18 Replies Latest reply: May 29, 2012 9:08 PM by angelalien548 RSS

Premiere pro v2 to photoshop CS2 file - help?

angelalien548 Community Member

Yesterday I wanted to see if I could edit the *.avi video clip in Photoshop CS2 - so in Premiere, I tried exporting this .avi clip as a quick time movie file which I then tried to open in my photoshop CS2, but it would not even open.

How do I save an .avi video clip in PPro so I can open and edit (like cut out a wall from a room, and put a big stained glass window in place where the wall had been, for example), and then save it so I can 1) edit it in After Effects (by adding moving characters), 2) export it so it will import back into PPro, render and run smoothly when viewed in the Source or Program monitors?

I also d/l the free PFx Film Machine, but I'm not too sure what it does? I think it lets me open quick time files in photoshop as a sequence of still images for editing in PS?

Also, I haven't yet installed this Film Strip, not sure how to install it?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Premiere pro v2 to photoshop CS2 file - help?
          Ann Bens ACP/MVPs

I think you will have to save it as a filmstrip.

• 2. Re: Premiere pro v2 to photoshop CS2 file - help?

Ann Bens wrote:

I think you will have to save it as a filmstrip.

Ok, that's what I'd like to do, but how exactly?

• 3. Re: Premiere pro v2 to photoshop CS2 file - help?
              the_wine_snob Community Member

In PrPro 2.0, with focus on your Timeline, go to Export>Movie, and then Settings. From the "File Type" drop-down, choose Filmstrip, and if necessary, adjust the Video, but the default should be fine.

Note: the files will be large, and later versions of PS have dropped support for Filmstrip files (cannot recall when, but PS CS2 will still handle them).

I would also experiment with small segements first, and you can limit the Duration (number of Frames) with the WAB (Work Area Bar).

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Premiere pro v2 to photoshop CS2 file - help?

Here is the Filmstrip dialog in PrPro 2.0:

Export_Filmstrip.png

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Premiere pro v2 to photoshop CS2 file - help?

Thanks, Bill. Last week I ordered Photoshop for Digital Video: Creative Solutions for Professional results by Mike Gondek and Archie Cocke from Amazon.

and in the book, chapter 27 talks about filmstrips.

• 6. Re: Premiere pro v2 to photoshop CS2 file - help?

Not familiar with that book, but if you are working with Filmstrip files, sounds like it will be a real asset.

Good luck and happy editing,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Premiere pro v2 to photoshop CS2 file - help?

I was able to export this (the video sequence was cropped in PPro to play only the scene I wanted) to a .flm file, but when I tried to open it in photoshop (CS2) I got a "could not complete your request because the file format module cannot parse the file" error dialogue.

In the output filder this file was an "unknown association" type of icon if I check it in Windows Explorer/the photoshop browser window.

How do I solve this problem?

• 8. Re: Premiere pro v2 to photoshop CS2 file - help?
                        Ann Bens ACP/MVPs

Try again, because it should work. Done this in the past several times.

I do not think you can read a filmstrip outside PS.

• 9. Re: Premiere pro v2 to photoshop CS2 file - help?

Ann, as per your reply, I tried this today, but it did not work. I kept getting that same error message. But something in the PS application gave me a lead as to what I'm supposed to do in order to get PS to open .flm files - I have to somehow get the filmstrip v9 plugin, so I googled for it but couldn't find it. Could you guys help me with this?

I know nothing about where to get this plugin nor how to install it. Help please?

After I get this plugin installed and the flm file opened in PS, I'll then start a new thread in the PS forum.

• 10. Re: Premiere pro v2 to photoshop CS2 file - help?

I agree with Ann. I just Exported a 00;00;40;00 flm from PrPro 2.0, and then Opened it in PS CS2. It worked perfectly.

Now, as each Frame is basically an Image, when Opened in PS, one needs a short Duration flm, or a very, very powerful computer. I was on my laptop, and while it's a heavy-duty laptop, obviously has its limitations.

Something was wrong with your Export. What Duration were you Exporting? If very long, try adjusting the WAB (Work Area Bar), and Exporting shorter segments.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Premiere pro v2 to photoshop CS2 file - help?

Gee, I have no clue as to how long my duration was - how do I tell?

Ok, if its best to export short durations of movie clips, what's the best duration I should crop it to?

How do I adjust the work area bar? What WAB - in PPro, or PS? Where is the WAB? I haven't a single clue about the WAB, in fact, I don't even know what this is?

I'd appreciate it if you guys would answer all my questions.

• 12. Re: Premiere pro v2 to photoshop CS2 file - help?
                                Ann Bens ACP/MVPs

For WAB see screendump.

There is no plugin required to import a filmstrip.

work area bar 1.jpg

work area bar.jpg

• 13. Re: Premiere pro v2 to photoshop CS2 file - help?

Ok, I adjusted my WAB, exported to flm, tried to open in PS. Same error as before. Next I went back into Ppro, and this time under "Edit" I saw "edit in after effects (this option wasavailable)", but the "edit in photoshop" was grayed out - even when both the file was highlighted in the project menu as well as the Timeline. The sequence was exported to someting like 24647 in the export to flm dialogue box/progress indicator within PPro.

What do I do now?

• 14. Re: Premiere pro v2 to photoshop CS2 file - help?

Along with Ann's screen-caps, this ARTICLE goes into some more detail on the WAB in PrPro, plus lists some other uses for it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Premiere pro v2 to photoshop CS2 file - help?

Edit in Photoshop will work, when you have a JPEG, PSD, etc. Selected on the Timeline - not the entire Timeline.

I do not know why you are getting the error, when you go to Open the flm in PS.

I would set the Duration of the WAB to about 40 sec. (my test), and see if that will Open without an error.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: Premiere pro v2 to photoshop CS2 file - help?

I moved this clip to the 00:00:00:00 time on the timeline, checked its duration by hovering mouse over WAB, and it read "start - 00:00:00:00", "end - 00:00:27:25". does this tell you anything, Bill, Ann?

Also, in my latest post, I had the clip highlighted in the timeline - does this mean its selected in the timeline?

the entire timeline's empty space was plainly showing both in the area before the beginning of the clip, as well as after the end of the clip, even though the clip itself was highlighted.

Also, ever since I told the "unknown file - open with.." to open this kind (flm) of file with some kind of word pad/note pad application the other day, all of my future flm exports from PPro keep getting this "word pad" icon, although when I R-click the file to show its properties, it shows up with a .flm extension. Furthernore, all of my latest cropped Ppro files that I worked on this afternoon at the family picnic show a .ppoj extension and are ~258 KB in size, whereas these "wordpad" associated-icon .flm exports show a size of 32 GB.

How do I fix all of these mistakes?

update: even when I tried to re-associale these "wordpad-icon" .flm files with PS in windows explorer, PS starts up and I get this "...module cannot parse the file" error, same as before, and their icons remain this "wordpad" icon, it never changes to a PS-association icon, I even tried re-associating with PPro, same result as with PS re-association. help?

• 17. Re: Premiere pro v2 to photoshop CS2 file - help?

If, in Control Panel>Folder Options>File Type, the file associations (with "Always Use Selected Program to Open this File Type" checked) are not sticking, then something is wrong in Windows.

Sorry, but I cannot imagine why these issues are happening, and can only reply with how things work on my system, with those same two programs. Not sure how WordPad got "locked" onto the .flm file type association. That is a puzzle.

Wish that I had more to offer. Perhaps Ann, or others, will see what I am missing.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: Premiere pro v2 to photoshop CS2 file - help?

Bill, Ann, after we got home from the picnic last night I took the time to read chapter 27 "fun with filmstrips" in the newly arrived book, "photoshop for digital video," and earlier today I went to the local Barnes & Noble cafe with my laptop and I cropped a ~2 second video sequence of the *.flm file (it had the wordpad icon) in PPro that I was having trouble opening in PS, saved it after cropping it, then I exported again as a new *.flm sequence, exited PPro, started up PS, then went to Browse, located the new file, > Open, and it opened as a double-columned (with a L column of a sequence and a R column of sequences). I then started editing all the sequences the left column, editing out say, a stray person that I did not want in the finished project, saved the file as a *.flmroj while still working on it in PS. Then I gropued all of the edits into one folder, duplicated it and tried to move the copied (this entire filmstrip was taken with the same angle/perspective in both L & R columns) folder onto the right column, but the layers (edits) in the R column had the individual layer (going frame by frame) boarders (white boarder separating one frame from the next frame) off-center, unlike the way they were lined up perfectly in the L column.

How to I get the boarders of these edits to line up perfectly in the R column like they do in the L column?

This file (since working on it at the cafe and saving it) now has a PS file-association icon. I'm going to do more background edits on each frame later in PS.

What does *.flmroj mean? What application does it open with after all of the background edits are finished and if I'd like to add an angel to this sequence that moves according to the sequence (such as giving someone a book that the angel pulled out of his back pocket for example)?

Did I just solve a software problem (by getting the *.flm file to open in PS) today without any errors?

Apparently when I kept getting these errors, that flm file was just too big for my system's OS to load it into RAM to in order to open it/display it onscreen, altough I have enough RAM to save the edits rather quickly in PS (this means the application writes the new data into this file's hard drive location, thus updating a whole string of binary digits on the file's hard drive location).