1 Reply Latest reply: May 16, 2012 7:26 AM by Arnis Gubins RSS

Embedding bookmarked text from Word

ksoltys Community Member

I suspect that I know what the answer to this question is going to be, but ….

Is it possible to embed bookmarked text from a Word document into a FrameMaker document?

In a little more detail, I have Word documents that documents have bookmarks defining some text selections. In Word, I can use IncludeText fields to include the content of those bookmarks in other documents as linked text.  I would like to be able to include the bookmarked text in FrameMaker documents as well. Essentially, this does the same thing as including a text inset in FrameMaker.

I could just copy and paste, but I would much prefer to have the text linked, as it is in Word when I use the IncludeText field.

Is this possible, and if so, how?

• 1. Re: Embedding bookmarked text from Word
          Arnis Gubins ACP/MVPs

In short, no. Word's bookmarks are ignored by FM's import filters (Reference is in the FM Filters.pdf manual last updated for FM7.2 in 2005).

You could possibly create a VBA macro in Word to extract the bookmarked content from the Word file(s) and place those into a MIF formatted file with each bookmarked snippet in a separate flow. Only then, could you import the individual bookmarks (as text insets). Maintenance issues are a consideration and your workflow would have to take into account how you would update the created file with new content and preserve the FM text insets.