• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I move the entire timeline to the right?

May 14, 2012 May 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI All: I have a project going, an ongoing project that I'm adding clips to, downstream as I shoot the in progression, week after week. Except today I found two clips that were shot before the first clip in my timeline. The timeline has three video tracks and two audio tracks. What I would like to do is to move the entire timeline to the right, all at once, to make room for the new clips on the front of the project.

I fiddled around with this before on another project and really buggered it up. I caould not find anything about dooing this in the PP help, nor searching the forum. I'm leary about trying it with one of the tools also. I can do it individually, but that would take a bunch of time and the there is no guarantee that I would get it all in the proper sequence. Can anyone shed some light on my problem. Thank you.  Spark

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Either...

Use the track select tool (A) together with the shift key.  Select the left most clip and drag the contents of the timeline to the right...

or...

With the timeline selected, Control-A to select all clips and with the select tool (V) select any track and drag to the right.  They will all move.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
May 15, 2012 May 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jon, thank you very much for your time in helping me out. All is well.

Spark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you pull the clip in, holding the Ctrl (PC) / Cmd (Mac) - Key and you pull it to the beginning of the timeline, you insert edit your clip and the rest will move to the right.Once you have a complex timeline with more stuff in there, you'll find this faster and cleaner then moving it all then inserting, then removing the gap (ripple delete)

also try this:

set yout in and out points for the clip in the source monitor,

in the timelineput the playhead ("current time indicator") to the point, you want your clip to be inserted (in this case Home-Button )

then hit the comma-key, by default the insertedit.

this is actually (for me) the quickest way of doing this. Let the NLE move stuff around for you, so you can worry about the editing

--

and keep smiling

...and keep smiling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Second that. Before inserting a new clip, the timeline looks like this:

Current_TL.png

Now drag a clip from the Source Monitor while holding CTRL pressed and you end up with:

Current_TL1.png

It simply inserts the clip and moves all other tracks to the right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Harm, it all worked out perfectly thanks to several people who came

to my rescue. It's all so easy when you know what you're doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 24, 2012 May 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

premiere: it is a little magic box indeed, Harm  😉

...and keep smiling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks you Felix for helping me out. I've got it now. Spark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2023 Jul 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Simple way. Use "select all" and move it to where you want it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines