13 Replies Latest reply: May 25, 2012 2:11 PM by David Johnson99 RSS

How to Fix Encore "No Disk Error"?

David Johnson99

When trying to start Encore CS5.0 I get an "Encore.exe - No Disk" error box.  The box says "There is no disk in the drive.  Please insert a disk into drive\Device\Harddisk8\DR8".  There are 3 buttons: "cancel", "try again", and "continue", none of these get rid of the error box and I can't open Encore.

I've reinstalled Encore, no effect.

I disabled a device in location 8 and the error box message changed to "There is no disk in the drive.  Please insert a disk into drive\Device\Harddisk4\DR4."  I re-enabled the device and the error box reverted to the original "...\DR8." 

Appreciate any help on how to fix this.  Thanks.

--Dave

• 1. Re: How to Fix Encore "No Disk Error"?
          John T Smith CommunityMVP

Encore "No Drive" Error http://forums.adobe.com/thread/569230 may help

Also... Things and Software to AVOID when authoring/burning a DVD

Start --> http://forums.adobe.com/thread/608660

#2 has WHY Explained http://forums.adobe.com/thread/607390

Plus http://forums.adobe.com/thread/562941

Create an ISO (Encore) or folder on your hard drive (Encore or Premiere Elements) and then use the FREE http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download to write files or folders or ISO to disc for DVD or BluRay (send the author a PayPal donation if you like his program)

Imgburn will read the ACTUAL disc brand from the disc, which is not always the same as the box label (Memorex is notorious for buying "anything" and putting it inside a Memorex box)

When you write to disc with Imgburn, use the SLOWEST possible speed setting, so your burner has the best chance to create "good, well formed" laser burn holes... since no DVD player is required to read a burned disc, having a "good" one from a high quality blank will help

• 2. Re: How to Fix Encore "No Disk Error"?
            Stan Jones CommunityMVP

When trying to start Encore CS5.0 I get an "Encore.exe - No Disk" error box.

So you cannot open Encore at all?

• 3. Re: How to Fix Encore "No Disk Error"?
              David Johnson99 Community Member

No.  Encore opens, but before completing opening the "New", "Open", "Other" selection box for Encore displays.  When I select any of these, I immediately get the error notification.

• 4. Re: How to Fix Encore "No Disk Error"?

John,

Thanks for the quick response.  Does creating the ISO help for the future or will that allow Encore to recognize the DVD recorder?  Can I create this ISO (I'm not totally familiar with what an ISO is) without opening Encore?  Right now, my Encore will not open (that's when I get the "No Disk" error message that won't let anything continue).  Can I create an ISO using Premiere?

Is there any way I can change my DVD recorder to show that it is not a HDD (thru Windows perhaps)?  If so, that might let me open Encore and I can create the ISO.

--Dave

• 5. Re: How to Fix Encore "No Disk Error"?
                  Stan Jones CommunityMVP

Encore opens, but before completing opening the "New", "Open", "Other" selection box for Encore displays.  When I select any of these, I immediately get the error notification.

Select new project, set for DVD; make sure there is no disk in the burner, add name. Then is this where the error occurs?

• 6. Re: How to Fix Encore "No Disk Error"?
                    Stan Jones CommunityMVP

You can't do the iso options until you get into some kind of project.

Is there any way I can change my DVD recorder to show that it is not a HDD (thru Windows perhaps)?  If so, that might let me open Encore and I can create the ISO.

As Johns links indicate, it is more often another program that captures the drive rather than the drive itself. But to pursue this option, I'd phsically disconnect the drive.

• 7. Re: How to Fix Encore "No Disk Error"?

Stan,

As soon as I select new project the error box appears and it's not possible to get past that.  So I never really get into Encore, can't set DVD, etc.

Thanks.

--Dave

• 8. Re: How to Fix Encore "No Disk Error"?
                        Stan Jones CommunityMVP

I think there's an option in here for resetting preferences.

Troubleshoot damaged projects in Encore on Windows

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/406/kb406006.html

• 9. Re: How to Fix Encore "No Disk Error"?

Stan, John, I wanted to say thanks for your help and the "no disk" problem is fixed.

Here's the solution:

- I was able to get into Encore by opening an old project which didn't involve an ISO file

- Once in Encore, I opened an old project which had an ISO file located on a HD I didn't have any more (due to HD auto name change from J: to K:  Note, I hadn't been able to change back to J: designator because the missing ISO file was unresolved so J: remained "in use" and unavailable)

- In the old project I changed the ISO file location from the missing J: drive to my C: drive using the Build menu

The "no disk" error went away, Encore is now working normally.

Hopefully this can help someone else.  Again, thanks.

--Dave

• 10. Re: How to Fix Encore "No Disk Error"?
                            John T Smith CommunityMVP

>HD auto name change from J: to K

That sounds like you are using USB hard drives... is that true?

If so, there is a way in Windows Control Panel to "lock" a drive letter for a USB drive (no, I don't know the exact steps since I have 3 internal drives) but this process MAY require you to always plug the USB cable into exactly the same USB port on the computer

For Microsoft help, search http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US

• 11. Re: How to Fix Encore "No Disk Error"?
                              the_wine_snob CommunityMVP

but this process MAY require you to always plug the USB cable into exactly the same USB port on the computer

That could be the situation. Had not thought about various USB ports on a computer.

I use FW-800 externals, and with those, it makes no difference which FW-800 port I use (have 2 on the laptop and 8 on the workstation), but USB is different. Maybe I'll check this one out. I have some USB-only externals, but seldom use them. If the USB drive letter IS port-specific, I will report, and also add that to my Using External HDD's article.

I have each external set to the same drive letter, in the OS of each of my computers, so that Z:\ is always seen as Z:\ on each of my computers.

Good one John T., you got me thinking here,

Hunt

• 12. Re: How to Fix Encore "No Disk Error"?

John,

Thanks for the info.  You're correct that the key to my problem was that I assigned the ISO file to a USB drive and then couldn't get back to that drive letter.  I am using a USB HD to store my data so I can share it with a laptop when I'm on a trip (plus another USB HD for BU).  However, I put the new ISO file on my C: drive, so it should remain "locked" as C:

I think I caused the J: to K: name change by inadvertently interrupting a BU action (I thought the BU was complete and it may not have been).  At any rate, the drive changed from J: to K: and the Windows drive letter selection would not allow me the option to reselect J: (it was grayed out with the other in-use HDs).  I notice that J: is still not available as a drive letter option even though it is not being used.

Thanks.

--Dave

• 13. Re: How to Fix Encore "No Disk Error"?

Bill,

Thanks for the input.  I responded to John and should have info'd you as well.  Here's what I sent to John:

John,

Thanks for the info.  You're correct that the key to my problem was that I assigned the ISO file to a USB drive and then couldn't get back to that drive letter.  I am using a USB HD to store my data so I can share it with a laptop when I'm on a trip (plus another USB HD for BU).  However, I put the new ISO file on my C: drive, so it should remain "locked" as C:

I think I caused the J: to K: name change by inadvertently interrupting a BU action (I thought the BU was complete and it may not have been).  At any rate, the drive changed from J: to K: and the Windows drive letter selection would not allow me the option to reselect J: (it was grayed out with the other in-use HDs).  I notice that J: is still not available as a drive letter option even though it is not being used.

Thanks.

--Dave