• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need Detailed description of the differences between Adobe Flash Player Plugin and Shockwave Flash

New Here ,
May 21, 2012 May 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For many years now I have been in a quandry over Adobe Flash (plugin) and Shockwave flash. The quandry is also somewhat exacerbated by the variety of subsetted versions supplied for each.

You know, it is sorta like the name and namespace dilemna provided by Adobe's continuing use of "Macromedia" when sometimes referring to, or distributing, their products... eg still creating Macromedia folders during installs. 

I have been told that Shockwave Flash actually contains the Flash plugins. If that is the case should I be upgrading to a newer Shockwave Flash version if  Adobe announces or (as recently occurred) denounces

a newer version of Adobe Flash.

Will you please provide me with details for, and distinctions between, these two products?

Hoping you can respond in a flash ... er... two flashes.

Thanks     

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 22, 2012 May 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shockwave Flash == Flash Player.

Flash Player is a browser add-on that consists of two components:

• Flash Player ActiveX control for Internet Explorer
  • Flash Player plugin for all other browsers

There is also another product from Macromedia: Shockwave Player, a completely different tool.  Not as widely used as Flash Player.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2012 May 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK Thanks I silly-goofed in describing what I meant in my initial post. I needed to say what's the diff between Adobe Flash (=Shockwave Flash) (plugin) and Adobe Shockwave Player. 

So will you please detail the differences between Adobe Flash (=Shockwave Flash) and Shockwave Player?

I have been told that Shockwave Player actually contains the Adobe Flash (=Shockwave Flash) plugins. Is it both

• Flash Player ActiveX control for Internet Explorer
  • Flash Player plugin for all other browsers

that are contained therein?

If the above is indeed the case, should I be upgrading to a newer Shockwave Player version if  Adobe announces or (as recently occurred) denounces a newer version of Adobe Flash (=Shockwave Flash) .

Here's where I am headed will all this:

I have been asked by one of your coworkers Chris Campbell,  to prepare an Adobe Bug report and paste back to the Adobe Forum thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4428382#4428382

Since I have Adobe Shockwave Player 11.6.4.634 and Adobe Flash (aka Adobe Shockwave Flash) ver 11,1,102,55 currently installed and since

Adobe Flash 11.2.202.235 will not install without a "...The  procedure entry point ... kernel32.dll ..." error for my Windows 2000 Professional configuration

I want to uninstall Adobe Flash (=Shockwave Flash) ver 11,1,102,55 and the then further troubleshoot the MLB.TV media player "abnormal spinning circles" problem.

Will the MLB NexDef detector actually detect the "Flash version inside Shockwave player"?  Will the MLB.TV NexDef software actually work nicely with Shockwave Player Flash?   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 23, 2012 May 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, to clarify: I am not an Adobe employee, just a volunteer in these forums.

Regarding Shockwave Player: no, it does not contain the Shockwave Flash plugin.

And about the Windows 2000 install problem: see this topic, especially towards the end http://forums.adobe.com/thread/965334

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2012 May 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat

Thanks again,

First of all the link you provided http://forums.adobe.com/thread/965334 is just great. It is so interesting; and spot on!

It has helped me understand not only why the Adobe Flash Adobe Flash 11.2.202.235 will not install without a "...The  procedure entry point ... kernel32.dll ..." error for my Windows 2000 Professional configuration. The discussion thread makes me want to talk once again with Microsoft about their Microsoft Update "redistributable C++" security patch problem. They have a generic http://support.microsoft.com/kb/142606  kicking around out there with the error:

"... The procedure entry point SomeProcedureName could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll ..." that led me astray a bit and that's when I verified an overlooked aspect for W2KP users on the C++ redistributable (patches) security updates.

On my W2KPSP4, I try to set all my installs within my Visual FoxPro 9 database by calling binary (or blob) memos of install exes or 7-zipped installed packages.

I call and run with my embedded VFP code on the same record. I think I am going to try your Item #21 entry in the aforementioned link and give it a go after a few more careful rereads of the discussion. Wish me luck!

Chris Campbell has also been helping us with concomitant MLB.TV problem

So ... when I was getting emails from you both showing up, one after another, I mistakenly thought you were both Adobe employees.

Hope Adobe really appreciates your input to the forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 25, 2012 May 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gbye wrote:

Hope Adobe really appreciates your input to the forum.

We do!!  Pat has been an invaluable asset to this community!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2012 Jun 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update :

I have now written a VFP stored procedure to sequentially call the hack components- HxD Hex Editor  and the 11.2.202.235 executable, edit/save the hex edit of the exe file and then run the install  of 11.2.202.235 exe successfully

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2013 Mar 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am so confused. I have a laptop with windows 7 and sometimes i use internet explorer and sometimes google. Although google has been really confusing me lately. Am I to understand that there is not just ONE flash player that will work for all IE, google, firefox, etc.? So if I download the flash while in IE and then try to go to the site I want in google, will I get a message saying that I do not have the flash player plug in installed? This is the message I get and I have downloaded flash player about 5 times in the past few days.

Just off the subject my curser has been jumping all over and moving to other text I have already typed while I am typing. so constantly I have part of the word I am typing moved somewhere else on my page and I have to go up and correct that word as well as move curser back down to my latest point and make a correction there. as soon as i start typing again for awhile it will do the same thing again. Any ideas.

I am not a computer whiz, just trying to chug along and do the best I can with my novice knowledge. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Google Chrome comes with Flash Player preinstalled; you don't need to install it.  Update Chrome to update Chrome's Flash Player.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how do I update chrome? I am pretty sure that it is but tell me anyway. thank you

Sandra J. Barrientos

[private data removed]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having some issues with google/chrome lately. It seems like I keep getting myself more involved with stuff when I am on google that I don't need to even be messing with so I end up with my computer a mess and more confused. I find IE much more simple to use or else I am just very familiar with it. If I want to use IE what can I do plus I can not even log into my site on google chrome. It keeps saying my password in incorrect but on IE I am able to log in it just says I do not have the flash plug in. Is plug in different from just flash?

Sandra J. Barrientos

[private data removed]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is a public forum; please do not post your email address and other private data (by sending the entire forum notification message with all its headers back to the forum).

See my reply in your other topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines