• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

cp 5.5 captures w/remote desktop

New Here ,
May 22, 2012 May 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

has anyone been successful in generating useable caption/failure caption text when using cp 5.5 and capturing over a remote desktop connection?

I have read all the posts i can find and still not sure if the final answer is 'no can do', as far as getting specific, accurate text captions when doing automatic captures in demonstration, training or assessment modes. All i can seem to get is a generic text caption that i then have to manually update to reflect hte actual action. Also can't seem to get the Print Screen button on my keyboard to generate a manual screen capture when in automatic capture mode over the remote desktop. The amount of time/work involved in updating every slide's text caption (for demonstrations) and every click box's failure caption (in training and assessment mode) is prohibitive. anyone have a different experience in remote desktop situation, and if so, can you share how you were able to get around this? thank you.

TOPICS
Recording

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.  I think that's three different threads you've started on this same topic in the past hour or less.  Perhaps you're imagining that your chances of getting an answer to this will increase if you have more threads, but I assure you the opposite is more likely.  Double-posting (or in your case triple-posting) is only going to annoy people.

For the record, Captivate is designed to capture screens best on the computer on which it is installed.  Capturing remote desktops will always be problematic and manual captures are required more often because Captivate cannot 'hear' all the screen events required to trigger captures. 

There's little you can do about the default text added into the captions other than editing the RDC file inside the Captivate install directory.  But that's usually not worth it.  I prefer to turn off the automatic captions and add my own afterward because Captivate always adds far more than I need and the default text always needs chaning.  It is what it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the information, and I apologize for the triple posts; I

am old in age and new to posting and wasn’t sure my posts were going

anywhere.

So now I know they were and will not make the same mistake again.

Jeanne M. Fine

Education Solutions

McKesson Provider Technologies

Message was edited by: Captiv8r - Removed personal information

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's OK.  No penalties for a first offense...

There are several of us that watch every single thread that gets posted on this forum.  If you put up a question, you'll usually get an answer within the hour 24/7 because we all live in different parts of the world.  One thread is all you need.

Having said that...there's no guarantee that you're going to love the answer.  There are some things about the reality of creating e-learning with current technologies that we cannot do much about.  Your issue is just one of those things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I've deleted the other two posts.

Jeanne, you may want to read the threads below, as they are intended to help new folks.

Forum Guidelines

Frequently Encountered Issues

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks Rick. do you concur with RodWard above that the issues i am encountering when trying to use Captivate to record in a remote desktop environment are just 'the way it is' and not likely to be addressed in any way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there

Absolutely I would concur. As Rod said, when you are recording via Remote Desktop, Captivate can't understand the events that trigger things such as clicking on menus and the like.

I suppose if I were to try and offer an analogy, it would be this. Imagine the guys in the space shuttle. They use remote control and a TV screen to control the huge mechanical arm that is used to reach out and grab parts of a satellite. They are unable to actually hear the contact of the arm with the device because they simply aren't there next to it.

I'm not sure if that analogy is valid, but hopefully you get the drift. I tried.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources