• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I choose and then install the correct version of Adobe Flash Player for my machine?

May 14, 2012 May 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First thing - My computer -   PROCESSOR: Intel Celeron 450 @2.2 Ghz,  MEMORY: 4GB,  OS:  Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64 bit,  BROWSER:  IE 9.0.8112.16421

Everything was hunky-dory until the auto-installer updated my version to the Flash Player 11.2 version and that's when it all went downhill.  As soon as it installed that version, none of the TV networks, news networks or Hulu recognized that I had Adobe Flash Player.  In addition, I could no longer create a blank new tab in IE or use the tools button (the little gear symbol) in the upper right hand of an IE window.  Because of the IE problems, I figured it was a problem with IE and went about searching for a solution in that arena.  I finally found something at Microsoft that helped me determine if it was an IE problem and went through the various steps.  The final step required booting into safemode and trying to replicate the problem.  IE worked fine in safemode so, Microsoft determined the problem had to be with outside influences.

After several frustrating attempts with other fixes including virus scanning and firewall settings, the problem persisted.  I then un-installed Flash Player per Adobe's instruction and re-installed the recommended 'latest' version.  The problem remained.  So, when all else had failed I did a full system restore to a point over a month ago, which is prior to the occurence of the problem, while at the same time noting which drivers and programs would be affected.  I already had a sneaking suspicion that it was Flash Player because I read the full system requirements for the recommended version that the auto installer was trying to install (see below).  I then began updating everything one at a time to see if any of the windows/software/driver updates had any affect on IE.  None did until I got to the Adobe Flash Player and updated it.

Now, what I think the problem is:  The auto installer ONLY looks at Operating System and Browser to determine which version of Adobe Flash Player is correct.  In this regard, my machine should use the latest 11.2 version.  HOWEVER, if you look at the full system requirements for the 11.2 versions, you will note that it requires a...... 2.33 Ghz processor!  In this regard, 11.2 is NOT the correct version for my machine as it only has a 2.2 Ghz processor.  And I think therein lies the problem.

So.  I freely admit that I am not a computer expert and am, in fact, so far removed from ever even contemplating wearing such a title that I'm sure all who read this are sitting in your offices having a good laugh at my expense.  As such, I welcome anyone and everyone to tell me what I've done wrong and how I should go about fixing it.  If my deductions are correct, then could someone please tell me how to choose the correct version for my machine and then tell me how to actually install it on my machine.

I know that this is a long post and I thank you all for your patience and any help you choose to offer me.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 14, 2012 May 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Usuallyexasperated wrote:

it requires a...... 2.33 Ghz processor!

You can safely ignore that requirement; it is simply not true.

Windows 7 (both 32-bit & 64-bit) runs perfectly fine with Flash Player 11.2

I suggest that you try a clean install, as described in http://forums.adobe.com/thread/928315

To reinstall, download and run

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
May 15, 2012 May 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mr. Willener,

Thank you for your reply.

I did un-install and then re-install per the Adobe recommendations which are what you listed in your reply.  The problem remained until I did a MS Windows restore to a restore point a month or so ago.  The IE problems vanished.  However, now I'm using an outdated and unsupported version that is lower than most of the web pages require for their sites, at least the ones I want to view (they all say I need to upgrade my Flash Player which, when I did, put me in this fix).

As to:

Pat Willener wrote:

Usuallyexasperated wrote:

it requires a...... 2.33 Ghz processor!

You can safely ignore that requirement; it is simply not true.

Why would Adobe post a system requirement of 2.33 Ghz for 11.2 if it simply were not true?

Message was edited by: Usuallyexasperated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 15, 2012 May 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We don't do a check for the speed of your CPU.  We suggest that speed for acceptable performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 17, 2012 May 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, if the CPU speed is suggested for acceptable performance and I am

experiencing unacceptable performance would not that be the defacto

reason?

In the interest of clarity, however: Regardless of whether it is the

reason or not the reason, could you please provide me with some insight or

way (that I have not already tried) to attempt to solve the problems that I

have?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 17, 2012 May 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can you again try the clean install, as per my earlier post?

Then check

If the problem persists, can you list all files you have in

• C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash ?
  • C:\Windows\syswow64\Macromed\Flash ?
  • also list the contents of the FlashInstall.log files from both above folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines