Windows 7 64-bit
Indesign CS5.5 with all updates
- small 20,000 word book (1 single document) with no pictures, from a Word file
- 500 page book (1 single document), with 20 small jpgs (about 2MB total), text generated from scans/OCR, inserted as unformatted text
- various copies, new/moved, new/IDML, etc. generated as tests
- Several (all?) files created since 05/05 (the initial manifestation occurred almost instantly) have become corrupted. It either shows up immediately or takes around 6-8 hours
- Things generally done with a mouse (click and drag to make a text box, resize a text box, copy or move text, placing the cursor to edit) become sluggish (reszing a text box could take 5 seconds to 17 minutes), jerky or sticky (click and drag a handle, release it, the frame edge might move (if and when it does) 0.125" or 6"
- clicking and dragging text sometimes moves the wrong text or releases it in the wrong place
- New text boxes have multiple columns although the columns setting is 1
- Doing some things (e.g. click on export) cause InDesign to freeze
- The suddenness of the problem made me think it could be a virus--tested the Word file (noted above) and my system: found no malware of any sort
- Changed the mouse: touchpad, Wacom Intuos, Logitech trackball (the Wacom tablet works 100% perfectly in Photoshop 32bit, but work only like a mouse in Photoshop 64bit--32/64 bit; drivers are current)
- any attempt to go into InDesign security (as directed by a technician) fail: no permissions (my account has full administrate rights; a new admin account has full administrative rights) so whatever we could have done there, cannot be done
- Exported the file as an InDesign Markup IDML, opened in InDesign
- Moved content of file to new file
- Creating a new file by moving or opening IDML, may not work at all, or will appear to work but the corruption re-occurs in 1-8 hours
- uninstalled and re-installed InDesign
I uploaded a file to technical support. They promised to call back three different time. They did not. When I have called, they say, "24-48 hours they will call back."
Thank you for any help you can give.