10 Replies Latest reply: May 23, 2012 7:18 PM by RJZWestlake RSS

PS CS6 Processing of Canon Camcorder AVCHD Files

RJZWestlake

Trying to process MTS outputs from my Canon Camcorder. Files run in WMV and Windows Live Movie Maker (needs to wait while the files are uncompressed). WHen opened if PS CS6 files is present. When playing, frame rates drop to as slow as 3 fps. I have a quad processor and as I have indicated, the files play at normal speed. Have tried saving but have seen that the saved file is also dropping frames.

• 1. Re: PS CS6 Processing of Canon Camcorder AVCHD Files
          Jeff A Wright Employee Hosts

Moving this discussion to the Photoshop General Discussion forum.

• 2. Re: PS CS6 Processing of Canon Camcorder AVCHD Files
            RJZWestlake Community Member

Hammered some of the English. Am using a Canon Vixia HF R11 that is producing HD AVCHD which I believe translates to MTS. When I have photoshop open the movie and try to run it, I am hearing the sound, but the playback as indicated by the framerate gets as slow as 3 FPS when it was recorded at 29. Frame rate obviously improves when I slow the speed down, but of course no sound. Windows Media plays just fine so the file is good. Have noticed with WIndows Live Movie Maker, it takes a bit of time while it is doing something to the movie which I am assuming is uncompressing it so that it can be edited. Have not seen anything in PS6 that indicates that it is doing something similar. I am running on a Quad processor and have set the 4 GB of RAM to 70% for PS. File is approximately a couple of minutes long so it is not a huge file. Did try and save the movie to see if that would put it into a format more compatible with PS6 editing, but when I tried to plan the file with Windows Media, what was saved was showing that frames were being dropped in the SAVE process as well. Have also tried using a video converter and converting MTS to WMV and AVI. Again the saved edition is loosing frames. Not sure if there is some option I need to set or whether I am missing some point as to how the Movie option is supposed to be working.

• 3. Re: PS CS6 Processing of Canon Camcorder AVCHD Files

Jeff:

Thanks. Not sure if there is a setup option. My problem in a nutshell is that my frame rate is way slower than the recorded rate.

• 4. Re: PS CS6 Processing of Canon Camcorder AVCHD Files
                Jeff A Wright Employee Hosts

RJZWestlake I simply moved your post from the installation forum to the Photoshop forum.  The users in this forum should be able to answer your inquiries.

• 5. Re: PS CS6 Processing of Canon Camcorder AVCHD Files
                  Noel Carboni Community Member

Do you have a 64 bit system, and if so can you add more RAM?  Video editing in Photoshop on a 32 bit system with a maximum of about 2 GB of RAM available for Photoshop seems, well, not a good match.

I know very little about photo editing, but I do know Photoshop can barely breathe in a 4 GB system even on just still photos.

-Noel

• 6. Re: PS CS6 Processing of Canon Camcorder AVCHD Files

Noel. Thanks for your feedback. Running Windows 7 64 Bit Photoshop. But only have 4 GB of memory. Going to 8 GB is probably the logical next step.

• 7. Re: PS CS6 Processing of Canon Camcorder AVCHD Files
                      Noel Carboni Community Member

Memory's relatively inexpensive nowadays.  8 GB may seem like a lot, but more is better.

Also, if your system can use it, consider ECC RAM because it will correct or catch errors that could otherwise result in data corruption.

-Noel

• 8. Re: PS CS6 Processing of Canon Camcorder AVCHD Files

Noel:

Again Thank you for your feedback. Had not checked my internal memory and thought it was 8 but it was 4. So I will be upgrading per your recommendation.

• 9. Re: PS CS6 Processing of Canon Camcorder AVCHD Files
                          Trevor.Dennis CommunityMVP

Jeff

I had to build a new system to run Premiere Pro CS5 with 1080p H.264 files from a Canon DSLR, and they are similar in that they are highly compressed, which means a lot of work for the processor. You are running Windows, so bring up the Task Manager and monitor CPU and memory usage while CS6 tries to play your video. I am betting one or both will be maxed out. There is a difference between playing the file in Media Player and Photoshop, because the former does not need to decompress the file on the fly. Photoshop does.

In order to satisfactorily view my DSLR footage on the timeline, I built a system with an 17 3930K six core running at 4Ghz with 32Gb RAM and a GTX570.  When I first tried this system it still wasn’t coping because the drives were not fast enough, and I had to create a couple of raid0 arrays.  I am now able to smoothly scrub through anything I care to throw at Premiere Pro. I have not tried video with Photoshop CS6, but I would imagine the same constraints would apply.  What we need in this thread is for people with mid spec’d systems who have tried CS6 with 1080p H.264 or AVCHD, to say how their systems faired. 

If Photoshop CS6 does have the same sort of system requirements as Premiere Pro, then you’ll find all the info you need over on the Premiere Pro hardware forum, But Bill Gehrke spends time here, and will likely have something to say.

• 10. Re: PS CS6 Processing of Canon Camcorder AVCHD Files

Dennis:

Thank you for taking the time out to respond.