7 Replies Latest reply: May 27, 2012 3:22 PM by SyrioForel RSS

CS6 Running out of memory Error while rendering

SyrioForel

Hey everyone,

I recently upgraded to After Effects CS6 thinking it would be a great investment. So far, I have been horribly wrong!

Here's my computer's specs: (this is a huge upgrade from the computer I was running 5.5 on without any problems other than it being slow)

Intel i7-3615QM 2.3GHz Ivy Bridge processor

8GB GDDR5 RAM

NVIDIA GeForcs 650M w/ 2GB GDDR5 dedicated RAM

Here's what's happening:

I've been doing recording for my job at 1080p in front of a green screen. I record 16 minute sections. I use Keylight to replace the background with a still picture, and then export the video at half resolution, with audio as H.264 (.mp4) files. Normally I would set up the 16 minute sections to render in queue, but it kept having the "out of memory" error shortly after starting the one second in line. So then I started just doing one at a time... and now it won't even make it through one!

I have noticed that even after rendering is done, AE is still using 6 gigs of RAM! Usually I can purge the ram, but now even doing that doesn't change anything - I have to close the program to get my RAM back. I have tried enlarging my page file, I've tried rendering in different resolutions and file types - I feel like I've tried everthing. I've looked all over the internet and I haven't found any real solutions (just talk from 2008 about "secret" menus that I can't get to work).

Please help!!

Thank you!!

Dominic

• 1. Re: CS6 Running out of memory Error while rendering
          lasvideo Community Member

Get more ram!!! AE thrives on it. Especially if you are loading into AE 16 minute clips of 1080P.

Maybe you should try keying in the NLE you are using . PrP CS6 might be a good alternative work flow.

• 2. Re: CS6 Running out of memory Error while rendering
            Mylenium MVP

You could revert to CS5/ CS5.5? CS6 is a bust... 'nuff said. If you're stuck with CS6, try an alternat output format. You could simply be challenging luck here by combining two critical things - Keylight, which has always been a memory hog and buggy, and H.264 output, which could be buggy as well.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: CS6 Running out of memory Error while rendering
              SyrioForel Community Member

I wouldn't mind getting more RAM except that the computer I used to do this very same work with (except with 5.5) only had 6GHz of RAM and a pathetic processor and GPU in comparison.

I've tried doing the same editing in PrP but it just doesn't have enough tools . Changing my output format hasn't helped either unfortunately. I think the program has a memory leak.

I really think I might just go back to 5.5. I called support today and it took forever just to get the poor girl helping me to understand my name has an "m" in it. She wasn't really able to understand the problem. As far as I can tell, CS6 has been a 100% downgrade.

Thank you both for the help!

Dominic

• 4. Re: CS6 Running out of memory Error while rendering
                lasvideo Community Member

You could revert to CS5/ CS5.5? CS6 is a bust..

Mylenium, you must be delerius. My experience is to the conrary. I know you tend to be melodramatic , but thats just ridiculous.

• 5. Re: CS6 Running out of memory Error while rendering
                  Dave LaRonde Community Member

Hey, I'm sorry that it isn't working, but I gotta tell you;           ever since they made AE 64 bits, 6 gigs is hardly enough to flush the toilet.  It's a miracle you got it to work before.

• 6. Re: CS6 Running out of memory Error while rendering

XWell, this has been an adventure! I've been using my old machine with CS5.5 to render (the one with the Centrino dual core 2.0GHz and 6GB of RAM.... which literally takes 4x as long) and then transferring the files to my current computer with CS6 to edit in PrP.

BUT!

Adobe did release an update today that appears to have fixed the problem. I'm testing it out now - it's been rendering for 19 minutes so far without any problems. I'll post an update when I find out for sure if anyone is interested.

Thanks!

Dominic

• 7. Re: CS6 Running out of memory Error while rendering

Turns out the problem has not been fixed with the update. Instead of stopping the render with an error, though, it just slows down after about 20 minutes of rendering at high speeds to the point where it only renders a frame every few minutes. It's actually quite facinating because I can watch the RAM use build up slowly over time until it uses everything and can't go any further.

I really hope Adobe is working on fixing this... it just reminds me of how Microsoft, in an effort to fix the "Red Ring of Death" on the xbox360, simply took out the red lights.

Dominic