• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Set Photoshop CS6 as default

Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2012 May 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have lots of JPG files that are"sort of one-of. All I need to do is open, crop, and print. I am trying to set Photoshop CS6 as the default for opening JPG files. I got through the "Open with" process to specify C:/Program Files/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64) bit/Photoshop.exe but it doesn't show up on the Open with list.

I have also been through the Control Pane > Default Programs > Set Acccociations which takes to the Open with window. I select there and get the same result; i.e., Photoshop CS6 never shows up on the list of programs.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just use Bridge.  You could add the folder to Bridge as a favourite to make it more easy to access.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

open with,browse, adobe, look for CS6 ,clik on it and thenuse as default program

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried this repeatedly, failed miserable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You probably have a32 and a 64 bit CS6 in your computer.This is fairly

normal. Are you running 32 or 64 bits? You may be trying to open in 32 bits,

but if your running 64 that MIGHT be the problem. If you open up MY

Computer and go into Adobe, see if you have both.

That's about the only thing I can tell

you other then calling Adobe and they will give you free help.

Photojay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally got it to work. Went to Bridge > Edit > Preferences > File Type Associations. Bridge showed everything as expected: i.e., Adobe Photoshop CS6 was the default for JPG files. When I had looked earlier, I said OK, that looks good. This time, just for kicks, I reset all the Dault Associations in Bridge.

Surprise! Surprise! Surprise!, Photoshop CS6 now shows up in the Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Default Programs > Set Associations for all the file types listed in Bridge.

The Tech service guy insisted that my Computer was the problem (I own 7 computers). Installed CS6 on two others (same problem, same fix).

Only thing that I can think of is something is not quite right with the installation program on the CD that Adobe sent me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beech04 wrote:

Finally got it to work. Went to Bridge > Edit > Preferences > File Type Associations

Only thing that I can think of is something is not quite right with the installation program on the CD that Adobe sent me.

Perhaps, but it is all too common a problem with new installations. Many users have to revise their file associations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2012 May 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having this same problem, but no amount of Reseting File Associations seems to help. I've also tried associating the files with both the 32 and 64 bit versions of the applications. You can browse to it when trying to "Open With" in Windows 7, but when you click on it, it does not get added to the list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2012 May 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having all the same problems. Setting the file associations through windows control panel > default programs lets me browse to Photoshop 6, but won't use it. Resetting default file associations in Bridge Edit > Preferences > File Type Associations does nothing. Manually using that panel to set individual filetypes to use "Adobe Photoshop CS6" looks promising, and if I open a jpg through Bridge it opens in Photoshop, but still no go if I click a file from windows explorer. Oddly, one of the suggested programs for jpgs is Illustrator.

Possibly related wackiness: that preferences dialog in Bridge opens partly off the top of my screen and can't be rescued. Just enough is visible to use it.

Win 7, 64bit Photoshop CS6 installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2012 May 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed Photoshop CS6, then found CS5 was still there. I thought, hey, I don't need CS5 anymore, so I uninstalled CS5. then I found out that Photoshop was no longer available in 'Open with' when right-clicking an image...

So I went into the Registry, HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Photoshop.exe\shell\open\command, and changed the (Default) from "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5 (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe" "%1" to "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe" "%1" (so changed CS5 to CS6) - and now I see 'Adobe Photoshop CS6' in my 'Open with' list when right-clicking an image...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 27, 2012 May 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you TinusHDCA. Your solution solved my problem which was the same as a few others above. It was definetely related to uninstalling CS5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2012 Jun 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another big thank you to TinusHDCA.  I had exactly the same problem and doubt that I would ever have found this resolution without your guidance.  Your post is greatly appreciated - it simply sorted my problem.  If you have a few minutes please visit www.duncangrove.com .  It mainly shows a lot of overpaid celebrity tennis players thwacking balls at Wimbledon but there a a couple of other genres.  Not everyone's cup of tea though some seem to like them.  Inevitably there will be 2012 updates towards the end of this month! 

Thanks again - in all honestly I found obvious work-arounds o the isue but the need for this irritated me and I was determined to find a proper resolution.  People like you taking the trouble to share restores my faith in the internet community!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 14, 2012 Jun 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The regedit has not work for me. I edit it exactly as you intructed. I change Photoshop 7.0 for Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit)\ etc but CS6 did not show on explorer. I also enter (32 Bit) without results. I tried no (32 or 64 Bit) and again it won't show. BTW photshop 7.0 dissapear but it was not replaced as expected

Do I need to reboot for changes to take effect? Any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't read the whole thread above, but did you try opening Bridge CS6, going into the Preferences - File Type Associations dialog, and clicking the [ Reset to Default Associations ] button?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, never mind. I had PS CS6 open. Once I close it the regedit work fine. Many thansk TinusHDCA!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2012 Jun 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For mine, the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Photoshop.exe\shell\edt\command was correctly set, however, the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Photoshop.exe\shell\open\command was set as

"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5.1 (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe" "%1". Surely there are some bugs in the installation program.

Thanks TinusHDCA.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2012 Jun 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@dytb2012: I did mention shell/open...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2012 Jun 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yah, yah. I know, just to hightlight the edit part.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2012 Dec 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @TinusHDCA! Even my IT department was having trouble figuring this one out.

Just a note to others, this registry location/method above works for all the CS6 programs, except Fireworks. For Fireworks you must edit the value located at HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.png or
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.pngfile

Also, Flash shows up as "FlashPlayer.exe" under the Registry, HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications but changing the value to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Flash CS6 \Flash.exe" "%1" fixes the .fla file associations to Flash CS6 too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2013 Jan 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, but I am technically challenged. I was able to find HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, but that's it. It doesn't lead to the other drilldowns listed in the fix that's been posted. Where do I go from there? I'm pretty surprised that this issue hasn't been fixed being that this thread was started in May. Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2013 Jan 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From there you can further drill down to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Photoshop.exe\shell\open\command?

Untitled.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 07, 2013 Jan 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have uninstalled a previous version of photoshop some users find the file associations fouled up.  Changing the file association in Bridge will not solve problem.  You either have to uninstall CS6, run the Adobe Script cleaner, or change a registry entry.

Here is entry from a previous post on problem.

So I went into the Registry, HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Photoshop.exe\shell\open\command, and changed the (Default) from "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5 (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe" "%1" to "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe" "%1" (so changed CS5 to CS6) - and now I see 'Adobe Photoshop CS6' in my 'Open with' list when right-clicking an image...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 26, 2013 Feb 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, a thanks from me too.  I had uninstalled previous versions, and then found photoshop CS5. was not available in the lists of default programmes, which was true for most of the CS5.5 suite, although strangely, Illustrator was listed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2013 Aug 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for solution TinusHDCA. It worked for me.

Now what I would like to do is keep both my CS5(Extended) and CS6 versions running on the same PC, but due to this fix, I can't bring up the CS5 exe as an option to "Open with" anymore. Is there a registry edit to make both apps availble in the "Open with" menu?

Thanks again, RMS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2013 Aug 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi RMS,

I have not tried keeping both CS5 and CS6 next to each other. You could try and add an additional key - maybe

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Photoshop2.exe\shell\open\command, and point that to CS5? I don't know whether that works...

TinusHDCA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines