Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Command Line Compile and Index

May 24, 2012 May 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When doing a command line compile for a project, it is pulling in the wrong index. In our project, we have two indices: One contains an old index that we are reluctant to remove in the event it is needed again, and another (the default index of the project) is a blank index.

When I compile the project through Robohelp, the blank index is pulled in, and there is no index displayed in the final output (chm). There is a tab for the contents, the search, and the glossary. However, when doing this through the command line using the exact same ssl, the index is included and it is pulling in the old index that contains data.

Does anyone know of a way to stop this from occurring other than probably removing the old index?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 25, 2012 May 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See if Bill Albing's article hosted on my site helps.

http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/command_line/command_line.htm

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please check which index is selected in the SSL dialog, which ever index is selected in SSL will go in output.

Hope this will help

Ashish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The <Default> index is selected, and this is the index that is blank and never outputs to the chm when compiled from within Robohelp. But for some reason, it's pulling in the other index that is not the default and is not selected in the SSL dialog.

If I delete the old index, it works correctly. Logically, this doesn't make sense since the SSL file itself (when opened outside of RH in Notepad) shows that the index is set to <Default>.

Peter, I had read your article on your site, but I didn't find anything to help with this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rather than setting the value in the SSL to <Default Index> try selecting the actual index file you require.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried selecting the index I wanted in the output, and it works when compiling once. On the second compile, it does not use that index and instead switches to the index that is historical.

Additionally, I found other problems when doing a command line compile:

The glossary is not loaded into the output chm. In the HHP file, the glossary name is correct before being compiled via command line. Once I compile and check the HHP file again, the glossary name is replaced with the name of the project (e.g. the original glossary was called glos1.glo, but it was replaced by <projectName>.glo, where <projectName> is the name of the project. The output itself does not contain a glossary, as that glossary does not exist.

Additionally, merged chm files in the project are not being merged. The HHP is overwriting the default value--just the file name--I have in it (e.g., <projectName>.chm) and replacing it with the direct file path (e.g. C:\Projects\ProjectName\Output\<mergedFile>.chm). As a result, obviously, the chm does not contain the merged chm information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Make your index as default index which you want to use in your Output.  In the HTML Help Options make sure the index is Default, Then run your commadn prompt as Run as Admin, change the directory to the Robohelp Insatll folder using command cd C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 9\RoboHTML and then run the command.

Hope it helps

Thanks

VJ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your suggestion is exactly what I am doing, and the above results are what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If possible, test the same in a different computer as I am able to get the index which i want

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 26, 2012 May 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For whatever reason, the HHP file keeps using the wrong index even on different computers. I'm wondering if this is due to SVN. I'm not sure, but it still isn't working correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 26, 2012 May 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You had not mentioned source control before. See Item 1 at http://www.grainge.org/pages/snippets/snippets.htm#sourcecontrol

The HHP file should not be checked in.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 29, 2012 May 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tested this. I moved a project out (so it was no longer under version control) and deleted the hhp file. Then I opened the project, which rebuilt the hhp file.

When I generated the output, the merged chm file was not included, and the hhp file was modified to give the full file path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have not included the version of RoboHelp you are using.

See Item 13 at http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/rh9/using_rh9.htm if you are using RoboHelp 9. Note also the shading of that item indicating it was fixed in a service release.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apologies for not including the version. I'm using RoboHelp 9.0.2. After the upgrade from 8 to 9, I went through and rebuilt all the TOCs, modified the HHP, and essentially did the steps documented in the PDF you pointed to. The project builds fine from within RoboHelp. There is never an absolute path. It's only when the project is built by command line the path reappears.

I will repeat the steps and see if that cures the problem.

[UPDATE] I completed the steps outlined in your PDF to correct the full file path from being in the HHP. If I build the project within RoboHelp, the merged file is included. But when I did the command line compile, the merged file not included.

[UPDATE again] Sorry, I just thought I would check a few other things. After doing all the steps again in the PDF then doing a command line compile, the HHP file is being updated following the compile to include the absolute path to the chm. Additionally, the merged chm file is being included now, but it is not being included in the browse sequence.

On a side note, is there a way to stop the hhp file from changing the order of the merged files? For example, I have several projects merged into a single master project in alphabetical order. However, when I compile the project in RoboHelp, the file order is modified, which causes the browse sequence to not be in alphabetical order. To fix this, I have a text file that contains the correct order of the merged chm files. I copy and paste it into the hhp file, then recompile again, and it works perfectly. But I always have to compile twice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 30, 2012 May 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry but I don't have answers to those points.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp