• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Calling WebHelp from JS doesn't display content in frames

May 15, 2012 May 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We are using WebHelp on a UNIX server run from the cloud, to replace the original spartan-at-best, flat-HTML help content that was released with a web-based program, all of which was "context-sensitive" via mapping to #Name destinations within the old help  web page. To make it work, we have a JavaScript that maps the old #Name destinations to the new WebHelp MapIDs and redirects the old help web page to a subdirectory that has the WebHelp output files. But, it's not working correctly. If we invoke WebHelp via

HH_DISPLAY_TOC, the new WebHelp opens within the frameset, but the context-sensitive mapping doesn't work.

The programmer says we need a way to call help using a URL. So, I sent him what it says in the RH help system for programmers:

RH_ShowHelp(0, "IQ_Help/util_en.html", HH_HELP_CONTEXT, HelpTag)

I also sent him a PDF of the RH help topics for programmers about calling WebHelp.

From what I gather reading the JavaScript (and I am NOT a programmer), he has set HelpTag as the variable for the Map ID that is provided in a .properties file.

Tried unsuccessfully using the following ways of calling it (not as sequential lines of code, but as replacement methods of the same line of code):

• RoboHelp_ShowHelp(http://[servername]/IQ_Help/util_en.html, 0)
  • RH_ShowHelp(0, "IQ_Help/util_en.html>UUGuide%20SPi",HH_HELP_CONTEXT, HelpTag)
  • RH_ShowHelp(0, "IQ_Help/util_en.html>UUGuide%20SPi",HH_DISPLAY_TOC, HelpTag)
  • http://[servername]/robohelp/rest/robowindow?wtype=ctx&context=HelpTag <-as a call to URL

I'm sorry, I'm looking like a real idiot around here -- I really don't know much at all about Java or JavaScript, and I have never had to direct a programmer through how to get the help call to work, and I'm at the end of his patience with me... I don't know where else to turn...I need some insight from YOU.

I thought about providing the text of the JavaScript here, but I don't know for sure whether it would show up as text, or how to make it an attachment that's safe. Please tell me...?

Thanks in advance,

Rene

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 16, 2012 May 16, 2012

Tommy Simmons article is an old article and I guess he has pulled it.

The reason you are confused is that a lot of this is stuff for your developers to read and figure out. You may need to involve your line manager in any politics if they are pushing it to you.

That said the URL stuff does not require APIs. If you just look at Calling WebHelp Using URLs on my site or the link Rick has given you, I think you will be OK with that. Post back if not.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
May 15, 2012 May 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You want to start out by reading the following articles:

Ā· http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/calling_webhelp/calling_webhelp.htm

Ā· http://www.adobe.com/devnet-archive/robohelp/articles/context_help.html

Ā· http://www.wvanweelden.eu/robohelp/context_sensitivity_in_webhelp (itā€™s a bit technical so beware)

If you have any questions after that, please post back.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 16, 2012 May 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe it is the developer's job to know how to call help. I accept it's our job to help them but that's not the same thing.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, Peter...but I can't change their mindset about this one. Believe me, I have tried, but all that did is give them cause to belittle me on a conference call...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Willam & Peter,

Thanks for all the great articles. I am trying to digest it all. So far I have a couple of questions:

1. Where did the linked article called "Tommy Simmons topic" go? The link "http://www.employmentlawadvisors.com/resources/csh4webhelp.html" is broken...

2. The articles all refer to APIs. I'm using TCS2, output to WebHelp (not WH Pro), so I thought that APIs were just with the WH Pro output? I'm confused...

I'm sorry to be so clueless, but this is new territory for me. I used to do RH for CHM output back around 2002, but from 2003-2009 all the help systems I developed used condition-tagged, single-sourced FM files for single-sourced output with help generated by WebWorks Pro. Now that I'm with a different company, I'm back in an Adobe shop, but RH is a lot different as part of TCS than it used to be. (I think the changes are positive, but I do have a learning curve.) Thank you for being patient with me.

Rene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tommy Simmons article is an old article and I guess he has pulled it.

The reason you are confused is that a lot of this is stuff for your developers to read and figure out. You may need to involve your line manager in any politics if they are pushing it to you.

That said the URL stuff does not require APIs. If you just look at Calling WebHelp Using URLs on my site or the link Rick has given you, I think you will be OK with that. Post back if not.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I need to pour over this tonight, and I think tomorrow I might be able to use the new understanding that I gather as fodder for a conversation with a developer... Feeling like Pooh, "Think, think..."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 21, 2012 May 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I think we have the URL issue figured out. The developer isn't "happy" with the solution, but it is what it is.

Next issue... gotta find a way to get the topic titles automatically named as <MapID>.htm to ensure they're unique and don't change when the heading text changes... says he...

Cheers!

Rene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 21, 2012 May 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If your developer isn't satisfied with the deafult API, you can take a look a some custom example API's I created: http://www.wvanweelden.eu/robohelp/webhelp_api

Perhaps that will make both you and the developer happy.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp