• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can you set a product list to be ordered by 'weightreverse' intsead of 'Weight'?

New Here ,
May 15, 2012 May 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cant seem to get this work with my products?

I have in the weighting field reverse dates so 20120405, and want them ordered by this date (the oldest date first).

Is this possible to order in reverse?

Cheers

Malcolm

TOPICS
eCommerce

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 15, 2012 May 15, 2012

Hi Malcom,

Unfortunately we do not have a "weightreverse" parameter for the product module at this stage. 

KB reference: http://kb.worldsecuresystems.com/134/bc_1345.html#main_Product_Modules

You'll need to adjust your weight for the older product items with a higher wieght value then the new products in this case.

Kind regards,

-Sidney

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
May 15, 2012 May 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Malcom,

Unfortunately we do not have a "weightreverse" parameter for the product module at this stage. 

KB reference: http://kb.worldsecuresystems.com/134/bc_1345.html#main_Product_Modules

You'll need to adjust your weight for the older product items with a higher wieght value then the new products in this case.

Kind regards,

-Sidney

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2012 May 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Sidney,

Thats great, just a shame as this is available on web apps i think.

What I'll probably do to keep it intuitive for the customer is to do them

in normal date order using the product weight field and then use something

like http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6219152/jquery-reverse-an-order

to reverse them (so keeping it simple for customer)

cheers

Malcolm

www.urbanelement.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 21, 2012 May 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

maldc, with the absence of weightreverse, I too have used reverse dates like your example (20120405) to intentionally create a product list in 'reverse chronological', displaying the most recent at the top.

It seems like you want to display the oldest at the top, but are working in the confines of the reverse date.

Without javascript, I employ an extra step when entering the data myself, however, someone proficient in javascript may know how to apply this automatically. (Please add something here javascript aficionados?)

I simply use a calculator to invert the reverse date. For all instances, subtract your reverse date (an 8 digit number) from a fixed 9 digit number, and you will achieve an inverse of that number, which can in turn achieve the reversing effect within a group of numbers.

For example:

Older date/lower number: 100,000,000 minus 20120405 = 79879595 (higher number as outcome)

New date/higher number: 100,000,000 minus 20120406  = 79879594 (lower number as outcome).

This calculation creates a lower weight value for more recent dates/newer product entries. Thus, your older products entries will show up in the top of the list.

Does that make sense to you? I hope it can help. It does need further work if there are multiple releases on the same date; in which case, using a larger number will help, such as adding hours, minutes and seconds to your reverse date number, eg. 20120504230053

If using a spreadsheet to enter product data, perhaps the calculation can be incorporated there.

cheers

Darryl

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2012 May 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply, my small maths brain is definitely starting to hurt

after that

I think that may be too complex for my client to impliment as they are

doing the data entry and I have just about got them to do the extra step by

adding the date to the weighting field so that may be a step too far for

them. Its a great idea though and will certainly use it on other projects

Thanks again

Malcolm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know what you mean, my clients are pretty unhappy having to do any extra steps like that. It's doubly astounding to them (and me) that one area of BC has weightreverse, and not other areas. The wishlist has this logged, though the list doesn't seem to get much attention anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 30, 2013 Mar 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

any progress on this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 30, 2013 Mar 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dont expect to see this any time soon, you need to work around not having this feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 01, 2013 Apr 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Liam,

Thanks for the input. While I understand there there are other priorities it would be nice to know that this feature request, and numerous others like it, are logged somewhere when BC does have the time. Once upon a time there was a wish list. Is  there something like the wish list now? If not, perhaps a BC partner could put one together so when BC does come back up for breath on all their infrastucture work they's have a list. Perhaps they have this internally but it would be nice as a partner to know what they actually plan to do 'some day'.

Thanks, Todd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 10, 2013 Jul 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is certainly someting BC should resolve. The order of products needs more options, and should be a simple function for clients to implement and manage without any coding.

I found that the jquery option works to a point. Use this example: http://archive.plugins.jquery.com/project/reverseorder

The problem with it is that if your product list runs onto two pages (product list) the order gets confusing.

A normal page without the reverseOrder jquery would show items A to G on page one and would show items H to Q on page two.

With the reverseOrder jquery you get  items G to A on page one and items Q to H on page two. Rather than the desired Q to A in order across both pages.

It's simply that the reverseOrder is done client-side after the server-side pages are created. Therefore, it's something BC needs to address as they won't allow us any server-side scripts of our own.

The inverse date for weighting is an option, and I use it too, but in the scheme of things seems like a poor feature to sell BC on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

p.s.you can also do the calculation easily using 9's instead of the 100,000,000 in my example. eg. Using 999999999 , and it enables easier mental arithmetic as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines