• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator Crashing

Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2012 May 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can open Illustrator just fine but when I go to make a new document or open and existing document the program crashes and I get the "Adobe Illustrator has stopped working" message box.

All of my other Adobe programs work just fine. I've already tried clearing out the Illustrator settings but it doesn't help. Any suggestions on what to do next?

Program: Adobe Illustrator CS5.1

Computer:

Windows 7

Intel i5 3.00GHz

8 GB ram

Error Details:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:          APPCRASH

Application Name:          Illustrator.exe

Application Version:          15.1.0.39

Application Timestamp:          4d76c9e3

Fault Module Name:          AGM.dll

Fault Module Version:          4.20.69.9418

Fault Module Timestamp:          4c296457

Exception Code:          c0000005

Exception Offset:          00240f9d

OS Version:          6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48

Locale ID:          1033

Additional Information 1:          0a9e

Additional Information 2:          0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Additional Information 3:          0a9e

Additional Information 4:          0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Oct 13, 2014 Oct 13, 2014

Hey, I don't know if your computer has been solved, but I come across the information below which may help you fix the problem:

If you keep getting the “Adobe Illustrator has stopped working” message box, look through the Win7 admin logs and you will find that every time you open illustrator it is attempting to access a network printer (your default printer), and is being denied access. That’s because the printer isn’t set up correctly. Therefore, updating or reinstalling the printer driver may h

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2012 May 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aww come one guys. Nothing? Really?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could be one of two or three things.

1 Corrupt Preferences

2. Pernissionss problem you might need to repair the permissions and you might have to do it manually and it could be the permissions to the Illustrator settings folder is the culpret, might be but not necessarily.

3. Your scratch disk is filled or doesnot have enough continuous free space available that is continuous free space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try a New user account and see if the problem goies away that will tell us a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I have one of my coworkers log onto the computer they can start it up just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So that looks like a corruption on your user account. It is probably the setings folder either it is corrupt or the permissions have to be repaired.

I believe you right click on the folder and go to the properties to set the permissions read write and have it associate all items with in the folder to that setting.

But you can try this first if this does not work then it is probably permissions and if that does not work you will have to set up a new user account for yourself if it returns tthan I would say it is a font or conflict something you use tht your co worker does not use.

Try this first

1. Quit Illustrator.

2. Rename the AIPrefs file (for example, to AIPrefs.old) in the Users/(user)/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Adobe Illustrator CS# Settings folder.

3. Start Illustrator. Illustrator creates a new preferences file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2012 Jun 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem (crashes whenever I try to create a new document):

have tried the following:

1. Deleted all fonts but system fonts
  2. Created a fresh user account (and ran illustrator from there, still the same issue)
  3. Renamed the AIprefs file as above to AIPrefs.old and relaunched illustrator (new AIprefs not generated on new launch, still crashes when creating a new document)
  4. Modified File Permissions on the Adobe illustrator program files folder
  5. Tried running Adobe Illustrator using the 'Run as Administrator' option
  6. Tried both 64bit and 32bit versions

Still no Joy.

What is up with the PC version of Illustrator? practically every other piece of software I install just works even other adobe apps from the same CS version - Fireworks CS6 I thought might have the same problem if I had bogus fonts that were causing issues. At least that would be a way of further tracking down the problem.

Admittedly I'm only installing the trial version here, but surely there are a bunch of other people having the same issue as this?

below is the crash report I'm getting:

Faulting application name: Illustrator.exe, version: 16.0.0.682, time stamp: 0x4f6e45b7

Faulting module name: AGM.dll, version: 4.26.20.19822, time stamp: 0x4f5692e1

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x00000000002b05d2

Faulting process id: 0x10a0

Faulting application start time: 0x01cd4dec3c81c751

Faulting application path: F:\ProgramData\Adobe Illustrator CS6 (64 Bit)\Support Files\Contents\Windows\Illustrator.exe

Faulting module path: F:\ProgramData\Adobe Illustrator CS6 (64 Bit)\Support Files\Contents\Windows\AGM.dll

Report Id: 83b3bc4c-b9df-11e1-9873-a4badbfc263d

System information:

Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1

Dell Vostro 430

Intel Core i5 CPU

4.00GB RAM

64-bit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reinstall the Adobe Apps on the C drive which is where they should be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have tried reinstalling on the C drive, same crash (when opening a new document)

Seens to give the same problem with AGM.dll

have tried running the app from 2 different user accounts (usual and newly created profile)

have tried again to run as administrator in case of a permissions issue.

