• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I export a Quicktime with Alpha embedded?

Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2012 May 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a few titles that I've created in Premiere.  I've placed these titles into their own sequence and would like to export them as a Quicktime movie using the Animation codec with an embedded alpha channel (Millions+) so that I can import it into After Effects and do some animation work with them.  I don't want them against black though. 

When I Export Media in Premiere and select Quicktime with the Animation codec, the "code settings" button is greyed out.

Please help.  There must be a way to export media with an embedded alpha channel like you can in FCP.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 16, 2012 May 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using Premiere Pro  CS 5.5 or CS6 ?

You can check this link for exporting quicktime with alpha :

http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2010/07/exporting_video_with_an_alpha.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 01, 2012 Sep 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case PNG or Animation won't do, is it possible to export ProRes4444 with alpha ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 04, 2012 Sep 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Replying to myself : yes, you can export ProRes4444 with alpha (and DNxHD too if you have Avid Codecs installed).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 04, 2012 Sep 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sadly in cs6 Premiere Pro several of the different DNxHD codec choices alpha chanels aren't properly recognized. For instance in my personal experince the 8-bit versions with alphas give your entire picture a yellowish tint. The only one that works is the DNxHD 220 10-bit option. I haven't tried any of the other codecs in the pack though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vipul has probably given you the info that you need, but for next time, here is an alternative workflow:

Create the Titles in Photoshop, and Save_As a Layered PSD. That can then be Imported into AE for animation. I find that PS offers many more options, than does PrPro's Titler, though it has gained power over the versions.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using the Animation codec or PNG for that matter you need to set the bit depth to 32-bit for it to have a alpha channel. You can also use Lagarith with for HD stuff is the codec I recommend for animations with alpha channels although UT works great too and also will work properly on MAC's. From what I have read. You can also make alpha's with DNxHD but I really prefer to use Lagarith or UT for animations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lots of answers here. Vipul provided a good link. Just in case, here are a couple of screen shots. The first is the export settings from Premiere Pro. The second is an AE comp where I told AE to make the background red instead of the normal black to avoid confusion.

Notice the project panel in AE where it shows you the properties of the title.

Pr title export.pngAE titles.png

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Sep 02, 2012 Sep 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WoOWavE_Sync_Pro,

I don't see what is complicated about it at all. I don't mean to start an argument, but making a title is easy, exporting it with an Alpha channel is easy (as shown above). Where is the problem? Why go to TIFF? I certainly would never "export normally and key out the backgrounf (sic) in AE"

Perhaps you would care to explain your comments in more detail?

If you are interested in the font style I used, it came from Tim Kolb back in the CS3 days or before. I have a link to his styles on my web site. I used to count the downloads, but over the years I lost track.

Of course, having said that, if I was going to have a complicated title with motion, I would use AE to begin with.  And I would probably use a downloaded template as a starting point. But that is because other people are more creative than I am. I am just a techie dabbling on the creative side of things.

By the way, I suppose I should get around to testing your product. If I like it, I will post a link on my web site to direct people to it. Feel free to send me an email from my web site telling me why people should use it and what you want people to know about it. And you might want to suggest how to test it as well. I used to get a LOT of visitors every day. It has cut way back since I have not been updating it. Now that I have started to update it again, I expect the visitor count will rise again. The moderator is only doing his/her job. This is a site sponsored by a corporation, and advertising for other companies is probably not good form (besides being against the rules).

http://www.stevengotz.com

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines