22 Replies Latest reply: Jun 2, 2012 11:59 AM by danpbphoto RSS

CS6-Major Installation Problems!

danpbphoto Community Member

I installed CS6 on my new photoediting  computer only yesterday. It has become a total nightmare!!! I had CS5, luckily, on it prior and left it installed upon installing CS6.

I have tons of memory and tons of HD space. Windows 7 i7 quad core

"Preferences>Memory Usage= Available=3255MB>PScs6 Use=1953mb(60%)

Of course Tech Support is only open M-F so I got nowhere except upon my own.

1) Have new Canon 5DMK3- Adobe preq's states that minimum for this camera in ACR is 7.0-not so!!! ACR Update manager sez I have all the latest updates for ACR!!

2) After realizing that I needed ACR7.1, upon downloading 7.1 I got constant errors saying I needed an updated Adobe Application Manager!

3) Now once I got all these fixed, I now cannot save any non edit tif,jpg,psd..without "checkerboarding" in the image!!! From ANY camera!!!

CS6-1.jpg

Any image saved as a jpg,tif,psd looks like this with varied placement of chekerboarding.

4) yet if opened in CS5 looks fine!!!!

5) What happened to the Bridge icon in the tool bar from CS5?

HELP!!

Dan

• 1. Re: CS6-Major Installation Problems!
          Curt Y Community Member

The Application Bar that had BR and other functions is gone in CS6.  They wanted more space I guess.

What you are describing is video card problems.  Disable OpenGL (use graphics processor) and see if that helps.  If if does it is probably a video card driver.  Make sure you have the latest, unless you have an ATI card and then use 12.2 rather than 12.4.

• 2. Re: CS6-Major Installation Problems!

Not sure why you say video card when CS5 works fine and all other imaging works fine displaying an image?????

Why would it discriminate between CR2 files that are ok and any other extension???

I have the latest NVIDIA GT240 v301.42 video card.

• 3. Re: CS6-Major Installation Problems!
              Chris Cox Adobe Employee

CS6 uses more OpenGL features, and uses some differently.

The source of the image doesn't matter at all to Photoshop.

You're still most likely looking at a driver bug.

• 4. Re: CS6-Major Installation Problems!

You are most likely correct Chris.

After much deliberation and testing I finally got Win7 to post an error pointing to the NVIDIA GT240 card. The only fix, AT THIS TIME, is altering the Windows registry to alter the "Windows Time Out Limit".

I will call NVIDIA Tuesday unless someoine here can walk me through the fix.

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nvidia.cfg/php/enduser/std adp.php?pfaqid=3007

which points to a Windows Vista alteration of the registry file.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg487368.aspx

If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

Dan

• 5. Re: CS6-Major Installation Problems!
                  Curt Y Community Member

Have you gone to the Nvidia site and see if you have the latest driver for your card and OS?

• 6. Re: CS6-Major Installation Problems!

YES!!!! First thing I did upon getting the error.

I am not a "computer savvy" person, so altering the registry to alter the timing is very intimidating to me.

Hence asking for some kind help here.

Dan

• 7. Re: CS6-Major Installation Problems!
                      Curt Y Community Member

I agree on the resistry thing.  Rather unusal, have not seen this one.

I would also recommend to miminize problems you do NOT uninstall prior verson of PS.  Can add to problems.

Have you reset preferences?  Start PS and IMMEDIATELY hold down Ctrl + Alt + Shift keys.  You will get a reset window.  If you see splash screen you are too late.

• 8. Re: CS6-Major Installation Problems!

Curt,

Just spent 90 minutes on phone with NVIDIA Tech Support.

You were correct! The video card I am using is NOT compatible with minimum CS6.

I am not happy about this because I specifically called the Adobe Store to order my copy of CS6 and they verified that my GT240 was more than enough to handle CS6.

I never remove previous version of PS...PS5 works fine so I will use it until I decide either to upgrade video card or refund CS6

Dan

• 9. Re: CS6-Major Installation Problems!
                          Curt Y Community Member

OK, sorry to hear that, but thanks for letting us know.

Adobe says the 240 card should work, but I see your card is a GT240.  What does the GT stand for and is that why it is not compatable with CS6?

Would be useful for others to be able to tell if their card will work or not.

Thanks

• 10. Re: CS6-Major Installation Problems!

According to NVIDIA Tech Support,on Adobe's website it tells what cards are compatible. Tech said GT240 was not and that Adobe lists the GT470 as the minimum. I am NOT a "gamer" only photo editing. Don't know what GT stands for but I am assuming that the increase in the newer functins in CS^, like you stated above, is the cause of the "checkerboarding" and GPU time outs.

Now can you suggest, or anyone suggest a more than adequate video card for a Win7 PC 2 years old i7 quad core DVI video, PCe slot?

Dan

• 11. Re: CS6-Major Installation Problems!

I may have been SCAMMED by NVIDIA Curt!!!!

I just viewed CS6 video card performance and yes my 200 series was in there!!!

I also went into PS CS6 Settings>Performance> GPS> unchecked the "Use GP" and it is working fine!

Now I am not sure what that is telling me at all..I am more confused no than ever!!

Dan

• 12. Re: CS6-Major Installation Problems!
                                rjbphoto1 Community Member

Hi, I have the same problem with the same video card, in fact I posted a question about it here http://forums.adobe.com/message/4445450#4445450

Didn't really get me anywhere but I did what you just said "I also went into PS CS6 Settings>Performance> GPS> unchecked the "Use GP" and it is working fine!" and its working fine for me too.

• 13. Re: CS6-Major Installation Problems!
                                  Chris Cox Adobe Employee

Because you are no longer calling the GPU functions that contain the bug.

Your driver still has bugs, but you've bypassed them by not using the GPU for displaying your image.

• 14. Re: CS6-Major Installation Problems!

Is this a problem?

• 15. Re: CS6-Major Installation Problems!
                                      Chris Cox Adobe Employee

You're missing all the features that use the GPU - so yes, that could be a problem.

And your display performance is now reduced.

You really should turn the GPU functions back on once your video card driver gets the bugs fixed.

• 16. Re: CS6-Major Installation Problems!

Yes, even though I am "technically challenged" with PS, I did realize that this was all that I was doing.

Dan.. Thanks Chris!

• 17. Re: CS6-Major Installation Problems!

"rjbphoto1",

You need to call NVIDIA Tech Support and open an "Incident" report for documentation of the problem.

The NVIDIA "canned" answer is "this is a new one for us". I responded why then does the error come up pointing the Event Log to a NVIDIA website and error location for help?

Good luck!

Like Chris sez, we are really defeating the full use of CS6 and the video card.

Dan

• 18. Re: CS6-Major Installation Problems!

This is weird, I turned "Use GP" on again this morning and ahev had no problem since then.

• 19. Re: CS6-Major Installation Problems!

Chris,

Adobe has opened a Case# on this problem. It has been escalated to Tier 2 Support because Adobe believes that this video card shouldNOT have been included in the "OK to Use" CS6 Tech Review.

If you need the case # PM or email me and I will give it to you.

Dan

• 20. Re: CS6-Major Installation Problems!

According to Adobe Escalation Senior Support, there IS an issue with CS6 and some GeForcecards that are listed as "OK" for CS6.

• 21. Re: CS6-Major Installation Problems!

Adobe has still not addressed this issue. A new GT240 card was sent by computer manufacturer and problem still exists so that would lead me to believe that it is a CS6 problem.

My Adobe Case# has not been addressed since Monday and Adobe Tech Support will not respond for my request for help.

Curt, do you have an suggestions?

Dan

• 22. Re: CS6-Major Installation Problems!

I have received the Escalation Team response and they say it is the NVIDIA card. The GT240 will not use the GPU processes in CS6 properly. They also state that it will happen using any other post processing software.

That is blantantly false because I tested it in CS5, CS5.5, LR4 and Canon's DPP and Image Browser and they work fine.

I am awaiting an new GTX670 card then we will go from there.

Now I also have a reply to the NVIDIA Case# and they say that it is an Adobe problem. This is only 1 of 3 answers below from NVIDIA.

Subject
                                                    Unable to work with Adobe CS 6 application
                                                    Discussion Thread
                                                    Response Via Email (Arun)06/01/2012 06:32 PM
                                                    Hello Dan,

I am sorry for the inconveniences being caused but since the issue persists with all the driver versions you have tried we suspect that the issue may not be related to the graphics card or its drivers as we are successfully able to install all the recommended drivers

However also note that the issue occurs only when trying to save the image file and not while trying to work on the image file or render hence the issue does not seem to be related to the NVIDIA graphics card or its drivers

While trying to check for possible causes I came across the following information that if the Scratch Disks are selected on the hard drive that is not able to provide enough space for the file to work on then such issues may occur. You may try the following steps

1. Open Adobe CS6
                                                    2. Press "Ctrl + K'
                                                    3. Select Scratch Disks and check the hard drive selected (C:\ or e:\, etc.,)

Select a drive which has adequate free space, selecting C:\ may not provide enough resources for the application

Please let us know if the above information was helpful and continue to post us for any further queries and we would be glad to assist you

Warm Regards,
                                                    Arun S
                                                    NVIDIA Customer Care
                                                    Customer By Email (Dan Brodt)