Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adjust audio level across a whole project

Contributor ,
May 17, 2012 May 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captivate v5.5

I have created a project with slide narration added over 2-3 days.

I now want to ensure the level of my slide by slide narration is consistant across the project.

If I select "Normalise" from Audio/Edit Project/Adjust Volume what (if anything) should I do with the Volume slider on the left ?

Would you recommend this as being the best option ?

Is there a better option ?

Thanks,

Noel

TOPICS
Audio and video

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 17, 2012 May 17, 2012

Noel,

Normalising audio is usually done to even out difference in volume between audio on different slides in your project.  So if you noticed that some slides were significantly louder or softer than others, you could use normalisation to get them all sounding more or less the same.

I'm not sure if you have the ELS suite or just Captivate, but his blog post has a quick overview of how to perform edits on audio across multiple Captivate slides using Adobe Audition.  You can use other audio editors

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel,

Normalising audio is usually done to even out difference in volume between audio on different slides in your project.  So if you noticed that some slides were significantly louder or softer than others, you could use normalisation to get them all sounding more or less the same.

I'm not sure if you have the ELS suite or just Captivate, but his blog post has a quick overview of how to perform edits on audio across multiple Captivate slides using Adobe Audition.  You can use other audio editors in a similar way to some extent, but the roundtripping between Captivate and audio editors that belong to the ELS is usually superior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rod,

Normalising in Captivate. Do you know if this function lowers all volumes to the lowest level, raises all volumes to the highest level or brings lowest up and highest down to a mid range volume ?

ELS/Captivate...I just have Captivate and in this situation was just wanting to be sure each slide is going to have the same level of volume. I cannot identify any great difference between the slides, so am now tempted to leave it as it is...let sleeping slides lie!

Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It makes them all about the same level. There is an optimum sound level (can't remember what that is) that's regarded as an industry standard.  From memory it sets them all to that level.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks...That is fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources