2 Replies Latest reply: May 31, 2012 12:42 AM by Alexander Grey RSS

PLEASE FIX the Color Swatches Window

Alexander Grey

I am infuriated, crazed, insanely angry, that I cannot resize this window.

SNAG-005.png

This seemed like it was a problem through at least one iteration of Photoshop proper, and thankfully was either finally fixed, or I figured out how to use the interface differently.

You need to be able to make displays of your swatches look like this below for them to be of much use. The Photoshop Elements display above is unacceptable.

SNAG-004.png

You might think that if you chose the larger size squares that the problem would go away? NOPE.

SNAG-007.png

Of all the companies in the world to let something like this pass, Adobe should be at the bottom of the list. Please, please tell me I'm wrong, that I'm an idiot, and that there is a way to make this display properly.

• 1. Re: PLEASE FIX the Color Swatches Window
          R_Kelly Community Member

Yeah i agree that's frustrating to say the least.

You should file a feature request to bring that back to elements:

(that's only in pse 9 and 10 that the panels won't resize)

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics

• 2. Re: PLEASE FIX the Color Swatches Window
            Alexander Grey Community Member

OKAY. So, this is how to solve the problem yourself...

SNAG-010.png

You can add your own swatch squares, rearrange them, and save your own swatch collections. I first chose white for blanks, then thought better of it and went for the same color as the blank space in the window pane. Works nice, huh.

If you'd like, you can download a zipped copy of the ACO file I made here: http://www.xsonn.com/pub/Default_small_ACO.zip.

On Windows 7, PSE10 likes to store presets in this folder:"C:\Users\{USER_NAME}\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\10.0\Presets\Color Swatches\"

But you can open the ACO filfe from anywhere.

NOTE: If you pick Load Swatches..., as illustrated in the menu below, PSE10 will add the new ACO to the existing Color Swatches window. In most cases, you will want to select to Replace Swatches....

SNAG-011.png

If you just have a hankering to build your own, or you want to fix other swatch collections... The overall fix takes place in two steps. One, adding 'blanks' in the main UI. Then, after that you then have to move them around, but ONLY AFTER selecting Preset Manager... above. And then after leaving the preset manager, you can save your collection out. Easy... but not easy.

Don't get me wrong. I am still infuriated, crazed, and insanely angry that I cannot just resize this window. This is really just my own little way of proving it.

Cheers!  =)`