but that  did not work

ed pouso: Creative Suite 6 Photoshop bridge

ed pouso: windows 7

Parthibaraj: Thank you for the information.

Parthibaraj: We have a special team for this issue.

ed pouso: ok

Parthibaraj: You can contact us back via live chat using the link http://www.adobe.com/support/imaging/supportinfo/

Parthibaraj: Is there anything else I can help you with?

ed pouso: so i will not get any help till monday?

Parthibaraj: Yes.

ed pouso: thats poor service for a program you launched on friday

• 8. Re: Bridge will not open
                        edpouso Community Member

went to C:\Users\EMP\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Bridge CS6

folder was empty

went to same place in othe account it had lots of files

• 9. Re: Bridge will not open

Did the registry key exist?

• 10. Re: Bridge will not open
                            edpouso Community Member

yes deleted it

did not help

• 11. Re: Bridge will not open

At this point going further would mean trying to apply permissions to locations in the AppData location, possibly the registry as well.

Essentially, low level functions of the Account itself that would actually have me come to these options and basically choose one:

• A total removal of adobe applications, including CS2 and manually verifying files were deleted before reinstalling,  With potential assistance from the Cleaner tool. http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html
                              • Continue to use the other account.
                              • Migrate information from the existing account to a new account, remove the previous account with assistance from Microsoft.
                              • Continue to use the other account till you are familiar with CS6, then remove, verify all files were removed and then reinstall.
                              • 12. Re: Bridge will not open
                                m!ndl0rd Adobe Employee

Did you installed the Beta version of Photoshop?

• 13. Re: Bridge will not open
                                  AllDayDev Adobe Employee

Thanks for your patience with this, Ed.

Is the second account a "standard" user, or is it also an administrator?

Assuming it's not an administrator, I'd appreciate it if you could do one comparison test so we can narrow down on the cause of the issue (and therefore find a way to resolve this):

Create a new standard account on the system (just call it "test" or something along those lines), log into the new account, and then try to open Bridge.

Does Bridge open in the newly-created standard user account?

• 14. Re: Bridge will not open
                                    digiscuro Community Member

I have this same problem. Have 2 accounts on my computer. One is my admin account, the other is a regular user account I use to run all my programs. Bridge crashes on launch when I try to run it with my user account. Runs when I run it as my administrator account.

However, when I change my user account type to Administrator, it still doesn't work.

I created a test account with only user privileges, and it launched normally from that account.

• 15. Re: Bridge will not open
                                      edpouso Community Member

i think  i found the mult problems.

I uninstalled PS6 beta on monday according to Adobe's faq

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4361731#4361731

pretty strait forward but it left files behind.

for  some reason i did not check to see if it removed all the files i just assumed it would(made an *** out of myself).

so i just uninstalled the new PS from  creative cloud and cleaned up. but bridge did not uninstall and it works.

now re downloadind and installing PS from creative cloud. hope for the best

• 16. Re: Bridge will not open
                                        edpouso Community Member

reinstalled Ps

Bridge works fine.

Now for my complaint.

I love Adobe products but i feel that things have been missed.

I know a little about writing programs. I remember trying to find the mistakes in my turbo pascal class. So finding problems in these new programs is a huge task.

Maybe you need to work on 1 major program release every year instead of a new set every 18-24 months.

I know that it is not how big buis works but look what happened in finance and autos.

• 17. Re: Bridge will not open
                                          Curt Y Community Member

edpouso wrote:

so i just uninstalled the new PS from  creative cloud and cleaned up. but bridge did not uninstall and it works.

I find it very odd that Bridge did not uninstall with everything else.  It is not a seperate program as it is part of photoshop.  So in the past it has never been possible to unintall one without uninstalling the other. 

Do you have any thoughts on what bits were left when you uninstalled CS6 Beta?  Might help the next guy.

• 18. Re: Bridge will not open
                                            edpouso Community Member

I found it odd also. i downloaded other apps including Premiere Pro and  i know bridge works with it. Maybe thats why it stayed.

it seemed that PS6 and LR$4 betas left behind appdata in both user accounts and registry info when uninstalled.This maybe what the adobe cleaner fixes.

I used "Little Registry Cleaner" to fix the registry.

Everything seems to work fine. Next big thing is to see what plugins i will not use and disable them for better performance.

I will be upgrading to an ssd soon and will do a clean install then.

• 19. Re: Bridge will not open
                                              AllDayDev Adobe Employee

Glad you got it working, Ed.

Also, I appreciate your feedback about software development. Our teams do focus on quality, but with so much functionality and flexibility in our software it is not always possible to test everything.

I highly recommend that you share this feedback directly with our development team(s): http://adobe.ly/WishForm