same deal.

might be time to try it on a mac instead.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Faulting application name: Illustrator.exe, version: 16.0.0.682, time stamp: 0x4f6e45b7

Faulting module name: AGM.dll, version: 4.26.20.19822, time stamp: 0x4f5692e1

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x00000000002b05d2

Faulting process id: 0x19c0

Faulting application start time: 0x01cd4e92922a8013

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CS6 (64 Bit)\Support Files\Contents\Windows\Illustrator.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CS6 (64 Bit)\Support Files\Contents\Windows\AGM.dll

Report Id: df4bc81b-ba85-11e1-a534-a4badbfc263d

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2015 Feb 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this before and forgot how to repair it, thanks Wade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2012 Sep 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. I can start illustrator from a different user account. I would like not to have to make a new user account, though.

I tried changing the prefs filename, as well as deleting the folder en_US in the AdobeIllustratorCS6 folder. The folder regenerates but still no luck.

Permissions are set to allow read write for all folders

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 20, 2012 Sep 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try checking for permissions on these folders one by one:  C:\Users\Current_User\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CSx Settings

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Adobe Illustrator CSx Settings

Permissions on above folders should be R & W.

If these settings are fine then check for permissions on these folders at location: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CSx\Presets\

Adobe Illustrator CSx

Presets

Permissions on above folders should atleast be 'Read' or 'Read & Write' both.

Please check these and let us know if it helps you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try the solution provided in the thread regarding the similar issue

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4687911#4687911

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, thanks all, I figured it out. I looked through the Win7 admin logs and it seems every time I opened illustrator it was attempting to access a network printer (my default printer), and was being denied access. I knew that printer wasn't set up correctly, but why Illustrator needs to try to log onto it when opening a file, or why the specific error isn't reported to the user is beyond me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 20, 2014 Sep 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you onlymeBNT, solved my problem too after about 24 hours of head scratching! And never a hint from Adobe about this issue and it is now 2014...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2015 May 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! My Illustrator CC hasn't been working for days. Setting the default printer to Adobe PDF solved it. 😃

It's a mystery to me why Adobe hasn't solved this yet or at least post standard solutions to the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2015 Jul 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ex-effing-cuse me?!

Ok, first of all THANK YOU! I wasted a lot of time trying stuff, and your solution saved me.

Secondly, WHY IN GOD'S NAME DOES THAT ISSUE EXIST?!

Even if we accept the fact that illustrator needs to 'connect' with your printer (BIG if), why on earth does THE WHOLE PROGRAM crash? Creashes, just crashes, no ifs or buts.

This isn't a start-up company or an open-source project, it's freaking Adobe! Really dissapointing...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 13, 2014 Oct 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I don't know if your computer has been solved, but I come across the information below which may help you fix the problem:

If you keep getting the “Adobe Illustrator has stopped working” message box, look through the Win7 admin logs and you will find that every time you open illustrator it is attempting to access a network printer (your default printer), and is being denied access. That’s because the printer isn’t set up correctly. Therefore, updating or reinstalling the printer driver may help solve the issue. However, if you don’t even have a printer, check the Print Spooler service. It is probably that the service has been stopped. Turning it on and restarting and your error will be solved soon.
Click Start button and go to Run, type msconfig in the Run Window and click open msconfig under Programs.

type-msconfig

A window will appear, go to the Services tab and search for the Print Spooler service, make sure it is enabled.

services

After turn it on restart you PC and everything should be OK now.

Or you can click Start -> Control Panel ->Administrative Tools -> Services. And then start your print spooler and set it to automatic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2015 Jan 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YOU are a master! Printer offline due to low BL ink.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2015 Apr 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was going to make a similar question about Illustrator CC crashing, AND THIS TRICK TOTALLY WORKS!!!

You sorcerer, thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2016 Apr 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved for me on W10 (turning off the Print Spool)! Thank you so much 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2015 Jan 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a same problem and no action was effective! Then I changed my default printer to "PDF printer" and everything turns on!

But the question still live: why Illustrator is linked to our printers ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2015 Sep 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, everyone. I've spent 2 days trying to fix this issue. Tried everything on the forums and online, deleted and reinstalled multiple times. Everything except changing my default printer.

I can finally use the program now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2015 Oct 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BRAVOOOOO

Thank you. Santini

Very helpful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2015 Sep 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too - thanks for the fix, it totally worked for me when I changed my default printer to a local printer from a network printer. Considering this issue has been known since 2012, I'm pretty unimpressed that it hasn't been fixed by now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines