• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I start Photoshop CS6 without Run As Administrator

Explorer ,
May 14, 2012 May 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was encouraged to post this here (updated from post to the Photoshop forum)

I've seen several similar threads with problems with Bridge ()for beta CS6), nothing recent with run issues with Photoshop CS6

I have installed most of the programs downloaded from the Cloud. Most run. So far, from my user account I've found Bridge, Encore and Indesign encounter a "Problem" upon opening and close with no further message or details. Dreamwever, Flash, Illustrator and Premiere run as far as I've tested. Everything seems to start fine from an admin account.

From my user account Photoshoip CS6 brings up a message about a locked scratch file and cannot run. I can start PS CS6 using Run As Admin and everythig seems to run fine. I've tried changing some permissions on discs and on my user account still has PS  CS6 fail to start. (I need to check this again) I've read similar posts on earlier releases. I have tried purging the preferences, both manually and using the crtl+shift+alt start. I still cannot get PS CS6 to run from my user account.

CS5 prograams from Design Premium start/run fine AFAIK

I did not instal the CS6 beta

FWIW

Gigabyte MB, w/ i72600k

Windows7 64bit

SSD for C:

standard disk for user accounts (moved /user to this disc)

standard disks for scratch and file starage (each its own disk)

I tried the uninstall/reinstall game without any change.

I'm out of ideas.

Kevin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Sep 17, 2012 Sep 17, 2012

I'm sorry I didn't update this before now.

I solved the problems mentione above.

I gave in.

I bought a bigger ssd, moved my /user back to the C: drive and created a new user account (as the old one was munged with attepts to fix the problem earlier). Big pain, took a few hours an more later as i found things I'd set up that had to be changed.

end result...everything works now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its is the permission issue which doesn't allow you work on one account, but allows to run as administrator

Can't say which file or folder has this issue ,

But you can try this ,

Uninstall from the user account

and then install the software in this account and then check,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2012 Sep 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see Kevins response  (thank you for responding so quickly) and understand that this is a possible but quite expensive solution.  I am replying now to manish sharma who is listed as staff in the hopes that Adobe wouldnt really leave people dangling like this and having to implement solutions like buying a new and larger hard drive.

Also you suggested uninstalling the software.  Since this is a trial, what would happen to my trial - would i have to download everything again (which took a long time)? Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ Kevin ,

Thanks for the update , You had the /user on the different drive , which was not stated in the OP and honestly would have been very hard for me to narrow down to this level online over the forums.

I am glad you sort it out and provided the updated.

@nahcr ,

The reply in my intial post was for the Kevin , yes the setups are quite generic but may not be applicable at your end also the problem seems to be different.

That to specific with the PS 64 bit , as rest of the softwares work fine

I would recommend , please post your query on the Photoshop forums as a fresh and MVP and Adobe Staff (PS experts) will sort it out for you.

http://forums.adobe.com/community/photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2013 Apr 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually the problem is not unique to Photoshop CS6-64:
In PS6, I can launch it (after I launched as Admin and set cache preference to another drive), but if I try to save a project as PDF, I get this message:
"(X) Could not open a scratch file because the file is locked, you do not have necessary access permissions, or another program is using the file. Use the 'Properties' command in Windows Explorer to unlock the file."

Since the only user choice in PS is in Preferences/Performance, I have no way to know what file and where it may be located. But I suspect the issue is outside of PS, perhaps in Acrobat?

I also cannot launch Encore for what appears to be the same reason (locked cache/scratch file), so the issue goes beyond PS.

One thing that seems a common thread is that these issues seem to affect only users with SSD C: drives using Win7.

Can't someone at Adobe chase down these issues that are affecting so many of us. At the very least, tell us the locations of the locked files and a method of unlocking them. I have tried giving blanket permissions to as many likely folders as I can find, and not only does the problem persist, but I am worried about my system security.

Please help. Please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2013 Sep 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you find an answer to this issue as I am having the same issue. I had issues with all the CS6 products, reinstallations have finally fixed all but photoshop. I get the same messages about the scratch file being locked.  Does it matter where CS6 is installed under windows 7 (Program Files or Program Files (x86))?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2013 Sep 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my problem appears to occur because my user files are not on my root drive.  i can run photoshop as an administrator, but its a pain in the neck because it means i cant click on a photo im looking at and ask photoshop to open it.  i have to go to photoshop, open as admin, then go back and find the picture.  its even more annoying because photoshop doesnt always display thumbnails for some file types (canon raw), so i often have to kind of guess which the heck it is.oh well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2013 Sep 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I finally found a solution. We had been installing the software from the dvd we received when we purchased the software.  My sys admin was able to install the software on my workstation and get it to run under his admin user and regular user accounts, it ran under my admin user account but not my regular user account. Copying preference files (one suggested fix) did not work.  Finally I tried the suggestion to load updates (duh, don't know why I didn't think of that earlier) because apparantly Adobe fixed whatever was broken in the permission issues. I started photoshop as admin, went to help, and launched updates.  It actually goes out  and will update all my CS programs - took a while but once it was completed photoshop finally works!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing today. Same ssd on boot and a seccond disk for temp etc. so, i staeted ps in admin mode and set the scratch disk to temp drive, then, uncheck the c: drive from the scratch list. No problems after that. Just this, no other work with permissions, disks or anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a similar problem.  I have windows 7, trial master edition of cs6, SCSI boot drive.  I cannot run Photoshop (64 bit) or bridge except as admin.  all other programs are fine and other adobe product lightroom is fine.  I unclicked the c: root drive scratch disk in Photoshop and tried using only one on a separate hard drive, but didn't help. windows7 apparently doesn't like any user writing to root and even as admin I wasn't able to permit user to write to root drive.  I also tried running as a different user (not admin) and it is exactly the same.

i spoke to adobe tech support and they just said to run as admin.  i am not a computer expert but am concerned that doing this while multitasking and running firefox or google or ie while using Photoshop could leave me vulnerable.  plus it just seems stupid to have to enter an admin password for these two programs.

the error messages I get:

1st: Could not open a scratch file because of a disk error

followed immediately by

2nd: Could not initialize photoshop because the preference file was invalid (it has been deleted)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry I didn't update this before now.

I solved the problems mentione above.

I gave in.

I bought a bigger ssd, moved my /user back to the C: drive and created a new user account (as the old one was munged with attepts to fix the problem earlier). Big pain, took a few hours an more later as i found things I'd set up that had to be changed.

end result...everything works now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines