11 Replies Latest reply: Feb 4, 2015 6:47 AM by Carl Matthews RSS

Problems printing

CoGordo4 Community Member

I am trying to print a file that I made in Indesign cs5. However whenever I try to print the file on my companies digital press (xerox 700 digital press, using creo rip software) I get a bar of darker color on a portion of the gradient. The bar cuts through several objects that have the same gradient fill however not in the same locations. The darker bar only apears in the print and isn't visisble on screen regardless of view mode. I attempted to export it to a pdf and print it from acrobat x but the same situation occurs. Once again the bar is not visible in the pdf either. I am using a mac running mac os 10.6.8. Does any one have any advice on how to solve this problem?

• 1. Re: Problems printing
          Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

What happens if you export a PDF/X-4 file and try printing that from Acrobat? See if that yields the same problem and report back please.

- Dov

• 2. Re: Problems printing
            Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

Can you possibly post some screen shots with frame edges showing?

Use the camera icon on the web page to embed them in a post like this:

CameraIcon.png

and a shot of the printed page would help too.

Is there any transparency interaction in the area?

• 3. Re: Problems printing

Screen shot 2012-05-23 at 4.40.19 PM.pngHere is a screen shot of the file exported as a pdf/x-4. The line doesn't show on the screen but does show in the print. It occurs on the gradient bars just to the left of the made in America sign. In addition as you can see from the image my black images are showing as slightly transparent. I checked the effect menu and they should all be at full opacity.

• 4. Re: Problems printing
                Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

Are the black ojects in front of or behind the stripes?

Does this possibly apply: InDesignSecrets » Blog Archive » Eliminating YDB (Yucky Discolored Box) Syndrome

• 5. Re: Problems printing
                  Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

You are saying that this occurs when you print the PDF/X-4 file from Acrobat, is that correct? Does the same problem occur if you print to something less exotic, let's say a smaller PostScript printer?

Is it possible for you to post the PDF/X-4 file for us to examine?

- Dov

• 6. Re: Problems printing

no the black objects are in front of the strips and are at full opacity.

• 7. Re: Problems printing

I could post the file if you think it would help. How would I do that on the forum or would i need to just email you directly?

I have also tried printing directly from indesign where I originaly created the image and had the same situation.

• 8. Re: Problems printing
                        Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

I'd like to see the file, and I suspect Dov would, too.

You can't attach anything here, but you can post a link, which will be sharing with the world, or use the Private Message system to send a link privately to anyone (Click a user's name to go to their profile and Private messages are inthe actions list). If you don't have a server, you can use a service like YouSendIt.com to send the file to yourself, then use that link.

• 9. Re: Problems printing

I played with the flatterner setting like the article Eliminating YDB Peter suggested with no luck. My black objects still are semi-transparent (you can see the stripes behind them) and there is a mystery line in just one of the gradients. This is really getting frustrating. My client in starting to get angry I have no idea, besides completely re-designing the sign, how to fix this problem. I dont have a server and havent used you send it before. I do have drop box. Is there a way of sending you links from that? Also does any one know of some good pre press resources( be they books, websites, whatever)? I am a graphic designer for a small digital printer and unfortunitly the owner knows alot about the machine but not much about the rip software or how to incorporate the creative suite. I could really use some good info. Thanks

• 10. Re: Problems printing
                            Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

You can use dropbox. Post the link here to share with the world, or put it in a private message to be selective.

• 11. Re: Problems printing
                              Carl Matthews Community Member

Holy thread revival, Batman!
                              Did anyone ever get to the bottom of this?
                              We've just acquired a Xerox 700 with Creo RIP and have got exactly the same issue with a gradient from an Indesign document.
                              It looks like a dirty cyan/black band running across the gradient (36% tint of C-0 M-18 Y-90 K-0 going down to 7% tint of the same).
                              It's the same whether run from imposed PDFs or run direct from the document, I have run the tint on its own to make sure nothing else was causing the problem.