• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Has "Drawing multiple frames in a grid" changed in InDesign CS6?

Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2012 May 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I was working in InDesign CS6 and using the familiar function to draw multiple frames in a grid by using the mouse and arrow keys, I discovered a change in behavior.

The frames are no longer separated by a gap; in CS6 each frame touches the next one. This is not how the function worked in CS5 and CS5.5, see: http://tv.adobe.com/watch/indesign-cs5-feature-tour/grid-mode-and-live-distribute/?go=4949

How do I get frames, separated by a gap again in InDesign CS6? I can't find any documantation on this for CS6.

Cheers,

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 24, 2012 May 24, 2012

I practically never use this feature, but my recollection is that the gap is the same that is set for gutter width in the initial document setup dialog. Changing that in Layout > Margins and Columns  would probably do the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2012 May 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's working for me. When placing multiple images, I can use the Up Arrow and Right Arrow to create a grid of four.

Use Arrow Key.jpg

After the images are placed, and while they are still selected, I use the Space Bar while dragging a corner handle to change the size of the gap.

Space Bar Drag Corner.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2012 May 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the answer. At least I know this function has not been changed and it should work the same way as in CS5.

In my installation of CS6 there no space created between the frames of the grid:

Untitled-1.gif

And when the images are placed, I get this of course:

Untitled-2.gif

The only way I can create space is using the CTRL key plus arrow keys, or drag using the SPACE key.

I am puzzled. It is not a showstopper, but I miss the way it is supposed to work.

Cheers,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I practically never use this feature, but my recollection is that the gap is the same that is set for gutter width in the initial document setup dialog. Changing that in Layout > Margins and Columns  would probably do the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Correct: setting the gutter width in Layout > Margins and Columns did the trick. The gutter width was 0. Many thanks.

I occasionally need this feature to save time. This is the first time I run into this.

Cheers,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2015 Jun 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally figured it out. Start by clicking on the frame box, then while holding the box that you are creating, tap the right arrow and it will make more horizontally.

If you want to elimate space between boxes,  continue holding down the mouse and also the Ctrl button and then toggle the left or right arrow.  There is some space in between them, which I didn't want so I hit the Ctrl button and it eliminated the space.

If you want more rows, let go of the Ctrl button and then toggle the up or down arrow button. If you want to adjust them, hold the Ctrl button and toggle up and down to control spacing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2015 Jul 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For me it works a bit different amandawise88‌:

First part is the same: activate the Frame Tool and while holding the mouse button and click up arrow key I'll make more boxes vertically; if right arrow key—more horizontally. To decrease the number of boxes click down or left arrow key.

If I want to eliminate space between boxes, I need to continue holding down the mouse and then click Cmnd (I'm Mac user) and click the down arrow key to decrease the gap between boxes. To increase it I have to hold down Cmnd and keep clicking the upper arrow key.

If I click space while holding the mouse key, I'll be able to move the whole set of boxes to another place in the document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines