4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 1, 2012 7:16 PM by cquartomtsu RSS

Hyperlinks don't work in fillable pdf forms

cquartomtsu

I have a question for you folks and am hoping you can help me.  I am using Adobe Acrobat X Professional.  I want to create "fillable" pdf forms which include hyperlinks.  When I create a pdf form and "Save as" a "Reader extended PDF" and "Enable additional features" the hyperlinks don't work.  I save the document this way in order to produce a fill-in pdf document.  However, if I save the document as a regular pdf (i.e., not reader extended/non-fillable pdf form) then the hyperlinks work.  Any ideas how I can get the hyperlinks to work in a fillable pdf form?  Thanks!

Chris Quarto

• 1. Re: Hyperlinks don't work in fillable pdf forms
          dave_m_k Adobe Employee

Hi Chris,

I'm not able to duplicate the issue.  I've created a Reader Extended PDF file and I'm still able to click on links.  How were these links created?  Were they made in Acrobat?

-David

• 2. Re: Hyperlinks don't work in fillable pdf forms
            MichaelKazlow ACP/MVPs

Is there any chance these links were not created by the link tool but are autorecongized links?

• 3. Re: Hyperlinks don't work in fillable pdf forms
              cquartomtsu Community Member

Hi David:

The links were created in Microsoft Word prior to me converting the Word document to a pdf.

Thanks!

Chris

• 4. Re: Hyperlinks don't work in fillable pdf forms
                cquartomtsu Community Member

Hi Michael:

I'm sorry...I wish I knew what "autorecognized links" were.  :  (  As I mentioned in my reply to David, I created the hyperlinks in Microsoft Word before I converted the Word document to a pdf. 

I have resolved the problem and posted my step-by-step solution a few days ago, but for some reason I don't see it in this forum.  It kind of goes like this...to get hyperlinks to work with fillable pdf's:

1. Create Microsoft Word document and save when done.

2. While in Word, click on "Acrobat" on menu bar (assuming you have installed Adobe Acrobat X Pro on your computer) and "Create pdf;" confirm that hyperlinks work and close document.

3. Open pdf document with Acrobat Pro and selected "Create pdf form."

4. Edit the "fillable" parts of the document (e.g., make all fields/text boxes 10 pt. font size...I wish there was a way of setting the default so you wouldn't have to manually do this for each field/box, but haven't figured out how to do that one yet).

5. Close form editing.

6. Select File --> Save as --> Reader extended pdf --> Enable additional features.

7. Save file

8. Close file and re-open to verify that hyperlinks and fields work/are fillable.

That's my solution.  There's probably an easier way to do this, but it works.

Thanks,

Chris