• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I fix an axis on a moving object?

Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2012 May 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey folks,

Imagine I have a thin layer that is swinging from its top edge. Like a slat of a blind hanging down and swinging.

How could I attach a 2nd layer to the bottom edge? I guess a realistic physics model is impossible with all the momentum and stuff, but can it be done on some level?

I saw some clip where someone had done this with a few slats attached vertically. I had assumed it was AE but maybe not?

Cheers

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 22, 2012 May 22, 2012

Look up parenting in the help. It will blow your mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look up parenting in the help. It will blow your mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I use parenting all the time. I'm not sure how it could help with my situation though. The 2nd slat need to move independently of the first but as if it were connected with a hinge. Does that make sense?

Imagine 3 sheets of cardboard taped together on the edges and hanging down. Oh I can't think how to discribe it. Like that kids toy, a Jacob's Ladder I think it's called.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, this is what I'm trying to say. top slat is swinging with an axis on its top edge. Middle slat is swinging at a different rate with its axis attached to the top slat. And so on.

Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot to mention that you would (of course) have to move the anchor point for the layer up to the edge you plan to attach.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still parenting, but you'd need to use an expression on the rotation to get it to swing the way you want with decay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh my god. Of course. Sorry, being really dense there. I didn't think for a moment the 2nd slat would 'stick' to the correct edge. but it follows the plane that the first is on of course.

I really did think something clever was going on there.

Thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines