• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Memory Leak?

Participant ,
Oct 24, 2006 Oct 24, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Robo is not able to display a topic with 12 embedded screen shots in WYSIWYG. Cleaned off machine, then re-imaged as base machine with no doodads. Still crashes, and apparently it is hanging resources somewhere. At times it can show a portion of the file.

Upgraded to X5.2, applied template patches. Ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RH for Word or RH HTML?

You say re-imaged. Did the image include RH or did you install it after applying a standard build? Did you install with your logon?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Peter - The tech support dude did the imaging, then used a CD to install Office X5. I then downloaded the 5.0.2 update and new templates. For a while, it seemed as if the problem was gone. It sure seems like it's eating memory, but I don't know what other problems might show the same symptoms. The logon was whatever this corporation uses.
The file just isn't big enough to hang up a 1 GB machine, in my experience. No other files have had this problem yet on this machine. I've tested. For a workaround, I could split it up, but that means 36 links affected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Peter - The tech support dude did the imaging, then used a CD to install Office X5. I then downloaded the 5.0.2 update and new templates. For a while, it seemed as if the problem was gone. It sure seems like it's eating memory, but I don't know what other problems might show the same symptoms. The logon was whatever this corporation uses.
The file just isn't big enough to hang up a 1 GB machine, in my experience. No other files have had this problem yet on this machine. I've tested. For a workaround, I could split it up, but that means 36 links affected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like the IT guy used his logon. Please see the topic on my site about installing RH, it must be installed with your logon. You need to uninstall and reinstall.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 25, 2006 Oct 25, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IT says we all have admin rights in my group, and I used my logon. The file breaks on my machine, but not on the boss's, which has 512 MB memory, half of mine. She also switched to "TrueCode" view and lost all the em dashes in her file. What the? My file is 91kb; hers is 300kb. The total project size is 48 MB, and I can't think of anything else of significance. Stumped in Okemos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we step back? You didn't answer my question "RH for Word or RH HTML?"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry - it's been years since I used Robo with Word. I didn't even know you could do Webhelp with it. This is HTML. Also, I tested more today and it's not just this file now, including ones substantially smaller. They just appear as "blank" white in WYSIWYG, but TrueCode says there's something there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Import one of these topics into a new project. If that continues to break, zip it up and send it to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're not working the project on a network, are you?

If you are, stop doing that.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is it that you can have a 91k file on your machine and presumably the same file at 300k on your boss's machine? Do you each have a copy of the RH project on your own PC, or is it stored on a network for "sharing"? As Leon says, and others have said many times in this forum, you will certainly have file problems working across a network.

Open the 91k file and the 300k file in Notepad and compare contents. You might find something there.

Here's a long shot.

Do your file names have odd characters? For example, these file names will cause trouble in RoboHelp:

watching.screens.htm
photo.section3.gif
nighttime(dark)shadows.htm
ab&c.htm
Travels with Charlie.htm.

This often happens when importing a Word document that has a file name like this. Also, when importing long Word documents and breaking them into smaller topics at Heading 1. There are other ways you can stumble into file name errors.

Keep them short and simple, use underscores_or_hyphens if-you-need-separations in a file name.

Can you import the bad file into a new RH WebHelp project? If that works OK, look for problems in the project houskeeping files.

48MB sounds like a lot of stuff. You may have harmless bloat, or some corruption of data. See Peter's site (I think) for instructions on how to delete and re-create the CPD file, for example, or the XPJ file.

Another strategy is (with the project not open in RH) to back up the CPD file and open it in MS Access, where you can do some housekeeping, such as compacting the database. Put the rejuvenated CPD file in the project folder, start RH and open the project.

Be aware that if you rebuild the CPD file you will lose some things, such as your output layouts and, I think, topic status and comments in the properties dialog.

Good luck.

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I loved Travels with Charley. Let's see, in order:
- I will have to see about getting permission to send out the client's file if it breaks. They are a medical agency and HIPAA always looms large.
- No, Leon, but thanks for the laugh. I was warning people about network issues in 1991.
- Presumption incorrect, H. Boss tried another file, just the biggest we had to see if it would crash. She got the vanishing em dashes.
- I have looked in U-Edit. Nothing any weirder than usual (no obvious corruption).
- I don't have weird file names. My predecessor used underscores in names. This is no time for renaming. We go live Tuesday.
- 48 MB is a lot of stuff, but I'm the FNG who has to make this pig fly. The size is due to a huge number of graphics of very large screens.
- I'll try the database skulduggery as a last ditch effort.
- Thanks for all the ideas!
-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this is a non project specific project problem, you should be able to recreate it in a dummy project that you can send me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Oct 26, 2006 Oct 26, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
What file types are these screen shots, were they converted as part of a file import, and how were they "embedded"?

We've been aggressively reducing the size of our screen shots, with wonderful results, by only providing specific areas of the screen related to the specific content being discussed (with text bubbles pointing out relevant items). Saves a lot of file space...

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp