• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why Do I get Choppy Playback in Premiere Pro CS6

Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2012 May 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before upgrading from CS5.5 to CS6 I wiped my computer and started from scratch. When editing 4 angles in CS5.5 I never had any problems with playback... even after adding titles, effects..

In CS6 I have my 4 files set into a multicam sequence but when I play back and start cutting from cam to cam it gets choppy.

I am running:
Windows 7 64bit
On a Dell Studio XPS 9100
Intel Core i7 930 @ 2.80GHz
12.0 GB Ram
ATI Radeon HD 5800

I have my memory preferences in PR set to 12 GB Installed, Ram for other aps = 3 Ram fpr PR 9GB, and it set to performance

Any help to speed up and render this proper would be great, Still have to add color correction, titles, logo.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 25, 2012 May 25, 2012

OK.

There is an issue with longer AVCHD media that makes CS6 largely unusable at the moment.  You may want to transcode that to something else while Adobe works on a bug fix.  I recommend the free and lossless UT codec.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Ut-Video-Codec-Suite

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I run PR and it is choppy if I go to task manager/Performance it is only using 3.85 GB of the 9 alloted to the program.
also getting about 13 "events" that say a low level exception occured in: Adobe Player

The yellow bar above my clips in the timeline is missing chunks. How do I render or replace missing frames?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

finaly figured out how to render that fixed the problem some what

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of media are you running?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

M2TS on track 1 and 2 (1440x1080 (1.33), 29.97 FPS, 48000Hz Compressed Stereo)

MP4 on Track 3 (1920x1080 (1), 29.97 FPS, 48000Hz Compressed Stereo)
MPG split in 6 seperate Clips (starts/stops) on Track 4 (1440x1080 (1.33), 29.97 FPS, 48000Hz Compressed Stereo)
Wav of Mutitrack Mixdown from Audition (48000 Hz 32bit Float - Stereo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what make and model cameras?  (It matters)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

m2ts= Sony HDR-XR550 & Sony HDR-CX550
MP4 - GOPRO HERO HD2
MPG - Canon XLH1 Tape imported with PR CS6

I have razored the Canon file every time there was a stop and start with recording and synced the clips with the rest of my file.. I have also re-exported each of the 6 Canon clips into there own individual MPG file and re-synced same problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.

There is an issue with longer AVCHD media that makes CS6 largely unusable at the moment.  You may want to transcode that to something else while Adobe works on a bug fix.  I recommend the free and lossless UT codec.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Ut-Video-Codec-Suite

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2012 May 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you very much Jim. So if I convert my m2ts files to MPG to match my other clips (already converted the 2 MP4's into 1 MPG) essentially it should play back as in CS5.5? Hope they fix this issue soon...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They should, but you lose quality converting them to MPEG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What format would you recommend for least amount of quality loss? I dont understand how the codec you posted before works? should I download and see if this solves the problem or how does it work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's one of the codec options when creating a Microsot AVI file.

What are you using to covert?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open file in CS6 to timeline and export from PR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UT Output.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 1st update came out today. Downloading now. Looks like it should fix my old problems... fingers crossed

What's new in Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 6.0.1:

May 26th, 2012

Features added or changed in this update:

· Improved performance using OpenCL, especially when used on Mac OSX v10.7.4 or later.

· Added encoding presets with additional bit-rate settings for XDCAM HD.

· Added Automatic Peak File Generation preference in the Audio category for turning off automatic peak file generation for imported audio. By default, this preference is enabled and matches the behavior of Premiere Pro CS6 (6.0.0).

· When this preference is disabled, importing audio or opening projects will not cause peak files to be generated. If peak files were already generated, then waveforms will be visible. Files imported before the preference was disabled will continue to generate peak files.

· Enabled “smart rendering” and added Enable Smart Rendering Codec setting to the Video tab of the MXF OP1a exporters for XDCAM HD and XDCAM EX to enable or disable smart rendering for these formats. This option defaults to the off/disabled state. We’ll have more information about this feature in a post on this blog within a day.

Bugs fixed in this update:

· Start timecode was not imported or exported correctly when working with AAF files.

· Some files from the Canon 5D Mark III camera were imported with the wrong timecode.

· Playing/viewing waveforms in the Source Monitor caused audio dropouts with some XDCAM HD clips.

· NTSC MXF OP1a files that were exported with drop-frame timecode had video data that was tagged as non-drop-frame.

· Switching the Renderer project setting from Mercury Playback Engine Software Only to Mercury Playback Acceleration GPU Acceleration on a computer using OpenCL caused Premiere Pro to crash under some circumstances. Switching between the two settings on a computer using CUDA would in some cases cause problems with video and/or audio playback.

· Crash when using full-screen, cinema mode on some computer systems.

· Tape capture was not working correctly with some third-party systems.

· Crash when capturing from tape using some BlackMagic hardware.

· An extra, black frame was included at the end of the output when exporting to P2 MXF in some circumstances.

· First two frames were being played twice on external monitor using Matrox MXO2.

· Crash when using “hover scrub” with Matrox MXO2.

· Audio/video synchronization was off by a few frames when playing video on external monitor.

· The Export Frame button was not exporting the correct frame, instead exporting a frame one or two frames away from the current frame.

· Some audio files and some MXF files would go offline or have their audio reconformed when the project was re-opened or when Premiere Pro was minimized or lost focus.

· Crash when modifying an effect property while playback was occurring.

· Hang/freeze when using a dissolve transition on an adjustment layer.

· Dropped frames and audio/video synchronization issues when exporting to tape using some third-party hardware.

· Information about dropped frames on output to tape was not accessible to third-party systems.

· Some QuickTime files were imported with the wrong field order.

· When audio was sent through a Mercury Transmit plug-in, any number of channels that was not 2 or 6 was treated as mono.

· In HDV editing mode, File > Export > Tape could not be used with third-party hardware.

· The current-time indicator (playhead) was not returning to the current time after using the Play Around command.

· Last several frames of output when exporting to tape were black.

· When encoding a 23.976 fps video to H.264, the duration of the video in the output .m4v file was too short, and audio drifted out of synchronization with the video.

· Transparency (alpha channel) information from a dynamically linked After Effects composition was rendered incorrectly in Premiere Pro.

· Importing some QuickTime OP1a files caused Premiere Pro to hang.

· The duration of the audio track sent to SpeedGrade using the Send To SpeedGrade command was the length of the entire Premiere Pro sequence, not the length of the work area.

· Timecode written to trimmed clips using the Project Manager did not match the source timecode for some QuickTime files.

· Various other crashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2012 Sep 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have problems with M2T files as well, but the fix shouldn't have to be transcode them to Mpeg. Premiere is supposed to handle files of varying formats in the same project.

I generally shut the program down and go into the Video previews folder and delete them.

Then re-open Premiere and wait for it to re-create the peak files. 

As for choppy playback in the multicam viewer check your hard drive cache.

I have a pretty powerful PC and it was brought to a crawl by the Hard Drive that came with it, which I found out only had a 16mb cache.

I recommend installing a second Internal HD with at least a 32mb Cache or higher and put your video on that. (You can get a Western Digital HD for under $100)

However make sure you have the scratch files going to the C: Drive (this will help with render speed later.)

I edit videos that come off Canon XF Series Cameras, each video file plays back at 5mpbs so in my case if you are using the multicam editor you are playing back four videos at the sames time plus a fifth which is the preview screen. So that's most of the HD cache right there, if you add the PC trying to run the software you're really taxing the HD.

So the best bet is buying a second internal drive becasue most external drives don't have enough cache memory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2013 Mar 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue. But I just rendered the effects i did....by going to the top, SEQUENCE and then RENDER EFFECTS IN WORK AREA....and then boom, was running smoothly. And then you see that the red lines above your content is not green.

It's working smoothly now...for the time being.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 11, 2013 Mar 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still having shutter issues with 4 GoPro 720p 60fps videos - I have even clipped them down to 1 minute each - still no go - 5 seconds into playback and everything locks up.  Intel i7 8gb ram 1gb on video (Mac) AMD 3.2 Quad 12gb ram 2gb on video (PC)  Something we are doing is wrong - I don't know (personally) anyone that can get more then two/three at most to work? I see people all over the net frustrated to no end with this so I know it's not just me?  I know some of you say you get it to work, and I saw it work at NAB - but in person - mope and I know folks with the best of the best and 38gb running files form an SSD drive - and still - no go?  Seems I'm just chasing another Adobe Ghost!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 31, 2013 Jul 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had a similar problem appear with my current project (46 mins - all jpg stills plus sound tracks) so knew it wasn't an identical bug/fault/undocumented feature as most of the symptoms reported by other users related to digital movie footage and razor cuts etc.  However by latteral interpretation of what users in various places were suggesting and a bit of experimentation I cured it.

Answer is it is a preview rendering issue,

At first I thought it was because some was showing green some red so ran the preview render option to make it all green bars.  8 hour run time wasted as no change.

I then re;oaded an earlier save dating from before I noticed the problem had started on with the section of show I was working on.  I noted the red bar areas worked Ok the green bar areas were jerky and with images running behind the progress/scrubber line.

Clearing all the render previews to make the whole lot red barred seems to have fixed it for me. Thank you therefore "thehopeofall" for your hint in post 16 above.

Message was edited by: John (SLS Publicity) - spelling and grammar changes only

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines