• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Any way to design a "hit counter" using RH 7 non-server?

New Here ,
May 18, 2012 May 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using RH 7 HTML  with Windows 7 on a local drive and publishing to a share of the corp sever. We have many help files that are languishing on the server and we don't have an easy way to determine if they are even used anymore. Any way to do a 'hit counter" that would just let us determine if the file is ever used? Doesn't have to be exotic. Thanks for any help.

John

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are scripts you can insert but would it not be quicker and easier to start afresh. Maybe rename the existing location and recreate the old name and publish afresh?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if I didn't make my question clear or I don't understand your response. I'l try to clarify why we need the info. The files in question were created a long time ago, updated to RH 7 and republished, but the info contained in the files is static and they have never had to be updated. As they sit on the server, we don't know if they are ever used, so we cannot decide which ones we can eliminate and which ones should remain available. This is a large company with thousands of possible users in many different areas of the company. I hope this clarifies my need. Thanks for your response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

So if I understand correclty, you want to know how many people are using the help, right? Is the help hosted on any kind of web server? If so, the web server should have access logs you can check to see whether the site is visited at all.

Alternatively, you can use a hit counter script to track how many people use the help:http://statcounter.com/free-hit-counter/ But I don't know whether it will work for documents that are only accessible from an intranet. And there is another downside: This would only start counting the moment you add the script to the project. So you don't know how much the help has been used since it was uploaded.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You understanding is correct, but the files are on a share of the corp server on the Intranet. We are unable to use a standard hit counter. Thank you for your reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We had some HTML topics (not RoboHelp) that our IT guys were able to produce logs from. Standard web stuff that Willam is referring to.

We then used something that presented those figures in a more useful way. I think it was Deep Log Analyzer but can only confirm that when I am back in the office.

Whether or not it would work with RoboHelp output I am not sure as the address even on an intranet never changes as you go from page to page. I suspect it would not matter and that the logs would detail the actual pages used.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

What format is the help in? Are you delivering a Compiled CHM, WinHelp, WebHelp, FlashHelp or what?

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

WebHelp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp