• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I delete develop preset folders?

Engaged ,
May 11, 2012 May 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering if it's possible to delete the develop preset folders that come pre-installed with LR 4.  I don't see them in the Develop Presets folder in Application Support/Adobe, and right-clicking on the folders themselves in LR doesn't provide the option to delete.

The folders I'm talking about are:

Lightroom B&W Filter Presets

Lightroom B&W Presets

Lightroom B&W Toned Presets

etc...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think you can....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to >Edit >Preferences >Presets tab and click on <Show Lightroom Presets folder>. Make sure that <Store presets with catalog> is unchecked. Open this  Lr presets folder - it is called <Lightroom>, then open <Develop Presets> and then <Lr Presets>. There you will see all the default Lr presets. Just highlight the ones you want to delete and press <Delete> - this will send these presets to the recycle bin. Alternatively move them to a different folder of your choice where Lr does not find them, in case you want them later on again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd be interested if you can make that work. All the testing I've done in the past suggests that it doesn't matter if you delete the whole Develop Presets folder.....Lightroom will simply recreate it again when next starting up. Interestingly all that it then puts in that folder is an empty User Presets sub-folder, there is no Lightroom Presets sub-folder.....yet you'll still see all the standard Lightroom presets available in Develop. Conclusion would seem to be that the Lightroom presets are actually stored and referenced from a different location, though I've yet to find out where.

As I said, I'd like to know if it works differently for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I did a short test and it seems that the presets are still available even if you send them to the recycle bin. Hmmm....

And strangely, it is different with user-generated presets. They are not available if they are not in the right folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, User Presets are definitely stored in that sub-folder (or adjacent to the catalog if "Store Presets" is checked), but not the Lightroom ones. Just a bit of a puzzle as to why they are actually stored there if they're not referenced from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, that doesn't work.  The default LR presets that come pre-installed with LR 4 are not in the Lightroom/Develop Presets folder.  At least not in LR 4 on a Mac.  They are in the application itself.  If you click on the LR 4 application, and then right-click "Show Package Contents", then Contents/Plugins then right-click "Show Package Contents" on Develop.lrmodule then Contents/Templates you will see them in there.  This article suggests that you can simply move the Templates folder to the Desktop or Trash and that will eliminate the presets.  However, when I did that and opened LR 4, all of the modules and sidebars were blank.  It screwed up the application somehow.  I was able to add the Templates folder back into the Develop.lrmodule and get LR working again, but unfortunately it appears that there's no way to remove the default presets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think somebody managed to get rid of them with a resource editor. On

windows...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can only remove it via Resoure Editor. Here is the tutorial on how-to: http://www.pixiq.com/article/getting-rid-of-default-lightroom-develop-presets

But you have to do this every time you update LR. I would just leave them alone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2012 May 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Mac there is a folder Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4.app/Contents/PlugIns/Develop.lrmodule/Contents/Resources/templates where presets stored

By removing it from folder

templates/bw/

templates/bw_filter/

templates/bw_toned/

templates/color/

templates/effects/

templates/general/

templates/video/

Doesn't affect removing folders in Lightroom. There is emty folders still inside presets panel in develop module

Next investigation give me a file that contain lua code for that presets

DevelopTemplateBrowser.lua

In that file we have code that bind unremovable presets folders in develop module

The only thing we can do now is to decompile lua file, remove that code and compile it again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you've discovered, the presets are embedded with the Lr aplication package (Mac) and the Develop.lrmodule (Windows). This means that they'l reappear again when you install the next Lr update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So there is no changes on Mac remove or not templates from develop module, folders is still present even if it's empty

http://cs11183.userapi.com/v11183455/d20/BcE6UR7cmPc.jpg

And this code in compiled lua link embeded templates, if someone more skilled can zero it or remove at all that would be great

AgDevelop_developPresets  WIN_ENV  _BUNDLE

fileNamed  templates\color\  templates\bw\  templates\bw_filter\  templates\general\  templates\effects\  templates\bw_toned\  templates\video\  import  AgPathUtils

templates  stringByAppendingPathComponent  color  bw

bw_filter  general  effects           bw_toned  video  makeFileDataModel

templateType  Develop  templateDirectoryName  Develop Presets  extraReadOnlyDirectories  parentDirectoryName  ZSTR Z$$$/DevelopTemplateBrowser/DefaultTemplateFolder/LightroomBWPresets=Lightroom B&W Presets  path g$$$/DevelopTemplateBrowser/DefaultTemplateFolder/LightroomBWFilterPresets=Lightroom B&W Filter Presets _$$$/DevelopTemplateBrowser/DefaultTemplateFolder/LightroomColorPresets=Lightroom Color Presets a$$$/DevelopTemplateBrowser/DefaultTemplateFolder/LightroomEffectPresets=Lightroom Effect Presets c$$$/DevelopTemplateBrowser/DefaultTemplateFolder/LightroomGeneralPresets=Lightroom General Presets e$$$/DevelopTemplateBrowser/DefaultTemplateFolder/LightroomBWTonedPresets=Lightroom B&W Toned Presets _$$$/DevelopTemplateBrowser/DefaultTemplateFolder/LightroomVideoPresets=Lightroom Video Presets

Ian Lyons wrote:

As you've discovered, the presets are embedded with the Lr aplication package (Mac) and the Develop.lrmodule (Windows). This means that they'l reappear again when you install the next Lr update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Josh-Burstein wrote:

So there is no changes on Mac remove or not templates from develop module, folders is still present even if it's empty

The prsets are store within folders according to type (e.g. B&W, Effects, etc). Removing the folder and there contents still leaves the preset type listed in the Presets panel. Deleting the Templates folder (contains the preset sub folders) results in Lr displaying an error dialog and makes the app unuseable.

I recommend that you do not attempt to alter the Lua code. Even if it's possible, you would be contravening the EULA that you agreed to when installing the application. Furthermore, anyone posting how they did it to this forum may well find themseleves in smelly stuff with Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah yeah EULA EULA but why just Adobe didnt let us to remove this folders simply from Lightroom as was in previous versions of LR??? Strange things... Why if I spent alot of money for my working tool I can't remove thing in it that I dont use and it spent alot of my screen space?

Ian Lyons wrote:

Josh-Burstein wrote:

The prsets are store within folders according to type (e.g. B&W, Effects, etc). Removing the folder and there contents still leaves the preset type listed in the Presets panel. Deleting the Templates folder (contains the preset sub folders) results in Lr displaying an error dialog and makes the app unuseable.

I recommend that you do not attempt to alter the Lua code. Even if it's possible, you would be contravening the EULA that you agreed to when installing the application. Furthermore, anyone posting how they did it to this forum may well find themseleves in smelly stuff with Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some things aren't designed to be customised. Get over it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2018 Feb 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a valid solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 24, 2018 Feb 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe product developers don't participate in this forum.  If you want to influence Adobe, add your constructive opinion to this topic in the official Adobe feedback forum: Lightroom: Ability to delete the default develop presets | Photoshop Family Customer Community . Be sure to click Vote in the upper-right corner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2013 Oct 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open LR>Click Edit>Preferences>ClickPreset Tab>Click button labeled "Show lightroom Presets Folder">Scroll down and open "Lightroom" folder>Scroll down and open "Develop Presets' folder>Delete all presets you don't want.. Simply close and restart LR (I did this with LR5 as well) to see results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 27, 2015 Jul 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please fix this.

We need the screen estate in order to work more effectively.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines