Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

system requirements for CS6

May 06, 2012 May 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a look at the new system requirements page:

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/tech-specs.html

In the past, a legitimate criticism of the system requirements on the box (and on that page) was that they were just the bare minimum for running the software. I encouraged the folks writing the system requirements to add some parts to go beyond that minimum and at least suggest what an "optimum" system would be. Of course, one can only fit so much text on the box, and we don't want to scare people into thinking that they need a juggernaut of a machine to just do simple things... but I think that we made some progress here.

Thoughts?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To clarify the statement "Broadband Internet connection and registration are required for software activation, validation of subscriptions, and access to online services." - although customers require some Internet connectivity, the speed of that connection is not important for activation (you can use WiFi, 3G, dial-up, whatever).

Some online services (e.g. Creative Cloud) involve the upload and download of large data files - including the software itself - so for those aspects a fast connection is important. Activation of a product only transfers a tiny amount of data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding the Internet connection for activation part: I argued strongly against that wording.

Here's what it should say:

Activation is required to use this software.

If you have purchased a perpetual license for CS6 software, you can activate the software on a given computer by connecting that computer to the Internet, or you can enter an activation code if the computer is not connected to the Internet. You may retrieve the activation code using any Internet-connected device, including a smartphone.

If you have purchased a Creative Cloud Membership subscription for this software, you must connect the computer to the Internet to activate the software on that computer. The computer must be connected to the Internet at least once per 30 days to confirm the status of the subscription license.

Here's a page that links to some documents with more details about the licensing and activation systems:

http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2012/05/a-few-creative-cloud-and-cs6-resources.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>QuickTime 7.6.6 software required for QuickTime features

One more note... you may want to put QT766 on an Adobe server, and provide a link on the requirements page

It is VERY hard to find that exact version... Apple only lists 7.6 on their "old stuff" page, with no indication (that I can find) as to the exact number you are downloading, out of the several different 7.6.? versions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As with other items, the QuickTime version has an implied "or later" or "at least" associated with it. (I tried to make it explicit, but it got edited out.)

Of course, as we know, some later QuickTime versions break things, so you can't really say "any version of  QuickTime from 7.6.6 onward".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>versions break things

Yep... also happens with graphics drivers... makes things a REAL mess to try and figure out a problem, when the usual advice is to update to the latest driver

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 07, 2012 May 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

You are quite right about the (lack of) availability of 7.6.6.  The date of the Apple old version 7.6 suggests that it is older than 7.6.6.

After an hour's effort I located 7.6.6 here:

http://www.oldapps.com/quicktime_player.php?old_quicktime=27

I am still using 7.6.2, which is positively ancient, but problem free for me.  Does anyone know which, if any, versions after 7.6.6 are OK to use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>7200 RPM hard drive (multiple fast disk drives, preferably RAID 0 configured, recommended)

Might read...

2nd 7200 RPM hard drive for data (multiple fast disk drives, preferably RAID 0 configured, recommended)

But... the "multiple" part will go a LONG way toward letting people know that a single drive is not going to work very well

>QuickTime 7.6.6 software required for QuickTime features

VERY good to specify the QT version!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 13, 2012 May 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>John...Why Multiple HDs? I've seen this mentioned, but I don't understand how you would use them. Do you keep all running programs on one frive and data on a secondary drive? Does this mean you are partitioning one hard drive into 2 or you have 2 actual hard drives? Sorry...this may be basic question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>samanthahhi,

NEVER, EVER partition a hard drive for video editing!

My 3 hard drives to edit AVCHD are configured as...

1 - 320Gig Boot for Win7 64bit Pro and ALL program installs (2)

2 - 320Gig data for Win7 paging swap file and video project files

When I create a project on #2 drive, the various work files follow,

so my boot drive is not used for the media cache folders and files

3 - 1Terabyte data for all video files... input & output files (1)

(1) for faster input/output with 4 drives

- use drive 3 for all source files

- use drive 4 for all output files

(2) only 60Gig used, for Win7 & CS5 MC & MS Office & other smaller programs

Search Microsoft to find out how to redirect your Windows paging swap file

http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US

I do not use RAID... AVCHD is CPU intensive, not drive intensive like uncompressed, so I have no problems editing without RAID (but, this is for "simple" home videos)

http://www.video2brain.com/en/videos-5353.htm

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/784220?tstart=0

Trying to use only ONE Hard Drive for Video Editing

You are a music conductor, with a baton that you use to point to various parts of the orchestra... this is like Windows pointing to various parts of the hard drive to do Windows housekeeping or to load program segments for various functions

Now, at the same time and with the same hand... while still using the baton to conduct the orchestra... pick up a bow and play a fiddle... this would be doing something with your video file at the same time as all the other work

You as a person cannot do both at the same time with the same hand

A computer is a LITTLE better, in that it can switch from one kind of task to another very quickly... but not quickly enough for EASY video editing

You need AT LEAST two hard drives (separate drives, never a partition http://forums.adobe.com/thread/650708 for more) with Windows (or Mac OS) and software on your boot drive, and video files on a 2nd drive so the boot drive is not slowed down by trying to do everything

Partition = Crash http://forums.adobe.com/thread/957286

I find that the three drives I use work very well for me, for editing AVCHD video... some people use a 4th drive, so video INPUT files are on drive three and all OUTPUT files are on drive four... I only bought a mid-tower case instead of a full tower case (my bad... but had to fit in the space available on my office desk!) so I use the three drives that will fit

Depending on your exact hardware (motherboard brand & model AND USB2 enclosure brand & model AND external hard drive brand & model) AND the type of video file, you may... or may NOT... be able to use an external USB2 hard drive for SD (Standard Definition) video editing

Steve Grisetti in the Premiere Elements forum http://forums.adobe.com/thread/856208 and Jim Simon in the Premiere Pro forum http://forums.adobe.com/thread/856433 use USB externals for editing

A USB3 hard drive connected to a motherboard with USB3 is supposed to be fast enough for video editing (I don't have such, so don't know) but eSata DOES have a fast enough data transfer for video editing... I have not used the eSata Dock below... for reference only, YMMV and all the usual disclaimers

http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-BlacX-eSATA-Docking-Station/dp/B001A4HAFS/ref=cm_cmu_pg_t

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you ever considered what happens when you have a single lane for traffic from both directions? There are traffic lights, allowing only one side to pass and the other side must wait for the light to turn to green, a clear method to create traffic jams and delays. The same happens with SATA disks, since they are half-duplex, in fact similar to single lane roads. There is no reading and writing at the same time. Only one way traffic and that causes traffic jams and delays.

If you have multiple lanes available (multiple disks) traffic would flow much easier with less traffic jams and less delays. It is as simple as that.

Also see: Adobe Forums: Generic Guideline for Disk Setup

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great info, guys. No one has eve explained this to me. I have been doing basic video editing in Premiere elements, but I am having to step up my game as we have bridal clients who absolutely love the fusion videos I am creating.

I am looking at getting a new computer - cost IS a factor.  Specs are listed below. Would this meet or come close to the ideal? and can I use an external drive as my additional drive or is it better to use an internal drive?

Thank you so much for your imput and I absolutely agree with the movement towards listing minimal reqs AND ideal reqs!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Do not handicap yourself with an AMD processor it does not have some instructions that the Intel CPU's do have and that slows down your system significantly
  2. Do not use an AMD GPU as it currently does not have MPE code that nVidia GPU's do have to also accelerate your editing experience

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm...someone was telling me that now there isn't much difference between amd and intel now, but you are saying that is not true. Ok.

Not sure what the "AMD GPU" stands for. Guessing it means it is better to have an ATI graphics card rather than an AMD...is that correct? And I would also venture a guess that it is critical to have a discrete graphics card, right?

Again, I don't need to have a smoking system. I currently have a Dell Inspiron 545, Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q8200 @2.33GHz, 64-bit with 8 gigs Ram and an ATI Radeon HD 3400 graphics card (dual monitors) - and I love my setup. But I am thinking of giving it to my son for online gaming and moving up to an i5 processor. I took a look at the AMD as it was less expensive.

**Wanted to also say that this is all real key info you guys are filling me in on that no one ever really gets into discussing when you are at a computer store or buying software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AMD = ATI

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct...sorry...mind is getting boggled. So I currently have an Intel processor with an AMD graphics card which Bill is saying is not as geared towards graphics as is a Nividia card...correct? So "No" to anything AMD is I am primarily looking for a sleek and effiecient graphics and video editing experience, yes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The AMD CPUs fall way behind Intel's when it comes power and speed. They are not in the same league. As for the AMD/ATI video cards, they are not supported by Adobe - except for a couple of cards used in Macs... and Macs only. So you cannot take advantage of GPU acceleration with those cards. You need an NVidia.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 15, 2012 May 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill Gehrke wrote:

1. Do not handicap yourself with an AMD processor it does not have some instructions that the Intel CPU's do have ...

Hi!

In the case of the AMD processor mentioned above by Samantha, yes, you're right: it does not have those instructions.
But don't forget about those AMD processors which do have .

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take a look at http://ppbm5.com/DB-PPBM5-2.php. The best AMD machine ranks 377 out of 868. AMD computers simply do not compare to an Intel rig.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nicol Simard wrote:

Take a look at http://ppbm5.com/DB-PPBM5-2.php. The best AMD machine ranks 377 out of 868. AMD computers simply do not compare to an Intel rig.

In this rank you have old generation AMD CPUs only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

czarek jb wrote:

Nicol Simard wrote:

In this rank you have old generation AMD CPUs only.

Actually, there are now a few FX series (Bulldozer/Zambezi) AMD CPUs on the chart. In that rank the fastest of the three PCs that are powered by such a CPU ranks only 437 out of 868.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Continuing the learning process....

I've upgraded my computer with a new graphics card (GeForce GT430 - couldn't even find the ones recommended and out of price range), Windows 7 and a 500 gig secondary hard drive. I have carefully read all instructions, but am confused as I thought I read somewhere that if I have only 2 hard drives (all that will fit in my case), that the pagefile should be on the non-OS hard drive. But then I looked at Harm's chart:

Guideline+Disks.jpg

...and it looks like the Pagefile is to remain on OS. Is this correct? If so, should I adjust my pagefile settings size on my C drive or let Windows maintain it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will not make a huge difference, but the thinking behind it is that you want to distribute your disk accesses as much as possible and during editing you will be accessing your project and media files regularly, so it makes sense that (especially with limited amounts of memory installed where your pagefile use will be relatively high) you leave the pagefile on the boot disk. However, the best advise in that table is in the last column. Windows managed has the distinct drawback of being dynamic. I always suggest a static, fixed pagefile size (where minimum=maximum) and have it at the fastest part of the disk, which is difficult on the same OS disk, but in that case it should be the first thing you do after installing the OS and before installing applications. See the tuning guide for that.

Maybe it is time to consider a different case that gives you some more space, like I show here: http://ppbm6.com/Planning.html

Navigate to the panel "Case" and then hover the mouse over the heading 'Start with the Magnum TH10'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RjL190365 wrote:

Actually, there are now a few FX series (Bulldozer/Zambezi) AMD CPUs on the chart. In that rank the fastest of the three PCs that are powered by such a CPU ranks only 437 out of 868.

Thanks for correction. When I looked few days ago there were none. But what we see here is not a rank of CPUs but a rank of whole PCs.

That's why more important here are CPU-based tasks. So, the question is - what to look for here?

When I looked at (for example) x264 coding benchmarks (on the net) the FX 8150 is on the same level as 2600K but costs 58% less (in my country).

So it's competitive in it's price range. The situation also will change this summer with the Vishera (BD 2.0) premiere.

EDIT: 42% less not 58%.

Message was edited by: czarek jb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines