1 2 3 4 Previous Next 140 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2015 8:48 AM by stephenhart@mac.com

Slow typing in DW CS6 / OSX?

Ldude32 Level 1

Is anybody experiencing really slow typing in DW CS6 on a Mac?

Regardless of what I type, the code only apears at a rate of 3 characters per second!  Does anybody know what may be causing this?  Is it an incompatability, a bug, or some rendering issue???

I'm running this on an old MacPro1,1 / NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256 MB with 8GB Ram, SSD drives OSX Lion 10.7.3.

This slow behaviour is not noticed on other CS6 apps...

The purchased product was an upgrade - downloaded from Adobe:

Adobe Creative Suite 6 Design & Web Premium (Mac,English)

Looking forward to a resolution, as it's pretty terrible.

Luis.

• 1. Re: Slow typing in DW CS6 / OSX?
          Ben M Adobe Community Professional

Is it with all files Luis or just particular files.  If it's with something particular I'd be more than willing to look at the file trying to replicate your actions.  I have a MBP 2.8ghz C2D with 8GB ram & GeForceM 9600GT 512MB and 7200RPM drive. 

Also file a bug report so the team can look into it:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Slow typing in DW CS6 / OSX?
            Ldude32 Level 1

Hi SnakEyez02,

It appears to be all files - in code view or split view - even a blank file.

I have a few other Macs around - I'll check to see if they exhibit the problem, in which case I'll  report back here and submit a bug report.

Thanks,

Luis.

• 3. Re: Slow typing in DW CS6 / OSX?
              Concept211 Level 1

I'm experiencing the same issue on my Windows 7 machine.  It appears that CS6 is eating away at 100% of one of my CPU cores and is performing extremely slow.  Still can't determine what's causing it.  I have no choice but to go back to CS5.5 for now.

• 4. Re: Slow typing in DW CS6 / OSX?
                Ldude32 Level 1

hi concept211 - actually, now you mention it - the CPU usage for DW jumps from idle up to 50% (sometimes 70%) whenever I type anything. 

Even if I type a bunch of zeros. (50% cpu usage).  pause for a while (drops to 2%), type another couple of zeros (junps to 50% again).

Pasting in a chunk of text only jumps to 20%.

Both of these are in Code view.

It's as if the predictive code typing is overburdoning the app.

Just did this test with DW CS5.5 and the CPU doesn't go over 5%...

Will test on my other machines to see if I can replicate the issue - just trying to get some work done at the moment.

• 5. Re: Slow typing in DW CS6 / OSX?
                  Concept211 Level 1

Yeah, there's something seriously wrong. I hope Adobe is paying attention and will provide a fix (or at least a workaround until the fix) ASAP.  It's simply unusable at the moment

• 6. Re: Slow typing in DW CS6 / OSX?
                    Jon Michael Varese Level 1

Hi folks . . . I'm alerting the Dreamweaver team about this issue right now. Cheers, Jon

• 7. Re: Slow typing in DW CS6 / OSX?
                      ArunKaza Adobe Employee

Hi Everyone,

Are you running Dreamweaver CS6 Trial version or a licensed version?

Can you check if there are no other apps running in the tray(i.e. close any mail client, browsers anti-virus apps etc) when running Dreamweaver? After a re-start of the system if you just happen to run DWCS6, do you still see typing being slow?

Thanks,
                      Arun

• 8. Re: Slow typing in DW CS6 / OSX?
                        shdskj_gfd Level 1

Hi,

I'm using Trial version of Dreamweaver CS6. Didn't had that issue with CS5.5.

Once I open any Preference in Dreamweaver, CPU goes back to zero.

I had the issue before with CS5 and CS5.5. Before it was fixed by disabling "Related Files". Now even this do not work!

Please advise,

Thanks!

• 9. Re: Slow typing in DW CS6 / OSX?
                          ArunKaza Adobe Employee

Are you having any DW extensions installed on your machine?

Did you open a new blank html page from inside any site defined in DW. Just wanted to make sure you dont have any heavy sites defined which might cause the problem.

It would also be good if you can send us a Screen capture/video showing this behavior on your machine.

You can choose to reply back to me directly at arunk@adobe.com

Thanks,
                          Arun

• 10. Re: Slow typing in DW CS6 / OSX?
                            shdskj_gfd Level 1

Hello,

I disabled RELATED FILES and now it works OK. Intresting, before I had the issue, but now it's fixed.

• 11. Re: Slow typing in DW CS6 / OSX?
                              ArunKaza Adobe Employee

Great to know this, Thanks!

Can others also who is facing similar issue try it out. Does disabling of Related Files option in Preferences dialog solving the slow typing issue?

-Arun

• 12. Re: Slow typing in DW CS6 / OSX?
                                Ldude32 Level 1

Hi again,

(purchased version)

MacPro 1,1 : 2.66GHz 4 core (the original problematic machine)

I've just upgraded to OS X 10.7.4, and it appears to be much better (possibly a combination of the reboot!).

The typing is now only slightly slow - not too bad at my typing speed, but it could annoy faster typers.  Still - it's much faster than 3 characters per second.

The CPU usage, however still remains.

Within the body tag of a new html file, if I type any text the CPU usage for the Dreamweaver process leaps from 1.5% to 58%.

Again, this drops down the second I stop typing, and goes back up when I resume.

I have no DW CS6 extensions enabled on this machine.

NOTE: When I returned to DW6 to disable the RELATED FILES option, it had gotten really slow again (so it slowed down after some time passed).

Disabling the Related Files Option seemed to fix that slowness, but then that required a re-launch which could have masked the elapsed time bug (possibly a memory leak?).

HOWEVER, the CPU usage remains very high whilst typing, regardless of perceived slowness, or status of RELATED FILES option.

--

On a slower, but newer MacPro 4,1 : 2.26GHz 8 core ; running 10.6.8 with same SSD & RAM, the fresh installation runs quickly (without post-install reboot) and the CPU only goes to 20% whilst typing in the same situation.

I have no DW CS6 extensions installed on this machine.

--

I have an old MacBook Pro 2,2, also on SSD with 2GB RAM currently on 10.7.3  I'll do some tests on it when I get a moment, but this may have to wait until next week.

• 13. Re: Slow typing in DW CS6 / OSX?
                                  ArunKaza Adobe Employee

Can you share access to your site/server credentials using which we can also open the same test files and see the issue reproducing at our end?

You can directly send it over an email only to me at arunk@adobe.com

Please note that all your data will be fully protected, and be