6 Replies Latest reply: May 30, 2012 3:30 AM by davo56 RSS

settings for SD DVD output

davo56 Community Member

Hi

Is there any advantage in editing in 1080 x 50 if final product will be on SD DVD?

Thanks

Norman

• 1. Re: settings for SD DVD output
          John T Smith MVP

I edit AVCHD and let Premiere Pro "down-rez" to DV AVI to create a DVD

You should always edit in the "native" format for the best quality... then export to the format needed for your destination

• 2. Re: settings for SD DVD output
            J. Simon Community Member

The disadvantage of doing so is that the media needs to be scaled.  That's best avoided whenever possible.

If you will never need an HD version, I say shoot in SD.

• 3. Re: settings for SD DVD output
              davo56 Community Member

Thanks to both.

Jim - I've 'shot' wedding in 1080 x 50 so the question is what sequence setting to use in premiere.

A second camera was used with 1080 x 25.

After editing i would hope to use Adobe Dynamic Link to take project to Encore for burning after addition of menus / chapters etc.

Norman

• 4. Re: settings for SD DVD output
                J. Simon Community Member

what sequence setting to use in premiere.

Not sure about that.  I always take care to have all footage match specs (or at least frame rates).

• 5. Re: settings for SD DVD output
                  Ann Bens ACP/MVPs

I would set it to 1080 25.

Best setting for export is mpeg2-dvd high qualty, you can tweak the settings a bit.

If you are on CS5.5 do not use DL it messes with the fields; export from Premiere.

With CS6 you can use DL and set it to auto.

• 6. Re: settings for SD DVD output
                    davo56 Community Member

Thanks for that Ann.

I've done small samples at 720 x 25  720 x 50 1080 x 25  1080 x 50 before using Dynamic Link (which I must admit I've found very convenient and effective previously) to set up in Encore and burn without extras such as menus.

Playing back on a 37" TV we can't see a discernible difference apart from a little shimmer on horizontal lines.

I think I'll press ahead with 720 x 25 with this project which is what I've used before and am confident with but would welcome more advice on this topic.

I wonder if these settings would be even more critical should I need to output to Blue Ray

Norman