6 Replies Latest reply: May 30, 2012 3:30 AM by davo56 RSS

settings for SD DVD output

davo56 Community Member

Hi

Is there any advantage in editing in 1080 x 50 if final product will be on SD DVD?

Thanks

Norman

• 1. Re: settings for SD DVD output
          John T Smith CommunityModerator

I edit AVCHD and let Premiere Pro "down-rez" to DV AVI to create a DVD

You should always edit in the "native" format for the best quality... then export to the format needed for your destination

• 2. Re: settings for SD DVD output
            Jim_Simon Community Member

The disadvantage of doing so is that the media needs to be scaled.  That's best avoided whenever possible.

If you will never need an HD version, I say shoot in SD.

• 3. Re: settings for SD DVD output
              davo56 Community Member

Thanks to both.

Jim - I've 'shot' wedding in 1080 x 50 so the question is what sequence setting to use in premiere.

A second camera was used with 1080 x 25.

After editing i would hope to use Adobe Dynamic Link to take project to Encore for burning after addition of menus / chapters etc.

Norman

• 4. Re: settings for SD DVD output
                Jim_Simon Community Member

what sequence setting to use in premiere.

Not sure about that.  I always take care to have all footage match specs (or at least frame rates).

• 5. Re: settings for SD DVD output
                  Ann Bens ACP/MVPs

I would set it to 1080 25.

Best setting for export is mpeg2-dvd high qualty, you can tweak the settings a bit.

If you are on CS5.5 do not use DL it messes with the fields; export from Premiere.

With CS6 you can use DL and set it to auto.

• 6. Re: settings for SD DVD output
                    davo56 Community Member

Thanks for that Ann.

I've done small samples at 720 x 25  720 x 50 1080 x 25  1080 x 50 before using Dynamic Link (which I must admit I've found very convenient and effective previously) to set up in Encore and burn without extras such as menus.

Playing back on a 37" TV we can't see a discernible difference apart from a little shimmer on horizontal lines.

I think I'll press ahead with 720 x 25 with this project which is what I've used before and am confident with but would welcome more advice on this topic.

I wonder if these settings would be even more critical should I need to output to Blue Ray

Norman