9 Replies Latest reply: Jun 5, 2012 4:04 PM by bosdog p RSS

CS6 hangs

bosdog p

i just installed CS6 on a win 7 pro machine (32 gigs RAM, quadro 4000 card, intel i7 3930K CPU), and premiere hangs right after launch, sometimes a minute after launch.  photoshop, too.  so far, no problems with bridge or illustrator.  has anyone else countered this?  the adobe rep with whom i spoke was at a loss...  thanks.

• 1. Re: CS6 hangs
          Mylenium ACP/MVPs

Update your graphics card driver and configure it properly.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: CS6 hangs
            bosdog p Community Member

thanks, mylenium.  i've updated the driver.  what do you mean by "configure it properly"?

also, i take it back--bridge has now crashed, too. immediately after launch, like the others.

thanks.

• 3. Re: CS6 hangs
              Mylenium ACP/MVPs

What is "properly", is entirely up to your configuration. I was merely indicating that quite obviously your issues are graphics related due to openGL in both programs not working as it should...

Mylenium

• 4. Re: CS6 hangs

thanks.  that's a very open-ended comment, though  if you don't mind my asking, what do you think are some configuration missteps that could be causing this?

thanks.

• 5. Re: CS6 hangs

for anyone else having this issue--i uninstalled the ndivida driver, and the freezing stopped.  i'm not leveraging the quadro 4000's power when i run CS6, so it's not a tenable solution, but as the software is not freezing. it seems the conflict is between CS6 and nvidia's driver...

• 6. Re: CS6 hangs

here's a temporary hack:

beta driver version 301.42

override global settings on a per-application basis via the "manage 3d settings" UI

set "OpenGL rendering GPU" to auto-select, which i believe bounces the decision to the application

in premiere, turn off MPE (at project creation or from project settings-> general)

this is not a long-term solution, but at least i've been able to use premiere for 5 minutes without it freezing, which is a new record by several orders of magnitude

i hope adobe fixes this soon, as this is a fatal problem that renders the card effectively unusuable with premiere pro 6.

• 7. Re: CS6 hangs

well, never mind.  as soon as i tried to adjust the brightness in the appearance setting, the application froze again...

• 8. Re: CS6 hangs

just an update--the same thing is happening with premiere pro and the gtx 580 card.

• 9. Re: CS6 hangs

i reinstalled the OS, updated the BIOS, and updated all motherboard drivers.  so far, all is working well with GTX 580.