• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Updated Flash fails to start

New Here ,
Mar 28, 2012 Mar 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated to Flash 11.2.202.228 on my x86 Linux system and Flash no longer works. I'm using Firefox 13.0a2; Firefox 3.6.24 also fails. When going to a page with Flash content, plugin-container starts and immediately quits. Setting dom.ipc.plugins.enabled = false causes Firefox to crash when visiting pages with Flash.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 30, 2012 Mar 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the heads up.  I've forwarded it to one of our Linux experts for their review so he'll probably be back here with additional questions.  In the meantime, could you please open a new bug report on this over at bugbase.adobe.com?  Please post back with the URL so that others affected can add their comments and votes.

Thanks,
Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2012 Mar 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2012 Mar 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem for me. Fails on i386, works on x86-64. Fedora 16 with Firefox 11. I also tried the Firefox 11 from Mozilla. No change.

11.1 works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 02, 2012 Apr 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i didn't see any issue on Fedora x86_64 as jgotts stated.  i'm downloading the i686 fedora iso now.  give me an hour to try it out.  brb...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fudgeyum wrote:

Just updated to Flash 11.2.202.228 on my x86 Linux system and Flash no longer works. I'm using Firefox 13.0a2; Firefox 3.6.24 also fails. When going to a page with Flash content, plugin-container starts and immediately quits. Setting dom.ipc.plugins.enabled = false causes Firefox to crash when visiting pages with Flash.

Firefox 13.0a2 is a pre-BETA version and therefore won't have been tested with the current version of Flash and may not perform as expected.

The other version you mentioned namely 3.6.24 is out of date and exposes your system to exploits. Update to the latest supported version which is 3.6.28: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all-older.html

However, support for even this latter version will cease on 24 April this year: Firefox 3.6 approaches end of life

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2012 Apr 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If memory serves, I believe the reason the Flash 11.2.202.228 (released in late March, 2012) won't work with Firefox 3.6.28 is that Adobe no longer supports Firefox 3.6.x with the 11.2.202.228 update. I think that Flash 11.1.102.64 (released in early March 2012, and the last 11.1.x release) is the last Flash that supports Firefox 3.6.x. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm not able to reproduce the issue with Fedora 16 i686 and Firefox 11 (see screenshot). i installed by copying over the libflashplayer.so binary to ~/.mozilla/plugins

Screenshot at 2012-04-02 13-46-53.png

how are you installing, rpm or binary?  can you make sure you have completely uninstalled the previous version.  also, please try with the latest Firefox 11 release.  thanks...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2012 Apr 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Firefox 13.0a2 is a pre-BETA version and therefore won't have been tested with the current version of Flash and may not perform as expected.

The other version you mentioned namely 3.6.24 is out of date and exposes your system to exploits. Update to the latest supported version which is 3.6.28

I know this. I do not routinely use 3.6 and I was using Aurora because of a particular bug in the nightlies (which I normally use).

i'm not able to reproduce the issue with Fedora 16

I was thinking the issue is probably that 11.2 requires newer dependencies than I have on my system, but I can't seem to find a complete list, and jgotts is able to reproduce on Fedora 16 (I'm on Fedora 14), so that is probably not the case. Based on bns_robson's post in the bug report (Illegal instruction), perhaps 11.2 is compiled with additional CPU-specific optimizations enabled?

how are you installing, rpm or binary?  can you make sure you have completely uninstalled the previous version.

I was installing with yum, but also tried copying over libflashplayer.so from the tar.gz. I did `yum remove flash-plugin` (which should fail if it did not remove) and manually deleted the .adobe and .macromedia directories first (how much more complete can you get?). But now I'm testing with manually downloaded rpms because it's easier to go back and forth between working/non-working versions.

also, please try with the latest Firefox 11 release.
[00:29:27.042] navigator.userAgent
[00:29:27.056] "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; rv:11.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/11.0"

Flash still doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 11, 2012 Apr 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

would you happen to have an NVidia GPU?  we are seeing reports of 11,2,202,228 being problematic with Nvidia and libvdpau1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2012 Apr 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility U1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2012 May 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any status on this? There is no way it takes 6 weeks to recompile…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 23, 2012 May 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which Firefox version are you using right now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 25, 2012 May 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i don't believe it's a matter of recompiling.  our build engineers have verified those builds flags for sse2 have also existed in FP10.  from what version were you updating from, meaning what was your last working release that you can confirm was working on x86 system?

it looks like someone is following up on your bug in the adobe bugbase.  that is a good first step to getting it looked at internally.  thanks...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2012 May 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right now I am using Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; rv:15.0) Gecko/15.0 Firefox/15.0a1, but I don't see how that matters since it affects multiple versions including 3.6, 11, 12…

All release versions of 10.3 (I'm currently using 10.3.183.19) and 11.1 that I tried worked. No versions of 11.2 work. If that's not good enough for you, as reported in the bug these versions do work:

(As stated above, 10.3.183.19 also works.) These versions do not work:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2012 Jun 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2012 Jul 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ping

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2012 Aug 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In re https://www.adobe.com/support/security/bulletins/apsb12-18.html: any update on currently shafted and vulnerable Linux users?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 14, 2012 Aug 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our Linux version was also updated to 11.2.202.238

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2012 Aug 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris, here's a synopsis of the thread: 11.2 does not work. Here's an update: 11.2.202.238 also does not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 21, 2012 Aug 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the update on 11.2, and I'm sorry it's not working for you.  The bug is currently marked To Test/Cannot Reproduce, I'll ask the team if there's specific info they need to continue.

While it doesn't contain all of the latest features, 10.3.183.23 is up to date with security patches.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Following up on mhodak's reply to https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3154276, it does look like libflashplayer.so was compiled for SSE2, which is not supported by Athlon XP CPUs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is considerably worse than that. The current libflashplayer.so doesn't run on any 32-bit AMD processors. SSE2 was only added to 64-bit AMD processors.

So a giant installed base is currently out of luck. I think Adobe can rectify the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excerpted from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSE2

The following CPUs implemented IA-32 after SSE2 was developed, but did not implement SSE2:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2012 Apr 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

11.2.202.233 also fails

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines