8 Replies Latest reply: May 24, 2012 8:40 AM by mdwebcat RSS

Help with Embedded Fonts

mdwebcat Community Member

Hello -

I am using FlashEFF for a few text effects in our online advertising banners.  I have five embedded fonts.  Now the problem is that the file size is huge due to the embedded fonts.

Is it true that if a user does not have that font on their computer that they will see a default font? 

I am using the following fonts:

Helvetica Neue:  65 Medium, 77 Bold Condensed, 95 Black

and

Futura LT:  Bold and Book

Thank you for any guidance on this.

• 1. Re: Help with Embedded Fonts
          esdebon Community Member

You can embed only the essentials characters.

And yes if the user has not the font only see a default font

Helvetica is installed only in mac

• 2. Re: Help with Embedded Fonts

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond   I am not sure what you mean by essential characters.  The fonts I have listed above are the fonts that I am actually using on the banner.  Should I be doing something different?

• 3. Re: Help with Embedded Fonts
              esdebon Community Member

When you embed a font, you can embed only some characters

Select the textfield (Dynamic or input) press "Embed" button deselect all the "Character Ranges" and type the characters to use in the section "Also include these characters"

If you are using static text, you don´t need embed fonts, everybody see your fonts with static text.

• 4. Re: Help with Embedded Fonts

Thank you so much.  This is very helpful information.  I appreciate it!!!!

• 5. Re: Help with Embedded Fonts

Hi -

I have another question.  Just as an experiment I deleted the embedded fonts within the dynamic text boxes.  I then tested on a laptop (PC) which does not have those specific fonts on the system.  However, I was still able to see the correct fonts within the dynamic text fields.  How is this possible?

Thanks!!!

• 6. Re: Help with Embedded Fonts

I just read that Helvetica is now considered a "web-safe" font so I am guessing it is okay to remove the Helvetica embedded font from the dynamic text boxes that we use it in.  We changed the one Futura font to Helvetica.  I am guessing that this is why other computers without those fonts can still see the banner correctly (because Helvetica is a web-safe font).

I can also see the Futura without it being embedded but I have not been able to find documentation that this font is web-safe.

• 7. Re: Help with Embedded Fonts
                      esdebon Community Member
                      Is the font embeded in another dynamic text field?

If you embed the font in any other text field that is applied every time you use this font.

Sometimes take any font similar or similarly named

• 8. Re: Help with Embedded Fonts

Each font we are using is only listed one time.

Below is a response I received from another forum which is also helpful to know.

"When you use static text, Flash automatically embeds the characters you used as part of the SWF. If you are using dynamic text, you need to embed the entire font for it to work properly, otherwise Flash will default to the behavior with static text, and it will just embed the characters you used in the file. So if for example you entered "placeholder text" in the field, the characters in that string will be exported, but not the rest of the font."