• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

non-scrolling topic - CSS change doesn't take effect

New Here ,
May 09, 2012 May 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to create a non-scrolling region in WebHelp, RH 9. I followed some instructions to change the style tag for the area that I don't want to have scroll to position="fixed." Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to change my output at all and the region scrolls just fine.

I don't want to go the frame route. Any ideas? Here is the CSS code for the style. It appears at the top of the page, and I want it to stay at the top for all topics.

H2 {

font-weight: bold;

font-size: 18.0pt;

position: fixed;

left: 0px;

right: 0px;

width: 100%;

top:-24px;

background-color: #ffffff;

}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not ask this question in the thread where it was posted?

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4300696#4300696

Maybe the poster there can help you.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wasn’t sure if it mattered that it’s a webhelp output….but will do

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try your code in a CHM first then and then post your findings in the other thread. I still think that is the best place to pursue it.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Peter. Good to see Mosens85 kind contribution!

And, thanks to our resident CSS expert Willam van Weelden who was kind enough to remind me that one of the big "gotchas" here is to assure browser compatibility you will want to make sure you have not "ticked" the Option Setting to Convert RoboHelp topics to HTML.

The following non-scrolling region worked for me in IE 7, 8, and 9 as well as Firefox 12 after taking Willam's advice.

p.H1_Fixed {

font-size: 18pt;

line-height: 55pt;

text-transform: uppercase;

top: 0;

left: 0;

right: 0;

margin: 0;

padding: 35pt 0 0 10pt;

background: #fff url(gdd_logo.png) no-repeat 99% 90%;

border-bottom: 1px solid #000000;

}

John Daigle

Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor

Evergreen, Colorado

www.showmethedemo.com

John Daigle
Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2012 May 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m baffled as to why it does not work. Seemed the key component is the position and I have the same setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try moving the style to the end of your CSS file.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Backtrack on that. Does the definition John has given work? Note it is a paragraph class, not a heading style.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

H1 {

font-size: 18pt;

line-height: 55pt;

top: 0;

left: 0;

right: 0;

margin: 0;

padding: 35pt 0 0 10pt;

border-bottom: 1px solid #000000;

}

Playing some more, the above is working for me in both FF and IE. It doesn't work in a CHM.

What browser are you using and what version? I am wondering if this is a browser specific issue?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will do so; just in the middle of build today so it’ll take me a little time.

Goal is to have non-scrolling region with RT button below…..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2012 May 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I am using IE 8.

None of the suggestinos work. I can't get it to work in a .chm. It doesn't work if I move the style to the bottom of the .css. It doesn't work as a paragraph style, either.

This seems soooo handy and it could really help my team....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hold up. Your original post referred to webhelp. In one reply I pointed out that the method worked in webhelp but not CHMs. Now you are saying you cannot get it to work in a CHM. What are you generating?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I want it to be in WebHelp, but per the suggestion, I tried the .chm as well. It doesn’t work in either, unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a new topic and use one of the supplied CSS files that you have not used.

Try in that and post back.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2012 May 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I used the H1 style.

I have topics tied to a master page. Updated the style in the master page and reapplied the master page to all the topics. The region still scrolls.

I also tried it in a topic that was not tied to a master page.

I see the border applied and the other changes take effect, but the region still scrolls.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 15, 2012 May 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Just to make sure: Did you test in WebHelp, CHM, Preview or Design editor? I got it working in WebHelp perfectly with the H1 style.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2012 May 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried it in both the chm and WebHelp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 16, 2012 May 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have put a revised CSS definition on my site at http://www.grainge.org/pages/snippets/snippets.htm#content in Item 21.

Try that in a new project. If it still does not work, post back.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2012 May 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi all,

About the need for non-scrolling regions: I just want to mention that as I was very happy to have found ways to add a non-scrolling region to topics for my online help, this once non-negotiable requirement from my client became less relevant when we decided to chunk the information, based on an information architecture, in such a way that the bulk of the text in a topic is never very long. In cases where there is a need for more information, I have used drop-down text to keep the page as short as possible and allow the reader to see the information at a glance. In early user testing of the online help, we did not use non-scrolling regions and the users never noticed it and never required it since they rarely had to scroll the pages to get the information.

If ever you cannot find a way to make non-scrolling region work with your online help, maybe chunking your information may be something to consider, although I understand that it implies some or a lot of work and that it might not fit your timeline for delivery.

François Masson

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp