• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why do I get "generic error" message when trying to upload a self-created, 1hr .wmv file?

New Here ,
May 18, 2012 May 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went through the forums and made sure that any blocks or copywrites weren't triggered by the file, it's clean and can be opened using a media player and other video editing software like windows MovieMaker. I keep getting "The importer reported a generic error" message and have no idea how to proceed. Can someone please help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re: Why do I get "generic error" message when trying to upload a self-created, 1hr .wmv  file?

This ARTICLE starts with a checklist on setting up a computer to run PrE best, then goes into a series of links for tuning up one's computer and OS, and then links on troubleshooting.

There is also a link on posting all necessary info, to help others help you.

Without knowing much more about your system, it is impossible to say much beyond that WMV's are tough assests to work with, requiring a lot of CPU horsepower.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say you're uploading a WMV, do you mean you're uploading a video from your computer to a web site? If so, Premiere Elements has nothing to do with that.

Or are you uploading directly from Premiere Elements to a web site? If so, Premiere Elements doesn't use WMVs for the process.

It's not clear what you're asking.

You're not trying to use a WMV in a Premiere Elements project, are you? If so, I'd recommend against that. Depending on where the WMV originated and what settings it was produced at, it won't likely work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the original file im trying to upload into PE10 is a .wmv file so that I can edit and clean up and then save to my Hard Drive for distribution.

My understanding is that Adobe PE10 does not play well with .wmv files, do you think that if I ran a conversion from .wmv to another file type, that would help?

I'm working on a relatively generic machine, lenovo ThinkPad with an intel core i5, windows 7. If that helps at all. My office is hopefully going to upgrade hardware soon, and get a tower PC and/or MAC that will be used solely on video work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The free program Super will convert those WMVs to DV-AVIs, the ideal format for editing in Premiere Elements, if you follow the instructions in this FAQ:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, you are Importing the WMV into a PrE Project.

First, does your Projject Preset, chosen at New Project, match up to the specs. of the WMV? That might get you closer, if there is a mis-match, but as has been said, WMV is a tough format and set of CODEC's to edit.

I have not used Steve's suggested conversion program, but others have, and give it good recs. I use an older shareware conversion program, DigitalMedia Converter 2.7. There are newer versions available, at about US $49. IIRC, Super is freeware.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>upload into PE10

Confusing term... you upload from a computer to the Internet (or download from Internet to a computer)

As Bill said... you are importing into P-Elements

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2012 May 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a very similar problem - upgraded from Premier Elements 8 to version 10 today. The same WMV which imports (from desktop) into version 8 with no problem, doesn't import into version 10 without the 'generic error' message.

I've tried setting the project up to several different configurations but to not luck.

What I should add is the WMV loads perfectly into the 'elements organizer' and can be played from there - just not able to edit it.

Most frustrating as I upgrade to resolve one issue and am presented with a new one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the specific details of that WMV file?

You say that it Imports fine in an earlier version of PrE. Is that on the same computer, or on another one? The reason that I ask is that once MS included the full compliment of WMV CODEC's with the installation of the OS, but as of Vista, they changed it. Then, one had to download and install the MS CODEC pack, from the MS Web site, to get those, so it is very possible that one computer might have the necessary CODEC, while another might not have had those installed.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wright2012, did you see my recommendation above that you should never use WMVs as source video in Premiere Elements projects?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve,

If you have a moment with your "super-powerful" MOD console, could you remove some of the Tags in the first post, so that it will display properly, and that might also help folk, trying to respond to the thread.

With the "new & improved" Adobe Forum skins, an abundance of Tags will either compress the OP to a few characters wide, or not at all.

Thank you,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Done, Bill. And you're right, it does make it easier to read!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve,

Thank you for your help.

Not sure what the underlying issue is, and Adobe-Admin (John C.) is working on it, along with the full Adobe Forum Team, but right now, if one uses X number of Tags (do not know anyone, who puts those to use?), bad things happen to the formatting. Unfortunately, the various MOD's have to go in, on each such post, and clean out those Tags. Maybe soon, we will get a working forum?

In some cases, if the right Tag is clicked on, one CAN see the OP, though not always. When I can find it, I just Copy it, and repost it into the thread for others. In this case, none of those Tags yielded the OP's text to Copy.

Greatly appreciated,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2012 May 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help all - I seem to have solved the issue I was having.

The Microsoft Expression decoder was able to change my dysfunction WMV into a WMV which Premiere accepted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 25, 2012 May 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, someone else posted a link to http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=34 which says Vista, but is supposed to work with many versions of Windows to edit WMV

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the same issue I'm on macOS and when i try to import my own recorded files it just says the importer has reported a generic error please help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This topic is 6 years old!  Too much has changed for you to have the same issue.

If you can, please provide more information about your computer, version of Premiere Elements, OS and where the source videos are coming from.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines