18 Replies Latest reply: May 12, 2013 6:48 PM by RickerC RSS

CS6 takes my After Effects clips offline.

genefama Community Member

Hello,

I'm running a Mac Pro 5,1 with 32 gigs of memory and an Nvidia Quadro 4000. I have a timeline contaning nothing but After Effects compositions that reside in three or four different AE project files. All were imported into AE CS6 from CS5.5 (it's a long-term project).

Here's the problem:

When I open Premiere Pro CS6 it takes a long time to populate the Project Panel and timeline with the AE linked clips. Some clips never populate and are replaced with red or yellow "media offline" placeholders. To speed playback, on the rare occasion I get a linked clip in every section of the timeline I try to render the clips. Some work and score a green bar (though clips with lots of effects take extremely long to render). Several render only partially before returning a "compiling error" message.  When this happens, others that were linked and rendered can suddenly go offline. Sometimes the entire timeline becomes red placeholders.

A reboot and reopening of Pr used to fix this, albeit without giving every previously-rendered clip a green "rendered" status. Now the project rarely finds even a majority of the clips. None have been moved or renamed and all open up in After Effects. Going back and selecting a clip to relink it can work occasionally, but on several occasions has also caused neighboring clips to drop offline.

This is really the tip of the iceberg when it comes to my CS6 problems of the past week. If I could just get my timeline up and showing green bars for segments I've already rendered then I would at least feel stuck in place, rather than going backwards.

Can anyone help?

Thanks much,

Gene

• 1. Re: CS6 takes my After Effects clips offline.
          JSS1138 Community Member

compositions that reside in three or four different AE project files.

That has caused issues in the past.  Best to keep all comps for any given PP project in one AE project.

And don't use any real numbers in either the comp name or the project name.  If you must use numbers, spell them out - Comp One, Comp Two, etc.

• 2. Re: CS6 takes my After Effects clips offline.
            lasvideo Community Member

Actually, this problem is alleviated in CS6 PrP. In the Pref menu the option for PrP/AE to ignore sequential numbering in dynamic link files is checked by default. So all those crazy issues we had with DL between PrP and AE are a thing of the past. Ive been testing it for a while and see no evidence of the old problem in my work. Its so cool this was fixed!

• 3. Re: CS6 takes my After Effects clips offline.

lasvideo,

Interesting. I'm running CS6. But maybe it inherited my CS5.5 settings when I imported the project from CS5.5. Should I have the option for sequential numbering checked or unchecked?

g

• 4. Re: CS6 takes my After Effects clips offline.

I think it needs to be checked. Read it and do what it suggests 

• 5. Re: CS6 takes my After Effects clips offline.

Jim,

I suspected this was a possible cause. Do you know of a way to consolidate all my clips into a single project file, including embedded pre-comps? I'm willing to devote work hours to transferring the comps.  It'd be easier having them together anyway (though perhaps less disaster-proof (?)). The fact that there are multiple AE project files is an accident of the movie's development and not by design.

g

• 6. Re: CS6 takes my After Effects clips offline.

lasvideo,

Sorry to be dense, but I can't find the preference setting you're talking about in the general prefs, even after an internet search.  Where exactly is it?

Thanks much,

g

• 7. Re: CS6 takes my After Effects clips offline.

No, you are cool. My mistake. The pref setting is in After Effects...

Screen Shot 2012-05-24 at 8.28.00 PM (0;00;00;00)_00004.jpg

The fact that you are using preexisting dynamic link relationships set in a CS5 PrP/AE  project might be an issue if this doesnt resolve your problem.

I would try creating a new blank PrP project that matches the sequence setting of your old project then try..

1. Import the old PrP project and copy/paste into that new clean PrP sequence.

2. Just import the old PrP sequence and open it to see if all is well

3. You might have to relink your AE DL sequences if you get the "No Media". display.

Good luck!

• 8. Re: CS6 takes my After Effects clips offline.

lasvideo,

Thanks so much for going through the effort of helping me. You're really generous and helpful. I'll try your fix first thing tomorrow.

I wonder if Adobe monitors this board. Do they agree with Jim for instance that all AE compositions need to be in the same file? I doubt they purposefully designed it that way, but they don't weigh in or give us an easy way to contact them directly, which leaves us to experiment and conjecture.  Maybe the answers aren't obvious to them either. 

Anyway. I digress.  I had no idea about the checkbox and look forward to trying it tomorrow morning.

Thanks again!

g

• 9. Re: CS6 takes my After Effects clips offline.

I help it helps.

Yes, they do monitor and usually will chime in.

Based on my experience with CS6 over the last several months, Jims comment...

That has caused issues in the past.  Best to keep all comps for any given PP project in one AE project.

And don't use any real numbers in either the comp name or the project name.  If you must use numbers, spell them out - Comp One, Comp Two, etc.

is not necessary anynore. You can have each AE dynamically linked clip be its own project. In fact now its better to do it that way. And nameing is not the same issue it used to be either. Things are much simplified and solid in CS6.

• 10. Re: CS6 takes my After Effects clips offline.

Adobe has never responded to one of my problems.

Things are much simplified and solid in CS6.

Simplified, maybe. Solid...not for me.  Quite the opposite, in fact. But I'm hoping for a bright tomorrow.

• 11. Re: CS6 takes my After Effects clips offline.

So far this morning's update hasn't solved this problem. Files falling offline and four "serious error" crashes with nothing more taxing than file-opening.

• 12. Re: CS6 takes my After Effects clips offline.

Try deleting all your cache and preview files for both PrP and AE. Google if you dont know where they are. Busy morning 

• 13. Re: CS6 takes my After Effects clips offline.

Thanks lasvideo,

Only worked briefly.  Still hunting for an answer.  Have a great weekend.

g

• 14. Re: CS6 takes my After Effects clips offline.
                                    Krioni Community Member

Hey,

I do not know if my solution will work for you. I have CS5.5 on MacBook Pro (2.2Ghz i7, 8GB ram, OSX 10.7.4) and I had bunch of clips where I had to stabilize them in AE. I used Dynamic Link for that. I didn't find any solution online.

I work on dual monitors so that's why these screenshots below look weird.

First I did, I opened an AE file, with dynamic links. I had 2 of them (2 projects). [somebody gave a good tip to keep all Dynamic Links in 1 AE project]

Second, I marked all the Dynamic Links which could not be found in PrP. I marked them in the files window.

Then I right click on them and "Link Media" BUT, I DIDN'T DO ANYTHING ELSE. PrP found the files itself. So I clicked "Cancel" in the window which popped up.

I don't know if there has to be that order of doing this. I was doing that first time and this is how I did it. Actually by accident.

ohhh. now I see it was in May... sorry, probably you don't need it any more...

Screen Shot 2012-08-22 at 1.41.18 PM.pngScreen Shot 2012-08-22 at 1.41.18 PM (2).pngScreen Shot 2012-08-22 at 1.41.39 PM (2).png

• 15. Re: CS6 takes my After Effects clips offline.

Thanks for the note and screenshots, donkamiliani. I agree that re-linking offline media is do-able. The problem (unchanged since May) isn't that it's difficult to do, but rather that it constantly needs doing.  Files get lost for no reason. But more frequently, Dynamic Link shows my media as online, but PP gives me a red bar, requiring me to re-render it, even though the linked comp has not been changed.

I've rendered the same clips over and over. My scratch disks are probably bloated with massive files that are just renamed iterations of the same ten or fifteen renders.  It's the worst thing about CS6.

• 16. Re: CS6 takes my After Effects clips offline.
                                        andi_urra Community Member

Hi, I just wanted to confirm this problem. I am running constantly into this on my current project. Also, Premiere is freezing quite often while doing the "replace with After Effects Composition" without getting the material over to AE. And it is doing conformings over and over again.

The setting:

CS6, Premiere and After Effects.

Windows 7, 64bit

The Project: 96 min film in Premiere. About half the shots are replaced with AE comps.

All comps are handled in the same AE project because of shared Precomps and assets.

It gets increasingly unstable. Premiere freezes mulitple times a day.

• 17. Re: CS6 takes my After Effects clips offline.
                                          RickerC

Ok I also am experiencing an issue similar to this. It is directly related to the title of this thread, so I thought I would put it in here.

Everytime I start up my project in premiere, all my footage loads, but wherever there is a dynamic linked after effects composition I just get the yellow "media pending graphic". If I attempt to relink these compositions to the original after effects project (there is only 1 project with about 7 comps in it), premiere just plainly freezes, and my only option is to force quit it.

If I try to reimport that after effects project it freezes, and i have to force quit.

I tried creating another after effects project with just a simple piece of text in 1 composition and then importing that, and it comes up with the dialogue box "import after effects compositions" but then it just does nothing but show a "connectin gto dynamic link server" progress bar that never does anything.

On other occasions, when I try to do any form of dynamic link import premiere just freezes, and I have to force quit.

So there seems to be some issue for me with dynamic link, that has recently occured.

Can this be due to any After effects Scripts I have recently installed? Can they have an affect on dynamic link?

SOLUTION:

I have found a solution, but this is not ideal in case I had multiple After effects projects in premiere.

I can open the 1 after effects project first, and then when I open premiere it links to the project and the individual compositions seemlessly.

• 18. Re: CS6 takes my After Effects clips offline.
                                            RickerC Community Member

An update to this though, is that if I close the after effects project, then I lose all my connections in premiere and premiere consequently freezes and I have to force quit.