11 Replies Latest reply: May 22, 2012 2:05 PM by FlyingSeagullArtist RSS

Can't use 3D features in CS6

FlyingSeagullArtist

Hello,

So today I downloaded Photoshop CS6 Extended edition (64-bit) for Windows. When I tried to use the 3D features, it wouldn't let me, because I didn't have enough VRAM dedicated. So when I went into preferences, I could only set my VRAM up to 503 MB. I would say that I just don't have enough video memory; however, I have 3061 MB. I tried going into my BIOS and adjusting the video card memory allocation settings, except I didn't see any.

Specs:

AMD A8-3500M APU with

AMD Radeon HD 6620G with discrete-class graphics (3061MB total video memory)

6 GB RAM

640 GB Hard Drive

HP w/ Windows 7

Full name:

HP - 15.6" Pavilion Laptop - 6GB Memory - 640GB Hard Drive - Dark Umber

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

• 1. Re: Can't use 3D features in CS6
          Chris Cox Adobe Employee

Take a look at Help->System Info.  I'll bet that the driver is reporting only 503 MB available for the video RAM.

• 2. Re: Can't use 3D features in CS6
            Noel Carboni Community Member

It's possible you might benefit from downloading and installing an updated display driver from AMD.  The version you are running will show in the System Info, which you should post here.

-Noel

• 3. Re: Can't use 3D features in CS6
              FlyingSeagullArtist Community Member

Hey, thanks for the responses guys.

It turns out I have two graphics card:

• AMD Radeon HD 6750M -1 GB Adapter RAM (I'm pretty sure this is for the screen)
              • AMD Radeon HD 6620G - 512MB Adapter Ram (I think this is for everything else)

Obviously this is more than 512MB, so I'm not sure.

(Taken from System Info)

Also, for the driver versions, there both 8.832.0.0. I ran a driver update tool from AMD and it didn't find any driver updates, so I don't think its that either.

• 4. Re: Can't use 3D features in CS6

Does anyone know if it could be a problem with multiple video cards? Or where I could get other 3D functions in a different program?

• 5. Re: Can't use 3D features in CS6
                  SG... Adobe Employee

Hi,

I belive that setup uses AMD CrossFireX™ Technology, which isn't supported in Ps. See if you can turn off CrossFireX in the AMD control panel to make any difference.

In a simpler setup, even 503MB of discrete VRAM should not be disallowing the 3D features.

regards,

steve

• 6. Re: Can't use 3D features in CS6

Disabling the crossfire features fixed it! Thanks SG!

• 7. Re: Can't use 3D features in CS6
                      SG... Adobe Employee

Hi,

Glad that worked. How much available VRAM is reported in the 3D preferences?

I don't have any experience with the CrossFireX control panel, but you may want to see if that can be configured to only be turned off for specific applications, but still used for other cases that can use it (gaming).

regards,

steve

• 8. Re: Can't use 3D features in CS6

Hey, so there's good news and bad news, haha.

To answer your question, it's the same VRAM amount--503 MB.

Now, it appears as though I can create 3D text and objects and such, but I'm unable to access the interactive UI (with the grids). I'm pretty sure this is not a user error; I've followed multiple tutorials and reseted my 3D options. This is with crossfire off; when you mean simpler above, did you mean without the interactive UI? Because it's possible crossfire didn't really help with the interactive UI.

So to clarify (because it probably sounds confusing...):

I can make 3D text in photoshop, but anything that involves getting into the interactive UI mode with the grids won't let me, no matter if its shapes or text.

Update:

After much testing, I found that enabling crossfire or disabling crossfire does not make a difference--I can still use the 3D text function, I just can't use those 3D features that are involved with the interactive UI it seems. It does allow me to use non-interface features under the 3D menu though, like Render. But I think right now there's not much I can do about the interactive features; I'll look for some more info under the control panel of crossfire. If you have any ideas, feel free to say them.

• 9. Re: Can't use 3D features in CS6
                          Chris Cox Adobe Employee

Sounds like you need to contact ATI and ask for some help (or debugging) with their drivers.

• 10. Re: Can't use 3D features in CS6
                            SG... Adobe Employee

Hi,

By simpler, I meant single discrete GPU. Can you paste in the Help> System Info...so I can look at it. We have seen problems with the latest ATI drivers for desktop systems, and that might be contributing to what you're seeing.

I'll also see what I can find out about the AMD A8 chipset too.

regards,

steve

• 11. Re: Can't use 3D features in CS6

Hello,

here's the system info for the graphics:

--------------------------------------------------------

NameAMD Radeon HD 6750M
                              Adapter TypeATI display adapter (0x6741), ATI Technologies Inc. compatible
                              Adapter DescriptionAMD Radeon HD 6750M
                              Adapter RAM1.00 GB (1,073,741,824 bytes)
                              Installed Driversaticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx32,aticfx32,aticfx32,atiumd64.dll,atidxx64.dl l,atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atidxx32,atidxx32,atiumdva,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll
                              Driver Version8.832.0.0
                              Color PlanesNot Available
                              Color Table Entries4294967296
                              Resolution1366 x 768 x 60 hertz
                              Bits/Pixel32
                              Memory Address0xE0000000-0xEFFFFFFF
                              Memory Address0xF03E0000-0xF03FFFFF
                              I/O Port0x00003F00-0x00003FF

NameAMD Radeon(TM) HD 6620G
                              Adapter TypeATI display adapter (0x9641), ATI Technologies Inc. compatible
                              Adapter DescriptionAMD Radeon(TM) HD 6620G
                              Adapter RAM512.00 MB (536,870,912 bytes)
                              Installed Driversaticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx32,aticfx32,aticfx32,atiumd64.dll,atidxx64.dl l,atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atidxx32,atidxx32,atiumdva,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll
                              Driver Version8.832.0.0
                              Color PlanesNot Available
                              Color Table EntriesNot Available
                              ResolutionNot Available
                              Bits/PixelNot Available
                              Memory Address0xD0000000-0xDFFFFFFF
                              I/O Port0x00004000-0x000040FF
                              Memory Address0xF0400000-0xF043FFFF
                              I/O Port0x000003B0-0x000003BB
                              I/O Port0x000003C0-0x000003DF
                              Memory Address0xA0000-0xBFFFF