9 Replies Latest reply: May 12, 2012 9:05 PM by johnnyfriday RSS

How to turn over RedRocket Control to AME from Premier?

johnnyfriday Community Member

so i am in premier and have Rocket Card (from RED--their R3d acceleration graphics card) Enabled...Now i am exporting a sequence out to Adobe Media Encoder and also wish for the Red Rocket card to be utilized there for debayering etc..of some R3d's in the sequence. I know that the RR card can only be utilized by one program at a time and you must relinquish control of it usually by quitting an application. So now, do i just quite PrPro before starting the Encode in AME? then start the encode and the RR card will be working? or is there a way to tell AME to utilize the RR card?

How do i know it is being used by AME?

• 1. Re: How to turn over RedRocket Control to AME from Premier?
          Mylenium ACP/MVPs

Don't think so at all. Such cards use special drivers that are initialized via respective plug-ins from the programs using them and while AME does use Prmeiere file format plug-ins, I doubt it supports the full infrastructure, especially for such special hardware. If at all, this probably requires some specific export from Premiere into a MOV or AVI wrapper, so the CoDEc handles the hardware acceleration, but realyl, you get much better info on that in the Premiere, AME or RED's own forums. That is too exotic and I just don't have those ten thousdands of dollars to geek out and investigate just for fun....

Mylenium

• 2. Re: How to turn over RedRocket Control to AME from Premier?
            J. Simon Community Member

You could try skipping AME and just hitting Export instead of Queue.

• 3. Re: How to turn over RedRocket Control to AME from Premier?

Exporting direct from PrPro has a BUG as well (in CS 6.0)....at least the 6 times i tried it. I'll make a new thread about that now....but quickly: export sequence; set my destination folder and other items....then click on export...the preview window for the sequence is there and also the % render box shows up....(i'm exporting a tiff sequence) However, the render bar does not move AND the preview window does not show the sequence moving through the frames...giving me a visual referance of what has been rendered...it basically looks FROZEN...But, if i go to the destination folder it is making Tiffs and dropping them in the folder....however you get nothing for indicatinng the following:

* Time remaining

*% bar moving up as you render

*No video preview frame by frame.

*I saw another thread in AME fourm where this was an apple/adobe issue that they are working on for AME---but also seems to be a PrPro issue....

Also, RR card is supposed to be able to be used for debayering of R3d's within CS 6....however it's a bit of a trick to get each program to grab control--and for some reason, seems to be a mystery of how you do this within PrPro, AE or AME.... Need some white paper on this and and EASY GUI.

• 4. Re: How to turn over RedRocket Control to AME from Premier?

There is no preview for a direct Export, only through AME.

However, I just tried both using TIFFs and both worked just fine.

• 5. Re: How to turn over RedRocket Control to AME from Premier?

Ok...was not aware of that Jim....i see the preview window there, but for some reason i get nothing from the render bar....

See attached screen grab....that also shows Tiff's being added to my destination folder. PrPro-Encode-direct.png

• 6. Re: How to turn over RedRocket Control to AME from Premier?

You only show the Export Settings in the screen grab.  You have two ways to actually start the export - via Queue (which sends to AME), or via Export.  Try the latter.

• 7. Re: How to turn over RedRocket Control to AME from Premier?

Jim,

this was actually sent from PrPro and i then chose Export....and the finder window shows you that i was actually capturing Tiffs...600+, but no render bar movement or % indicator moving.

....I'm not clear what you are telling me....maybe i'm misunderstaning what you stated. I am currently (Now) in AME--sent to queue....and on a 23 hour render which is about to complete in 3hours.

• 8. Re: How to turn over RedRocket Control to AME from Premier?

Strange.  It worked fine for me on Windows 7.

• 9. Re: How to turn over RedRocket Control to AME from Premier?

now with OS 10.7.4 and updated drivers from NVIDIA---i get total crap render times.....here's the thing....i tried several ways...once again....

First, sent to PrPro again...took about 5mins to load the project (52min mixed codecs--R3s, AVCHD and .mov all with effects applies) Then started the render last night. 5.5 hours later only 7450 Tiffs were encoded...that's terrible....So stopped it and sent to Queue in AME...gave me 60 hour render time....re-booted computer and tried twice more....on 3rd try it gave me my standard (i've done this same timeline now 3times) 20-35hour render time finally settling down to around 24...in 2.5 hours i had 7500 Tiffs collected....So....crap render out of PrPro direct with RR card, Quadro 4000 together...why? Sending to AME cuts it in half....Still i think these render times should be far better. Not to mention i BARELY get 1/4 rez playback in the timeline....and RR card IS enabled....This is a BIG letdown for me with all the CS 5 & CS 6 hype....when real world tests just don't seem to match what i hear....I'm quite certain that Adobe has got some work to do to get things cleaned up and working right. For now, i have to move back to FCP for a stable system when cutting--i'll continue to work this one out and play around, but i have to leave this behind as my tool of choice...too bad.