7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 31, 2014 7:23 PM by areohbee RSS

LR3 How do I load saved Tone Curve (XMP file)?

volunteer No.1 Community Member

I created a custom Tone Curve in LR3.6 on Win7 64-bit as an XMP file, changing the default location to another folder. I right click on the Custom <> icon and can see the Save feature and some preset curves, but not the Tone Curve I saved that I called "Backlit Tone Curve.xmp." Do I have to move it to a special folder in the presets directory? I restarted LR and it still did not show up anywhere. I'd consider myself computer savvy but am not sure what I'm supposed to do here. Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: LR3 How do I load saved Tone Curve (XMP file)?
          ssprengel MVP

I am confused.  The way I would set a custom tone-curve preset is to go to the Tone Curve section of the righthand panel, do my adjustments, go over to the lefthand panel and click the + next to Presets, click Check None, put a checkmark in the Tone Curve checkbox (2/3rds down on the left column) then type in a Preset Name and possibly choose a different folder to store the preset in, and Create it.

What are you doing?  It sounds totally different than the above.  I’d start by explaining how you created a custom tone curve, what was your starting point, and how did you customize it.

• 2. Re: LR3 How do I load saved Tone Curve (XMP file)?
            Jim Wilde Community Member

volunteer No.1 wrote:

....changing the default location to another folder.

I would think that you should have saved them into the default location, rather than another folder. Try moving them back to the default place (on Win7 that would be c:\users\yourusername\appdata\roaming\adobe\cameraraw\curves). I've saved custom curves in the past, and they are available when I click on the up/down arrows.

@ssprengel, when using the point curve, as soon as you make an adjustment the Point Curve box changes from Linear to Custom, clicking on the up/down arrows gives you the option to save it in the aforementioned folder for easy future use. No need to create a dedicated preset.

• 3. Re: LR3 How do I load saved Tone Curve (XMP file)?

@ssprengel - I am a novice user of LR and didn't use Presets in the manner you prescribed. So that was helpful, and I can do that as a workaround!

@jim01404 - You are close! I loaded the preset directory via Edit|Preferences|Presets tab|"Show Lightroom Presets Folder" button (which is as you pointed out) and I did not have a Curves directory. So I created one, put in my XMP file and restarted LR, but the Tone Curve adjustment box, which I switched to manual point mode, does not show my adjustment in the up/down arrow context menu (I'm wondering what name it would pick as at Save time I only chose a file name, not a special "label" or something that would indicate displayable text as opposed to the file name). When I make a new point curve adjustment and go to Save... it shows my previous file location though, which happens to be "F:\Documents\My Pictures\Lightroom" and LR is installed on C.

Also, you inspired me to open the XMP file in Notepad, and then Wordpad (which displayed things better presumably due to support for Linux line endings), and the curve name was "Custom" (what a coincidence). Unfortunately, this still did not show up after I selected one of the default options like "Linear." I also tried renaming the curve inside the file. Here is my XMP file after changing the "name" to "Thanks" in hopes to make it obvious in the LR interface:

<x:xmpmeta xmlns:x="adobe:ns:meta/" x:xmptk="Adobe XMP Core 5.3-c007 1.136881, 2010/06/10-18:11:35        ">

<rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#">

<rdf:Description rdf:about=""

xmlns:crs="http://ns.adobe.com/camera-raw-settings/1.0/"

crs:Version="6.6"

crs:ToneCurveName="Thanks"

crs:HasSettings="True">

<crs:ToneCurve>

<rdf:Seq>

<rdf:li>0, 0</rdf:li>

<rdf:li>39, 68</rdf:li>

<rdf:li>64, 92</rdf:li>

<rdf:li>75, 98</rdf:li>

<rdf:li>103, 117</rdf:li>

<rdf:li>133, 136</rdf:li>

<rdf:li>161, 161</rdf:li>

<rdf:li>199, 199</rdf:li>

<rdf:li>255, 255</rdf:li>

</rdf:Seq>

</crs:ToneCurve>

</rdf:Description>

</rdf:RDF>

</x:xmpmeta>

... and thank you both for the help thus far!

• 4. Re: LR3 How do I load saved Tone Curve (XMP file)?
                Jim Wilde Community Member

I still thing you're putting the file in the wrong place. When you use the "Show Lightroom Presets Folder" then what you get is, well, the Adobe\Lightroom folder. But the Curves sub-folder should be actually under the Adobe\CameraRaw folder.....

• 5. Re: LR3 How do I load saved Tone Curve (XMP file)?

@jim01403 You are sharp. You did type the right path the 1st time and I overlooked it. I'm cooking with gas now, and got it working! Thank you so much!

• 6. Re: LR3 How do I load saved Tone Curve (XMP file)?
                    barcaro1031 Community Member

i loaded them into the camera raw directory but how do i use the preset. i cant find it in lightroom?

• 7. Re: LR3 How do I load saved Tone Curve (XMP file)?
                      areohbee Community Member

Tone Curve (section in develop module) -> Point Curve (drop-down menu).

PS - They should be in (the correct) CameraRaw/Curves directory.