6 Replies Latest reply: May 16, 2012 1:38 PM by pkahrel RSS

JS: How to check if the Find/Change panel is open?

pkahrel Community Member

Is there a way to check if the Find/Change panel is open?

Thanks,

Peter

• 1. Re: JS: How to check if the Find/Change panel is open?
          Dave Saunders Community Member

I can't think of a way. Why do you care?

Dave

• 2. Re: JS: How to check if the Find/Change panel is open?
            pkahrel Community Member

I have a script that depends on the F/C panel to be open, so I thought that script might as well try to open it. Not a very big deal.

On the other hand, scripts that use ScriptUI interfaces with an edittext control are fooled by the F/C panel: the first Enter/Return keypress closes the F/C panel, the second one disappears heavens knows where, the third one finally is caught by whatever was supposed to have received the Enter/Return in the first place. So in this case, closing the F/C panel would be useful.

Peter

• 3. Re: JS: How to check if the Find/Change panel is open?
              [Jongware] CommunityMVP

Menu-Invoke "Find/Change"?

Somewhere in a past version the Find/Change dialog behavior got messed up. Ctrl+F doesn't (always) activate it, and if it *is* activated, the cursor doesn't always pops up in the Find What field. If it doesn't, I have to press Ctrl+2/Ctrl+1 to temporary switch to the GREP tab and back (and then you *can* type in something). Another bummer: when the Find dialog is "up" and active but not responding, you also cannot use Tab to go through its items, or Esc to discard it, or Alt+(any underlined shortcut in the dialog).

• 4. Re: JS: How to check if the Find/Change panel is open?
                pkahrel Community Member

Between CS4 and CS4 several things got messed up (the Find/Change panel, the ESTK, and ScriptUI's edittext control come to mind). One aspect of the Find/Change panel that was messed up was that Ctrl+F became a toggling key (one press pops up the panel, the next key press hides it). This means that invoking the menu shows the panel or hides it, but you can't test its visibility. In CS3 and earlier versions,Ctrl+F behaved as it does in DreamWeaver, Illustrator, Notepad, ESTK, Explorer2, etc. etc.: Ctrl+F shows the panel if it's not shown, and activates the "Find" field if the panel is visible -- and that's how it should be. I mean, I'm a flexible chap in general but some rules should be adhered to.

The Find/Change panel is a funny beast anyway: it's not a dialog proper, because you can happily beaver away in InDesign while it's displayed (which isn't possible with a proper dialog displayed, such as Text Frame Options or Paragraph Rules). It behaves like a panel, but its status as a panel is not exposed to the scripting model: you can't get to it as you can to all the other panels. By the way, the tabs panel (Type > Tabs) behaves in the same terrible way as the Find/Change panel.

Peter

• 5. Re: JS: How to check if the Find/Change panel is open?
                  [Jongware] CommunityMVP

>it's not a dialog proper, because you can happily beaver away in InDesign while it's displayed (which isn't possible with a proper dialog displayed, such as Text Frame Options or Paragraph Rules)

(Gently rolling OT here.) Could it get any worse? Yup, Adobe managed to do exactly that! Ever tried to make sense of the behavior of that infernal "dialog" in CS5.5 where you input custom settings for exporting objects to an e-pub? What is it, a panel? A dialog? Why does it have a "Done" button, and why is it the default (as pressing Enter will discard it!)? Why not an "Apply"?

• 6. Re: JS: How to check if the Find/Change panel is open?
                    pkahrel Community Member

> Could it get any worse? . . . Why not an "Apply"?

Quite. Maybe it's time for a maintenance release: not a dot release that fixes some bad bugs, but a new version, say, CS7, that doesn't add any new things but makes all the existing things work as they should. Or at any rate, as many things as possible.

> Between CS4 and CS4 several things got messed up

I meant 'Between CS3 and CS4 several things got messed up'. CS3 has fewer features than its successors, of course (drifting further OT), but it is a rock solid program. Much more stable than CS4 ever was (which was a low point, especially w.r.t. the ESTK). With CS5 things got better, fortunately.

Peter